Differing learning styles. Can the LAW OF EXCEPTION be reached intuitively?

Woodsman

The Living Force
I am new to this forum, and I am currently reading through the many posts in this section, (The Work), but I have not finished yet. It appears to be often repeated that regular posting is not just encouraged, but in fact required for positive effects to take place. Towards this end, I wanted to post an observation which has been floating around in me for some time and which struck home again today.

It may be that this thought has been covered before, so if I am treading old ground, I apologize.

This post is also rather longer than I'd anticipated, so I thank those in advance who are patient enough to read through it. I am also asking at the end for readers to invest some energy in dissecting it.

Differing learning styles.

While going through the various definitions and their explanations of the Gurdjieff method, I found myself recognizing something I have encountered before.

What struck me was that what I was reading reminded me a great deal of the grammar lessons I had received while moving through the school system. Nouns, pronouns, adjectives and the various rules for how they all fit together to form functional sentences. The mathematics of how that language worked.

Gurdjieff appears to have reduced The Work into just such a set of clinically reduced systems.

Such systems make a lot of sense. --To understand a language, for instance, in a scientific way, it is necessary to break it down into observable patterns and determine how they interact with one another. With enough observable repetitions of a given interaction, one may ascribe a name or a "Rule" to that type of interaction. After enough study, the entire language may be reduced to a reliable set of rules which can then be used in a clinical manner to communicate what is happening within any given instance of the Language. When a piece of language is confused or feels wrong, but the speaker/writer cannot immediately determine what the problem is, the set of rules may be referred to in order to work out what the problem is.

In theory, it is rational to assume that one who wishes to learn a new language do so by studying the rules of that language.

This assumption, however, does not bear out in practice. There is a missing component.

In every language class, it is well understood that to properly learn how to speak a language, one must engage in using that language with other speakers. The objective is for the language to become an automatic, unconscious feature of the individual using it. Like learning how to walk, most human 'walkers' cannot summon the conscious intellectual resources necessary to instruct each individual muscle required to take steps. (Or at least, I don't remember doing this when I was small.) The same is true for language; to be useful, the user cannot hope to function effectively by consciously assembling the rules of that language in his or her mind to construct sentences.

You can probably see where I'm going here. . .

When I was growing up, I found that I had tremendous difficulty in learning and memorizing the precise components and specifically named rules of the English and French languages. They baffled me, my mind resisted it, perhaps more so than other students. It drove me mad with a kind of internal rebellion and frustration. Before I was old enough to recognize that teachers were not always right, I found myself realizing that there was something different about me. --I knew I was a smart kid; I had the ability to function effectively within and understand the workings of the world around me which appeared to be, in most cases, in advance of most of the other children. My interests and hobbies often involved complex activities. The sciences interested me greatly, and I eagerly absorbed my father's teachings, (he was an electrical engineer with many other areas of knowledge). I built from both construction toys and raw materials creations which other children seemed astonished by. However, while I dug into these fields with enormous enthusiasm, whenever I encountered the Rules for any given field, I found that my brain resisted them with force.

I found school to be very difficult, and I failed math courses and did poorly in language classes whenever it came to the scientific specifics of words. Science was a heart-break; for all my love of science classes, by the time I reached mid-way through highschool, I found that advancing in my favorite classes, (Electronics, Physics and Chemistry) became impossible when I butted up against the immutable walls presented by the hard maths required beyond certain levels.

--Curiously, unlike with the language classes, in the sciences, the hard and unchanging laws of force and motion, made a lot of sense. When working entirely in the theoretical world of frictionless Newtonian space, I found I was able to solve problems with ease. But in the real world. . . In electronics class, in the marvelous realm of AC electricity from which Tesla created wonders, I was a plodding Edison able only the muster a hobbyist's understanding of the DC circuit. And I was in LOVE with these courses! I would have, with great joy, become a scientist if I'd had the capacity.

I worked with a tutor to help me through some of the more complex forms of math, but little progress was made. To my great shame, I failed tests, exams and eventually whole courses. I barely managed to graduate from high school due to my horrible math scores.

In the end, I moved into the arts, where the barriers simply didn't exist, and I excelled. I can paint, draw and write with ease, and have earned a living at it; learning those skills took a lot of work, but it was work which made sense and where progress, unlike in the sciences, resulted from my repeated application of effort.

Anyway. . , to aim this back towards the point. . .

