eBooks for the cassiopaea.org website content

@s1mpleman , I was wondering, with the Admins permission and advise, if it's possible to do the same for the Cassiopaean's Sessions Transcripts year-wise (only the session, not the replies/comments) using your script.
This could help avail the sessions offline and provide quick reference for revision/study and also coz internet can be unreliable many a times (like for 2 days this past week here) ,which is a bit frustrating.

@s1mpleman , I was wondering, with the Admins permission and advise, if it's possible to do the same for the Cassiopaean's Sessions Transcripts year-wise (only the session, not the replies/comments) using your script.
This could help avail the sessions offline and provide quick reference for revision/study and also coz internet can be unreliable many a times (like for 2 days this past week here) ,which is a bit frustrating.

I think in that specific case is better to get them from the books that pilule rouge (the editorial) is selling on their website and on Amazon. Because it has Laura input on every sessions to expand and clarify the session information. Or you can always check the forum for that matter.

I think in that specific case is better to get them from the books that pilule rouge (the editorial) is selling on their website and on Amazon. Because it has Laura input on every sessions to expand and clarify the session information. Or you can always check the forum for that matter.

Hello Hope

I agree with irjo in that regard although I can certainly understand the frustrations with the internet going out.

Do you know you can right click a page and click "save as" in most modern browsers? Chrome, Firefox and I believe Edge offer this option. That would download a personal copy into a ".html" file. This html file can be re-opened in a browser of your choice. It usually stores all the the images and page stylings in a folder with the same name as well.

Hello Hope

I agree with irjo in that regard although I can certainly understand the frustrations with the internet going out.

Do you know you can right click a page and click "save as" in most modern browsers? Chrome, Firefox and I believe Edge offer this option. That would download a personal copy into a ".html" file. This html file can be re-opened in a browser of your choice. It usually stores all the the images and page stylings in a folder with the same name as well.

Yes, this I've done on occasion, and it is very helpful no doubt, only that navigation through the various sessions is much easier when in a single file.
But still, thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, this I've done on occasion, and it is very helpful no doubt, only that navigation through the various sessions is much easier when in a single file.
But still, thanks for your suggestions.

Agree'd

I had the thought today of making a portable cass forum and I certainly have more time now I've been furloughed (paid leave) from work today. It's something I would like to discuss further with the Mod's/Admins though before proceding as I'm aware there are risks and benefits to that option.

Agree'd

I had the thought today of making a portable cass forum and I certainly have more time now I've been furloughed (paid leave) from work today. It's something I would like to discuss further with the Mod's/Admins though before proceding as I'm aware there are risks and benefits to that option.

Yes, portable applications are very useful. I always use a portable browser and email client, so that whenever I travel, I have everything with me in a flash disk and can easily use another computer, for example in a cyber cafe', with all my bookmarks etc intact.
I'm sure the decision you reach with the team will be for the best :-).

Added: I'm here assuming this is what you mean by 'portable' 🤔

Last edited:
Yes, portable applications are very useful. I always use a portable browser and email client, so that whenever I travel, I have everything with me in a flash disk and can easily use another computer, for example in a cyber cafe', with all my bookmarks etc intact.
I'm sure the decision you reach with the team will be for the best :-).

Added: I'm here assuming this is what you mean by 'portable' 🤔

It could be used in that capacity yes. My explanation was lacking and I could have clarified better with adding offline to the description. Sorry about that.

My thought was along the lines of something I've seen done with Wikipedia. You can pre-download the entire site to be used in the exact way you describe without the need for an internet connection. Once the connection is re-established you would be able to update your offline version keeping everything as up to date as possible. I hope that explanation is a little better for anyone else reading.

This is great, I've looked through a few of them and it looks very readable. Much better than reading them on a computer. Thank you again!

I will let you know if I find any problems.

Most welcome and please do! I have browsed as much as humanly possible without reading everything through again and didn't notice anything but more eyes are welcome.

Hello everyone. Hope all are well during these times.

I've asked the admins here if it's ok to share some eBook files (.epub) that I've generated from the content on Cassiopaea.org and they've said that would be great. So here they are! I have included a link at the bottom of this post which will take you to a shared folder on my Google Drive where you can download them all.

I generated these files because been an IT Manager at my daily job I spend most of my day behind a computer screen. This quickly get’s tiresome for my eyes and I wanted a way to reduce this.

So, seen as I’m currently learning how to program in JavaScript (the programming language that makes all the fancy stuff happen on a webpage.), I decided to solve that little issue for myself by writing a script. The script basically runs through all of the content on the Cassiopaea.org website collating it all into .epub file. This file can be added to your kindle readers for you to read offline. I personally use one of the paperwhite ones which I have found to be a lot easier on the eyes.

The eBooks are a carbon copy of all the material that is available on the website and each book is created from the articles and volumes that are contained there. It’s basically a digital book collection of the material contained on the front page, with the same headings, chapter’s, order and content. At the very most my script may have missed a few of the images, but there is nothing added or removed from the text. There is an example photo from Amazing Grace attached to this post

The script can be found here on my personal git repository for anyone wanting to take a look. You will require some basic JavaScript knowledge and some understanding of nodeJS to be able to read it though.
NotExpectedYet/CassScraper

An explanation of what the script does:
The script loads up the first link on the site which is Laura’s book Amazing Grace and makes a note of all the chapters contained on that page. Once it’s collated and ordered those it begins to traverse the rest of the links copying the content into a format your eBook reader can understand keeping as many as the images and all of the text it finds intact. Then it moves on to the next link which would be Comets and Catastrophes.

I’ve found these useful as I’ve mentioned above with my eyes so I hope others can get some use out of them too.

Cassiopaea Books - Google Drive

Edit: Forgot to add the example.
Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom