Does Earths moon have a new sattelite?

N

noise

Earlier I was out smoking and I looked up at the moon and noticed a star at about 5 o'clock just down from the moon in the edge of what appeared to be the moons light. I'm guessing it was a couple hours ago 8-8:30PM PST. I don't follow constellations or know jack about astronomy.

About 5 minutes ago I went out to finish the other half of my smoke and there it was still hanging at about 5 o'clock, just (either self lit or) lit up by the moon. More above me than the couple hours prior. It is now 11pm and it is becoming overcast so there are no other stars in the sky but the moon and this little dot.

I just thought it was strange, for all I know it could be that some constellation looks like it is going on the same path/orbit currently, but it was rather wierd to observe and then observe again.

/shrug

Edit: I just realized looking up at the moon how assinine that sounded.. sorry for being absolutely at a slugs crawl. At around 9pm facing east it was at a point of around 5 o'clock and then 2 hours later facing south it was at around 4:30 on the clock now an hour and a half later it looks as if it is nearing 3.. DOH! :)

My trusty SkyMap program - after entering your time and location - says that the "star" was actually Saturn. It pretty much followed the moons path all night; beginning right under it and appearing to slowly moving out and up as the moon began to set.

Back
Top Bottom