I failed French. The clinical aspect of it eluded me. But when I was trouping around in France, within a month, I found I had picked up a lot of the language; I could feel it igniting inside me. Two months later, on the plane ride home, I was able to chat in broken French with the couple sitting beside me. It felt like a laugh bubbling inside me as I learned it. It was fun and it was easy! (Though, don't ask me to repeat anything now; that was many years ago and I have forgotten it all.)

In English class, I was fortunate. That class I passed. --The clinical rules were left behind years before I'd entered high school; it was assumed that students had picked up the basics, (I had not), and so in later years we focused on reading books and writing and thinking. This was enormously fun, and I flew through that stuff with high marks.

Now, when looking over the Gurdjieff system, I see it all again. Systems and rules and, (to me), excruciatingly baffling ways to describe reality.

I seem to learn by allowing my automatic elements to assemble effective, intuitive systems which I then use to navigate and affect reality. I also have a deep knowing that I can also use this style of learning can be used to advance up through the various levels of awareness. --Or to use some of the terminology, to move from the GENERAL LAW toward the LAW OF EXCEPTION. (The definitions for which have already escaped me.)

Now, here's the problem!

It is entirely possible that I am fooling myself; that this "deep knowing" is in fact a lie the predator is insisting upon. The thing is, I really do believe what I have written here.

I would be grateful, if those present and patient enough, would do me the favor of putting this little treatise without mercy through the proverbial crucible to see what comes out the other end.

Thank-you!

Woodsman:

What you have written is a not uncommon response to those newly introduced to the ideas of Gurdjieff and the Work. In fact, it was very much my own initial response. Heck, it's a response I have experienced many many times, after the many false starts I made before finally committing myself to the process, and with every new hurdle and challenge that I am presented with.

The part of us that does not want to wake up, that does not want to see ourselves as we are, that is desperate to maintain its fuzzy, hazy perception of the self and the world we live in, will do and say ANYTHING to avoid being exposed. That part will try and convince you that you are "different" and "special", that you don't need to do the Work like other mere mortals, that given time you will come to the answers "naturally" and "intuitively" -- i.e. "painlessly", "conveniently", "in ways that feel good".... It's like a kid who has gotten away without doing much homework, by correctly "guessing" answers in class. Before long he forgets that he is actually "conning" those around him, and comes to believe that he's really some kind of genius who doesn't need all those books and learning. When it comes time to take tests and exams, he panics -- because he knows he will be exposed for the lying and lazy boy he is.

Gurdjieff says that the only people ready for the Work are those who have reached a point of "bankruptcy" in their lives. As Laura put it in Depression as a Stepping Stone:

The true, deep, inner work cannot even begin until the novice has passed through this general bankruptcy and has had all his "gods" thrown to the ground. He will sometimes feel bitter regret as his beautiful dreams vanish, but at the same time, he will feel himself more and more liberated. His growing sincerity towards himself will establish an atmosphere of truth in his inner life. The law proclaims: "Ye shall know the Truth and the truth shall make you free."

Perhaps you are not ready for the Work, in which case maybe you should simply admit that to yourself, as a first step towards self-honesty. Or perhaps you are simply daunted by the enormity of the Work, intimidated by the language of Gurdjieff and some of those that write about the Work. Which is where the networking aspect of this group comes in. Sometimes people need a complex idea explained to them, broken down if you will, into simpler terms. Requests for that kind of help will be always be met by this forum's moderators with patience, sympathy, and encouragement.

However, any argument towards the necessity of a "lite" or "buffet" version of the Work, for those who learn "intuitively", isn't going to get far here. The Work is exactly that -- WORK -- and there's no getting around that. One cannot pick and choose the parts of the Work that they "like" , that are "fun" and "interesting", and make them "feel good" about themselves; and simply skip over those that involve hard work, unpleasant revelations, and the sacrifice of one's daydreams and sacred cows....

:)

Hi Woodsman;

Your post reminded me of the time I was researching for the best way to learn a new language.
I had almost bought into the 'immersion' method, or osmosis absorption - where you will eventually 'get it' by incessant exposure to repeated patterns. But there is a flaw in that idea. The fact is, that method works fine when you are bringing a 'blank slate' to the learning experience. In other words, there are no pre-existing competing patterns, distorted understandings, or other more familiar ways of thinking/saying/doing things to overcome.

