Dmitry Medvedev and his Connection to Putin: The Future of Russia and the World

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
As I brought up in another thread recently, Medvedev gave a pretty interesting speech recently that sounds like a historic declaration of what Russia could and might likely will do if the West doesn't stop. I will summarize those statements here in this thread as well later. Apart from that, I would first like to focus more on Dmitry Medvedev himself, and his part in the developments in Russia and the world, and more specifically, his relationship to Putin.

Let's start with the idea that Medvedev was chosen by Putin, quite early on, as his successor, and Putin basically trained him to be able to follow up in his footsteps:

Quite a number of interesting developments (I haven't checked primary sources myself here):

A number of the following points were mentioned in the following two videos, which will start at the appropriate time stamps:

- Apparently a number of pretty significant things happened in regard to Medvedev, that got little attention.

- Putin appointed Medvedev to a new position, that apparently didn't exist in that manner before in Russia. The guys from The Duran claim that Putin just appointed Medvedev to a position that is something like the chief of the military/industrial complex in Russia and that Medvedev was already very much the head director under Putin for the Ukraine situation before that point, which he apparently handled very well so far.

- Medvedev visited Xi in China, apparently handing over written down and secret communications from Putin to XI.

- That visit of Medvedev with Xi might have also served as an introduction of Medvedev to Xi as the predecessor of Putin.

- Just a day or so later Putin had a very long and secret communication with Xi via the Internet (video conservation).

- One of The Duran guys mentioned Medvedev and his role. And more specifically about the way Medvedev was/is being viewed by many: A liberal/weak and or fifth column person, while he makes it clear that he never really believed that this is the case and that he was always pretty sure that Medvedev is in reality a hardliner. IMO it could very well be that Putin prepared Medvedev as his successor for a long time and that all if not many of the rumors about Medvedev served as a welcome distraction (or smokescreen) for Putin and Medvedev to further their plans.

- One of the Duran guys makes an interesting point about the time when Medvedev was president and how he thinks that Medvedev was really the one in charge (and not Putin) at that point in time and that Medvedev reacted quickly and decisively to the Georgian situation, by using overwhelming russian force.

- One of The Duran guys makes an interesting point, namely; in 2024 the next elections in russia will take place and that what we see now (and the timing of the possible "end" of the Ukraine Operation) will probably play a key role.

Here are some of my own speculations:

- By now, I personally am inclined to go as far as saying that Medvedev was probably Putin's chosen apprentice from the get-go and that Putin forged him over the years to become his predecessor.

- In that line I would speculate that Medvediv first term as Russian president (2008-2012) was probably more or less a deliberate "babtism by fire" that Putin prepared on purpose to "steel" Medvedev and/or test if he is really up for the task. In that line I would speculate that Putin really gave Medvedev all the power and did not interfere when Medvedev was president. A dry run maybe? That first "batism" might have provided Putin and/or Medvedev with important lessons and things to work on, for the real/full "babtism" and/or handover of power.

- Further I would speculate that the real "babtism by fire" for Medvedev might be still ahead; aka; he will likely become president again (maybe even in 2024) and will then be in charge of the Ukraine situation and probably an even wider and more complicated conflict against the west

- Maybe Putin will give Medvedev the power again already in 2024 (before he legally has to step down)

- Putin seems to put people in place and do things that suggest that they are preparing for a long war/conflict with the west that might get bigger and will extend at least to the end of this decade (meaning that not only Ukraine might become an issue)

- You might have noticed that Putin started to talk about something in recent speeches and/or briefings that is quite a significant change of rhetoric: he explained that "the collective west", and more specifically the USA, have created and are working hard on a "first strike" policy/idea, meaning that they gave themselves the right to attack Russia (and others for that manner) by a preemptive first strike. So in other words: Not as a retaliation or counter-attack against enemy fire (normal and/or nuclear) but as a "preemptive" strike. Putin made it quite clear that he knows that they are doing that and that russia hasn't any such policies/laws (yet) that would allow them to something similar. In other words: So far, legally and in reality, russia would/can only use nuclear and other means in defense/retaliation against an offensive attack. Then Putin suggested pretty much: If the Americans can give themselves those rights why shouldn't we do the same? In other words: Putin made it pretty clear that russia is now seriously thinking about creating a similar legal framework that would allow them to do the same: Strike America and/or the collective west first, via a preemptive strike.

Could it be that Medvedev's very clear, frank and undiplomatic statements (on X and Telegram and in speeches and interviews) are pretty much exactly what Putin really thinks and/or plans but can't say at the moment in his position as president? I think that is very likely:

Following the above speculations about Medvedev and Putin:

It is certainly interesting to think about Medvedev's "hard core", clear, truthful, very sarcastic and "aggressive" statements in recent months, in regard to the "collective west". What Medvedev has spilled out in recent months might be what Putin wouldn't say out loud (at this point) but might actually reflect closely what Putin himself would like to say as well.

From what I have seen so far, Medvedev way of behaving and speaking is quite similar to Putin. Even down to specific phrases he uses, like "in the position I'm currently in, I'm freer or less free to talk openly". It also seems to me that Medvedev is quite as well-informed and diverse in terms of knowledge as Putin himself. Listen to Medvedev speak, and you will find many similarities, down to knowing even the smallest details about any given topic within Russia itself and the outside world. In short, the similarities are quite uncanny and very interesting, in a positive way!

Now, if you are as curious as I am, you might want to closely compare Dmitry Medvedev personal history to that of Vladimir Putin on Wikipedia. I know Wikipedia isn't the best source (no kidding!) but in both cases what they write about both gentleman's history/career (especially in early life and their early political careers) seems to be quite accurate without much propaganda spin (as of yet!).

Notice that both were born in Saint Petersburg (Leningrad) and grew up there and went to the same university. It seems like they first got to know each other as early as 1990. They might have known each other even before that point, but that is pure speculation on my part. I don't know. Both have been educated/taught by Anatoly Sobchak, who was the professor of Putin and later Medvedev at the University of Saint Petersburg. Quote: "Putin was influential in Sobchak's career in Saint Petersburg, and Sobchak was influential in Putin's career in Moscow." Similar to Medvedev, who, quote: "joined Sobchak's team of democrats in 1988 and served as the de facto head of Sobchak's successful campaign for a seat in the new Soviet parliament, the Congress of People's Deputies of the USSR." And, quote: "In 1990, Anatoly Sobchak returned from Moscow to become chairman of the Leningrad City Council. Sobchak hired Medvedev who had previously headed his election campaign. One of Sobchak's former students, Vladimir Putin, became an adviser. The next summer, Sobchak was elected Mayor of the city, and Medvedev became a consultant to City Hall's Committee for Foreign Affairs. It was headed by Putin." Among other similarities, both also studied law in university.

Anyway, let's start to focus on Medvedev's recent statements.

It seems to me that Medvedev's recent speech is a very interesting and potentially historic one! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a good and full translation into English. The only full video translation I could find is this one:

It seems like Medvedev was pretty direct and exposed western politicians as ridiculous and spinless clowns, with supporting pictures and video material! Hilarious and ohh so true.

One of the main points that Medvedev made (judged by the rather bad simultaneous translation) seems to be that Russia could move into other countries that are in their strategic sphere of influence by force, not in order to steal/take the land/resources of the given countries, but in order to secure/enforce Russian friendly governments! In a similar way that the Roman Empire and Russia and others did it in the past. It seems to be a clear warning to western and/or purely western aligned countries in the strategic sphere of Russia, that if the west continues in that way, that the Russians can and probably would do that.

So, the question is, was what Medvedev said sanctioned by Putin? I think so.

Also, take into account that Medvedev is by all accounts the likely successor of Putin in 6 years. Also, notice how clear and undiplomatic Medvedev is speaking/texting, in a hard ball fashion in the last months/years on X and other platforms.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are going to see Medvedev playing hard ball as soon as he is replacing Putin. Maybe that even starts before that point. And it all might have been planned in that way for a long time, as one of possible solutions to Russian problems, should the west not stop. It could also be a bluff of some kind.

Medvedev is Putin's alter ego. 😉
Sometimes I wonder if what Medvedev says is what Putin really thinks but cannot say.

Natus Videre is certainly not the only wondering about that! I certainly also see that as a likely possibility.

Unfortunately, I still have not found a full, good translation of Medvedev's presentation/statements above. What I found though is a shortened version which seems to have a good translation:

What I found however is at least as interesting... Medvedev gave an extended interview in which he was also very frank, just a day earlier, of which we have a complete and very good video subtitle translation by "Michael Rossi Poli Sci" on YouTube (who I recommend, because he regularly publishes very good translations of speeches and statements from Putin, Medvedev, Lavrov, Zakharova, Shoigu and co):

I highly recommend watching both recent statements of Medvedev and also follow what he has to say on X regularly. Among other things, Medvedev seems to be of the opinion that the negative trend in the west in general, and in Europe and the US in particular, will not change for decades ahead and that Russia will continue to further its current position in the world, unfortunately, or luckily, ever increasingly separate from the west.

