Does anyone suffer from chronic lower back pain?

Do you have problems with the area 1-5 lumbar (Lumbar curve)?

I had it for years until...

A few years ago a brilliant osteopath told me about a simple exercise.

Use any door in your house that you can reach at the top.

Grab hold of the top of the door with both hands about .6m apart

Hang from your arms. Use a towel on the top of the door so that the door doesn't cut into your hands.

Don't take your feet off the ground. Slightly bend your legs so that they are about the same distance apart as your arms.

Pretend you are squeezing a credit card between your butt cheeks. I.E. Pull your sphincter muscle in tight.

This exercises muscles which attached to these vertebrae. These muscles start deep in the groin area and you can't really exercise them in any other way.

Try this regularly several times a day for a few minutes. You will not only increase the distance between your vertebra, but you may also gain a little height.

It works and may save you from useless painful lower back surgery which I've been told does not work for long.

You can also control low back pain via diet particularly if it is a result of autoimmune factors such as rheumatoid arthritis. I suffered for years until I stopped eating wheat, dairy, nightshade, tree nuts and sugar. Now I have entire pain free days.

wanderer33 said:

Use any door in your house that you can reach at the top.

Don't use a door unless you want to undo every hinge in your house including Your own ;) , get a bar of sorts. Otherwise I found this advice good and sound

PrideinProfessionPredator strikes again :-[

Yes, the sphincter muscles along with the pelvic floor muscles are VERY important to provide support and stability to your spine. That along with checking your posture. Lower back pain can have several reasons. A diet that is not appropriate for your body as mentioned by Laura being one. And for arthritis sufferers a very big one.

If you suffer from lower back pain, you also want to address your posture. Often a misaligned pelvis, as it happens with the vast majority of us, won't allow for your spine to "seat" effectively on top of it, therefore causing strain in the vertebrae and surrounding muscles. This has a sort of domino effect going all the way up until the top of your spine.
Your suggestion is interesting wanderer33.
From a skeleto-muscular perspective ( I'm going to exclude diet here because I am don't have enough knowledge to comment), many people lack strength from the core muscles to support their pelvis and spine in the right place, as a consequence, pain is one of the first symptoms.

As for the surgery, if one can, best is to avoid it by correcting those musculo-skeletal unbalances, and/or diet if that proofs to be the issue. The results of this work can, more often then not, be life changing. There are, of course, cases where the spine is so badly damaged that surgery is the only and last resort.

Gertrudes said:
Yes, the sphincter muscles along with the pelvic floor muscles are VERY important to provide support and stability to your spine. That along with checking your posture. Lower back pain can have several reasons. A diet that is not appropriate for your body as mentioned by Laura being one. And for arthritis sufferers a very big one.

If you suffer from lower back pain, you also want to address your posture. Often a misaligned pelvis, as it happens with the vast majority of us, won't allow for your spine to "seat" effectively on top of it, therefore causing strain in the vertebrae and surrounding muscles. This has a sort of domino effect going all the way up until the top of your spine.
Your suggestion is interesting wanderer33. Dealing with painful backs and misaligned joints is what I do for a living, hence my interest. From a skeleto-muscular perspective ( I'm going to exclude diet here because I am don't have enough knowledge to comment), many people lack strength from the core muscles to support their pelvis and spine in the right place, as a consequence, pain is one of the first symptoms.

I suffered of lower back pain for years and exercise was how I fought it. By strengthening my lower back and lateral muscles (core muscles)with exercises, it prevented to a certain degree but never eliminated it completely. When I thought that my back was strong from exercising it, the pain will suddenly and for no reason come back, usually after a movement demanding a light torsion from the hip. Last October I couldn't stay seated at the computer more than 30 min. the pain was too strong and rising up from a seat was a torture. I was since last May and still am on a free gluten and dairy and sugar diet and it may have helped but, what made the difference is our new FAR infrared sauna. After a few weeks, I realized that my pain was going away, I never thought detoxing as anything to do with it but the result is there. I do consider that daily exercise and diet could overcome and prevent lower back pain but, in my case the sauna or heavy metal detox that result from it, accelerated the my recovery.

Laurentien said:
I suffered of lower back pain for years and exercise was how I fought it. By strengthening my lower back and lateral muscles (core muscles)with exercises, it prevented to a certain degree but never eliminated it completely. When I thought that my back was strong from exercising it, the pain will suddenly and for no reason come back, usually after a movement demanding a light torsion from the hip. Last October I couldn't stay seated at the computer more than 30 min. the pain was too strong and rising up from a seat was a torture. I was since last May and still am on a free gluten and dairy and sugar diet and it may have helped but, what made the difference is our new FAR infrared sauna. After a few weeks, I realized that my pain was going away, I never thought detoxing as anything to do with it but the result is there. I do consider that daily exercise and diet could overcome and prevent lower back pain but, in my case the sauna or heavy metal detox that result from it, accelerated the my recovery.