But there are, aren't there? Your mind is already wired for your native language, as it is for thinking defaults. The Work doesn't support the learning style that works best for you because there are certain steps that are exact and must be taken with pre-requisites in place or you risk losing everything you have gained up to that point.

There's an additional complication with intuitive learning styles. The very real phenomenon of not being able to recall what you 'know' when your emotional state changes. The rule goes something like: What you can remember under stress depends on what you learned under stress and vice versa. In essense, When you 'pick up things' in a relatively fun, calm environment, you will be much less likely to recall when under duress of some kind because the knowledge is not linked to your knowing, or essense, but rather some rule of arbitrary association which can vanish at the most inconvienient times.

We (you and I) seem to have similar orientations towards the maths. I never went beyond business math when I graduated high school. The problem started in 8th grade. My teacher liked to use stress to increase our discipline and concentration. While we were taking an exam, she would walk around the classroom talking. This was too distracting to me and caused me to emotionally boil, and I couldn't think straight. I was kinda gun-shy after that, doing anything to avoid the struggle to comprehend, because 'it was just too hard'.

I think that's probably your problem here...your associations of the discipline and struggle of math (and formulas) with what you see about the Work so far. Learning can be fun. In some subjects, though, you may need to start at the ground (baby's eye view) and just take it step by step, not looking forward until you are sure your feet are on the ground.

In my view, there's a reason why the path is straight and narrow. The predator has us outflanked on every other side.

--fwiw :)

Hi Woodsman,

I'm relatively new to the work as well. There were times when I wished that someone had written a book called The Work For Dummies but alas, there is no such tome. I was used to sailing through school and making good grades without really applying myself. I think it would be fair to say that I can be quite intellectually lazy at times. (Okay, a lot of the time). When I first began my quest for the truth I used to take notes on all of the books that I read but that practice fell by the wayside. Now, I'm starting it again after realizing that I don't know as much as I think I should know about subjects that I've studied or books that I've read.
It's like I'll read something or acquire some new knowledge and then it will fade over time or I'll get distracted and just be left with a general impression of the material. For example, vaccines: bad. People: mechanical, etc.
Repetition and hearing concepts explained in several different ways by different people is helpful. And sometimes one just isn't ready to incorporate certain knowledge at one's current level. Another example: I'd read about mechanicalness of people several times before I actually FELT my own mechanicalness. When I realized it I became physically ill.

What does the Cassiopaia Glossary say about the law of exception?

Thus the cell in our bodies is subject or placed under two categories or "rules" of laws.

The first keeps the cell in its place. In Esoteric Science this is referred to as the GENERAL LAW. The second category of laws leaves a certain liberty of action for the cell. This is called the LAW OF EXCEPTION.

and

...BUT the analogy stops here in relation to man's efforts to escape the General Law of mechanical life and his efforts to pass into the second category of laws that provide the framework for him to pass on into the Law of Exception. In the above analogy the infinitesimal amount of cells that pass from the General Law into the Law of Exception are MECHANICAL. But for man, it happens differently. When man attempts to migrate from the General Law of life to the Law of Exception then it can only be done by CONSCIOUS efforts. Then the General Law works against him.

...so migration into the Law of Exception can only be done by CONSCIOUS efforts, not by intutition. It may have been intution or some inner pull that caused us all to begin this quest and it can be of help in moments of indecision but IMHO it's not enough.

It's not called the WORK for nothing.

Hi Woodsman,

When first coming across the Work there does appear to be a lot of formulas, rules and such but that's only the surface. Someone who is a type who really likes the intellectual aspect of the Work can have as much if not more trouble actually Doing the Work than someone who finds much initial difficulty with it. The challenge is in overcoming the 'like and dislike' of the personality. Our personality is our programed behavior that keeps us asleep. Doing the Work is the process of getting out of our programs so we can wake up.

An immediate attraction in reading Work concepts can go unnoticed and easily mistaken for doing the Work when it is not. This is particularly true for Ouspenski's introductory book, "In Search of the Miraculous", which was written by an intellectual who seemed to have quite the block in getting beyond the intellectual piece. That's not meant to undervalue his book because it certainly is an essential fragment of an unknown teaching. As far as I can see, dislike of the Work is more apparent than like of the Work and indicative of one of two things; either the Work is for that person or it is not. If it is, the individual is faced with an initial struggle which constitutes actually Doing some Work even before really getting into it's concepts. There seems opposing advantages and disadvantages with 'like of Work' and 'dislike of Work', but in the end it's the same battle. I hope that makes sense.