Here are some of my speculation for the short and longer term in terms of the developments in Russia:

- Russia might become quite a lot more bold out of necessity

- Putin will head Russia for the coming 6 years, starting in March of this year

- During that time, Putin will increasingly put Medvedev into crucial and publically visible/recognizable positions. Both, in order to train him, and in order for the public to realize his value.

- Putin will prepare the Russian public for Medvedev as his successor, leaving little doubt inRussian minds that Medvedev is his clear recommendation as THE GUY who can best follow up in his footsteps and is the best candidate for furthering Russia's interests. At the end of Putin's era, he will clearly recommend Medvedev as his successor.

- Medvedev will be elected as Putin's successor in 2030, with substantially more votes than any other candidates.

- Putin will be available for Medvedev as his main official and/or unofficial adviser after that (2030 and onwards).

- After 2030 Putin might himself start to become very frank and "undiplomatic", speaking more or less freely. More clear than ever before.

- It is hard if not impossible to follow up in footsteps like Putin's, but I think Medvedev might surprise us all in being able to do so quite well, although maybe a bit less successful/careful than Putin.

- Which means that Medvedev might likely be reelected a number of times after 2030.

- Which means that Russia probably will have a stable/sane/decent leadership at least for the next 20 years or so, assuming that Medvedev might also step down when he will be around 76 years of age.

If the west continues in their crazy ways, one of my wild bets is on one of the following four scenarios (or all), sooner or later:

- The Russians resort to a quick “shock and awe“ campaign with their hypersonic missiles, in such an overwhelming way, that it sends shivers down the spine globally. It will show everyone their utter military superiority and daring guts. Thereby sending the following message to the PTB: “you can’t do anything about it, we are the boss. Your pants are down“. Also, making the use of nukes by the other side impossible/not viable. Possibly involving several countries at once.

- The Russians resort to a very fast “shock and awe“ campaign with their troops by marching into (possibly) several countries all at once, right through into the capitals (with practically zero resistance encountered). In such an overwhelming way that it sends shivers down the spine globally. It will show everyone their utter military superiority and daring guts. Sending the following message to the PTB: “you can’t do anything about it, we are the boss. Your pants are down“. Possibly involving several countries at once.

- Putin and co. might have other aces up their sleeve that nobody suspects. Such as turning down all oil and gas deliveries that go to western countries directly or indirectly. Or something else entirely.

- Or the Russians will try to play it as safe as possible by basically letting the West hang itself, if they wish to do so and possibly hope for more sane politicians after that heavy and probably deadly period of the West hanging themselves (which will probably take decades).

Checkmate!

Last edited:
There are many interesting things to discuss about Medvedev's recent statements, mentioned above. Such as him quite clearly talking about elites being the primary problem and not ordinary people. Going as far as mentioning problems that some if not many of them seem to have: namely, lacking a conscience. It also seems like he is saying and/or preparing the public for possible bold steps in that direction. Such as, namely, literally, "cutting the heads off" those elites! Possibly not only in Ukraine.

Last edited:
I think much about this subject also . I also sense that this juggernaut, this muscle in Central Asia called Russia is reaching a new peak of power. How long will this peak last is a matter of choices. Putin's government must be governed by high intelligence. Therefore that tree will be judged by its fruits. Cognitive warfare is also based on distraction. Putin is a master of that and he knows that once in, all become victims to its level of sophistication for it always reads the mind's biases. That is exactly what the West seems not to understand and where Medvedev fits in . He is the shot at you point blank.

Thanks Cosmos, that last video was really interesting. The questions asked by the reporters were very serious and shows the sort of information being relayed to the public. So different to the West.

Medvedev gave really clear answers and I loved the fact that the reporters joked about his, sometimes, very pointed and unvarnished comments on X. etc.

I would like to join in the thanks for Cosmos' posting of Medvedev's excellent speech and video. I've been praying for Putin's safety and strength to deal with events for a while now. I'll add Medvedev to my ever-lengthening prayer list! :-)

Back
Top Bottom