Very interesting Laurentien! This is what I find fascinating, a human body is quite a complex organism and needs to really be addressed from all angles. What might have worked for others won't necessarily work for you, and it is important to address all possibilities so that you can understand, as you have, what is going on with you, and your body. For some correcting muscular unbalances holds the key, for others diet, for others detox, and who knows what else.

I'm planning to get an infra red blanket as well, perhaps towards the Summer according to finances. After having read so many great reviews here I really want to give it a try.

Added: there are so many possibilities and so much information out there, sometimes I wish a day could have 48hrs just to have the time to be able to explore them all! I know, wishful thinking here.

I've also eliminated my chronic back pain through diet - by getting rid of dairy, gluten, sugar, processed foods, and importantly inflammatory foods like nightshades - particularly peppers!

edit: Fish oil also does wonders for the joints.

Gertrudes said:
...If you suffer from lower back pain, you also want to address your posture...
Yes, and don't count on any medical professional to ever even notice the problem, if that is what it is.

I found out that my main problem was posture when I started taking singing lessons. The teacher noticed it immediately. I can't tell you how many doctors overlooked it in the previous 40+ years (since I first started having problems in elementary school). There is no money to be made in prevention, so it isn't part of their training, I guess.

My girlfriend is still recovering these days from two months of agony caused by discus hernia. And it was close and last call, she was actually one step from invalid chair. Few lasts years she was also suffering from pain in lumbar region of her spine (or lower back in plain language, I learned that one and many other terms in last two months). As pain was increasing she went to doctor and got few different diagnoses from rheumatoid arthritis to nervus ischiadicus inflammation. Until in January she got all stiff and in great pain. In such situation there are no any pain relief medicaments that can help; you are becoming literally invalid in an instant.

My advice would be to take that pain seriously and go to some good neurologist doctor (finding good doctor is VERY important) and if you can, do a scan of your lower back with magnetic resonance imaging before visiting doctor.

Anyway, if there is no need for therapy or chiropractor, you could get some instruction for exercising and maybe you can even go to some course to learn how to exercise. As my girlfriend has discovered, exercising on your own is not very good. Also see if you can take vitamin B12, doctors says that it is good for such problems (about 8 euros per monthly dose in Eastern Europe, American manufacturer)

It could be small problem, but also if you react on time you could prevent some very big and serious problems.

Megan said:
Gertrudes said:
...If you suffer from lower back pain, you also want to address your posture...
Yes, and don't count on any medical professional to ever even notice the problem, if that is what it is.

I found out that my main problem was posture when I started taking singing lessons. The teacher noticed it immediately. I can't tell you how many doctors overlooked it in the previous 40+ years (since I first started having problems in elementary school). There is no money to be made in prevention, so it isn't part of their training, I guess.

No, it isn't part of their training. Dealing with postural correction is what I do for a living and I often speak with doctors or am referred clients. From my experience so far, it seems that the majority doesn't have a clue, or at least an informed view of what can cause back pain. Many clients come to me having been prescribed pain killers (!!) that basically disguise the pain away so that you can keep doing whatever it is you're doing that is nasty for your back without feeling a thing, and making it worse. Then you might be referred to an exercise program where you take a class with 20 or 30 something people, and you are expected to heal your back. If you already had a seriously problematic back, this can be the last straw for an injury.
Then again, sometimes I'm positively surprised. It seems that some doctors are increasingly giving dietary suggestions in order to help dealing with joint pain and its possible causes. However, I have not yet seen anyone whose doctor has mentioned toxicity as a possible cause.

I'm glad your singing teacher spotted it Megan! And I hope that helped you.

Avala said:
My girlfriend is still recovering these days from two months of agony caused by discus hernia. And it was close and last call, she was actually one step from invalid chair.

I'm sorry to hear that Avala. :( I hope she gets better soon.

Avala said:
As my girlfriend has discovered, exercising on your own is not very good.

I agree, I also think it is best, if not essential, for a problematic back to have someone's eyes on you to make sure you are doing it well. That is at least on the first stages of a program, until you learn it and know what you're doing.

I was surfing the web and as well as surfing the form, and saw this subject Re: Does anyone suffer from chronic lower back pain? on the form pop up a couple of times. I then came across this subject on how people use alternative means to cope with affects and side affects of this very debilitating affliction. But let me state that this a very controversial alternative, and as all alternative's should be approached with care and caution, until further investigation has been done to avoid any pit falls as to the side affects and dangers that may result! One article:

Bee-stings as medicine? Bee-venom advocate says apitherapy can cure what ails you

By Fernando Quintero
Orlando Sentinel
January 27, 2010

Reyah Carlson has been stung by bees more than 25,000 times. On purpose.