Reading through Laura's Wave series could also be beneficial before starting on specific 4th Way books. If you've already done that and you're interested in picking up some Work books, a good first could Gurdjieff's 'Meetings with Remarkable Men' rather than Ouspenski's "In search of the Miraculous" (which you may want to read after).

Woodsman, we DO try to present the concepts in many contexts and "languages" so that people who have different learning styles can be accommodated. That is why there is a lot of repetition in the Wave and Adventures and even here on the forum. Whenever I see a story or situation that is a good example of one or another principle of "The Work," I try to point it out, to quote some of the same things over again in the new context, to show how associative learning is practiced.

It should also be born in mind that I did not follow the "rules of Gurdjieff" consciously! Though, after the fact, I could see that, yeah, the steps were in a certain order as he described them, and I could see the reason for the order.

Yeah, he was trying to create a more or less mechanical system that would work on anybody who diligently applied it. Maybe it could, and he obviously had some success with his pupils, but not many of them, and not necessarily long lasting. Once he was dead, it seems that his "4th way work" ended and those he left only continued on in imitation with no real source of inspiration.

We have a somewhat different way of working, though we certainly use Gurdjieff's work as foundational - at least the things he discovered. We use a lot of different terminology and often will relate those terms, one to another.

For example, the work of Dabrowski is useful for explaining some things, just like some of Castaneda's way of explaining things was a good adjunct to Gurdjieff's way, and the same with Mouravieff. And of course, Martha Stout's "Myth of Sanity" comes very close to a clinical description of the problem of many "personalities" or a "loose confederation of *I*s. Put that in Dabrowski's structure, plop Dabrowski's structure into the appropriate slot in Gurdjieff's system, add some descriptive terms from Castaneda, some explication of details from Mouravieff, and put the whole thing in the framework provided by the Cs, and we almost have all the fragments put back together.

Then, add the work on psychopathology, hyperdimensions, and bit by bit, we are building a rather dynamic and interesting explanation for the order of the universe that actually seems to cover all the various anomalies and issues we all experience and face.

Thank-you, everybody for your responses.

I can see that I share similarities in thinking with everybody who posted.

The Work itself isn't the part which bothered me. (Well, it does, but only in the manner of considering the day's work-out routine, push-ups and running and whatnot.) --It was the idea of describing the elephant using only a single perspective which I have in the past found myself poorly designed for. --I do, however, recognize that there is a good deal of laziness in me, and that, particularly during my school years, I often used the truth of different learning styles as an excuse for not working. That aspect of me needs to go.

Upon reflection, I realized that knowledge of language mechanics aided me considerably when I was trekking through Europe in my youth. --The frustrating study undertaken in French classes at school came back to me at useful junctures which sped along my more intuitive learning style, complimenting it.

With this in mind, I shall endeavor to master a working version of the various terms and systems offered by Gurdjieff. It can only help, and it needn't displace, (except where a truth negates a falsehood), the items in my existing tool box.

Thanks again for your input. : )

Woodsman said:
With this in mind, I shall endeavor to master a working version of the various terms and systems offered by Gurdjieff. It can only help, and it needn't displace, (except where a truth negates a falsehood), the items in my existing tool box.

That's a good way of thinking about it. Again, please do not hesitate to ask other members to "rephrase" or "re-explain" any ideas you run across. Usually doing so is extremely helpful to all involved, as it often helps them realize something about that idea or concept that they didn't before....

:)

Laura said:
(...)... and he [Gurdjieff] obviously had some success with his pupils, but not many of them, and not necessarily long lasting.
Once he was dead, it seems that his "4th way work" ended and those he left only continued on in imitation with no real source of inspiration.

Would there be a way to direct me (and others) to some background information through which one could come to an understanding about how you arrived at this assessment?
I`m reading bits here and there about post-Gurdjieff-Fourth Way-groups and am somewhat astonished at their obscurity. Even John Pentland and Jeanne De Salzmann didn`t seem
to have published anything (apart from a lecture here or a foreword there), also not a single biography (or interviews) on/with them has ever seen print.
I`m wondering about this since there seems so little information about the Work and subsequent successes or failures by those groups.

Back
Top Bottom