Carlson is a practitioner of apitherapy, a controversial form of alternative medicine that uses bee venom to treat everything from arthritis to multiple sclerosis. She was the featured speaker at the 2010 North American Beekeepers Conference held in Orlando this month.

Carlson, who lives in Vermont, has traveled the world to spread the word about bee venom therapy. She has also appeared in National Geographic and on the Discovery Channel.

"Apitherapy is not a new form of alternative therapy. It has been used in other countries for centuries," said Carlson, a k a "The Bee Lady."

Carlson, who had been fascinated by bees since early childhood, said she first began using bee stings for her Lyme Disease after being introduced to the treatment by a man she met when she was working as a nursing assistant in Vermont.

"When you break down the chemical components of bee venom, you'll find 40-something identifiable components," said Carlson, 51.

They include mellitin, which some studies suggest blocks inflammation and has been shown to have anti-arthritic effects in mice, according to a 2009 report published by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.

Carlson said bee venom can also bolster immunity and speed up the healing process.

"I don't claim cures," said Carlson. "In some cases, it's ongoing treatment for life. For many diseases including [multiple sclerosis] and lupus, it's a great way to keep things in check and under control. Drugs for these conditions have bad side effects for the liver and other parts of the body, that's why I and many other people have turned to apitherapy as an alternative."

While the benefits of bee venom remain uncertain, and little scientific research has been conducted -- especially in the United States -- the dangers are evident. About 2 percent of people have allergic reactions to bees and other stinging insects, and the dangers increase with the number of stings.

"A bee sting is always potentially serious," said Malcolm T. Sanford, emeritus professor of entomology and nematology at the University of Florida, in a 2003 report for the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. "The severity and duration of a reaction can vary from one person to another….However, depending on the location and the number of bee stings received, as well as the ever-present possibility of a severe allergic reaction to bee venom, a serious reaction can be precipitated that can be life-threatening."

A number of Central Florida researchers and medical professionals contacted declined to comment on the potential benefits or hazards of apitherapy. Carlson is well aware of the controversy over her treatments.

"Reaction from the medical establishment has been two-sided," said Carlson. "Physicians who are proactive with their patients are more accepting of apitherapy. At the same time, I have had doctors saying I'm going to kill somebody."

About 65,000 people in the United States use bee sting therapy, according to the American Apitherapy Society. Carlson advises anyone undergoing bee-venom therapy should always have a bee sting kit available. She keeps antihistamine on hand, as well as epinephrine, a drug that can be used if someone goes into anaphylactic shock.

Carlson said she gets lots of questions when she's on the road promoting the benefits of bees. One of the most frequently asked questions: Is it always painful?

"A bee sting hurts. I do suggest and offer ice to numb the area prior to a sting," she said. "It's well worth the temporary pain."

I looked to learn more about nightshade, it could well be it.
Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are classified as nightshade foods. A particular group of substances in these foods, called alkaloids, can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in animals and humans, and may also be able to compromise joint function.

I never associated my lower back pain with my diet, unfortunately, I eat some of the highlight one daily. :headbash: Out they go.

Posté par: Gertrudes
Very interesting Laurentien! This is what I find fascinating, a human body is quite a complex organism and needs to really be addressed from all angles.

My Thought as well, if I had read more about nightshades and the like I may have solve my problem but I didn't know. I will cut a possible source as well as continuing my sauna and exercises and address it on all angles.

Thank everyone.

Laurentien said:
I looked to learn more about nightshade, it could well be it.
Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are classified as nightshade foods. A particular group of substances in these foods, called alkaloids, can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in animals and humans, and may also be able to compromise joint function.

I never associated my lower back pain with my diet, unfortunately, I eat some of the highlight one daily. :headbash: Out they go.

Posté par: Gertrudes
Very interesting Laurentien! This is what I find fascinating, a human body is quite a complex organism and needs to really be addressed from all angles.

My Thought as well, if I had read more about nightshades and the like I may have solve my problem but I didn't know. I will cut a possible source as well as continuing my sauna and exercises and address it on all angles.

Thank everyone.

My Hubby refuses to accept the diet angle to back pain. As I write he's downstairs eating ice cream, even though his back is flared up significantly. :rolleyes:

I do really well when I don't eat forbidden foods, when I slip up or when its in a food and I don't know it, wow it bites back. :shock: I went through that a little while ago and now I'm almost ready to do as Sherry Rogers did (she writes about it in Detoxify or Die) and take my own food and snacks wherever I go. Its the only way to be sure. Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom