electric vehicles fires

ev fire

i found a new case of electric vehicles fire on “echelle de jacob”, which refers to an article in “la depeche”,
which refers to an article in
the picture is nice and is in attachments.
each article states that such fires are exceptional, and less frequent than fires for thermal vehicles. maybe, but i still have to see a picture of a burning thermal vehicle. the comments are amusing, as well as the novolangue interpretation of french grammar...

Attachments

• ev burns .png
    ev burns .png
    582.8 KB · Views: 0
another ev fire
i like this one because it involved an expensive ev from mercedes. my c250 is 12y old and has never burned... how woke has mercedes become in the mean time??? i summarize the info in the link:
- underground parking
- led to 40 more cars burned
- 100 more damaged
- 16 people to hospital for smoke inhalation
- 480 households lost electricity
- 121 people relocated
- burned for 8h.
- 8 fire engines
- 177 firefighters
- half of 209 residents rescued from stairs and balconies

i cannot conceal my pleasure in reading this and in posting it for your information. i sincerely hope this is not fake news... call this schadenfreude. i believe this sole incident demonstrates the absurdity of ev cars. AND, for your information, co2 is harmless as its greenhouse performance is already saturated, and this since there is life on this planet. AND, plants love it.

another ev fire
i like this one because it involved an expensive ev from mercedes. my c250 is 12y old and has never burned... how woke has mercedes become in the mean time??? i summarize the info in the link:
- underground parking
- led to 40 more cars burned
- 100 more damaged
- 16 people to hospital for smoke inhalation
- 480 households lost electricity
- 121 people relocated
- burned for 8h.
- 8 fire engines
- 177 firefighters
- half of 209 residents rescued from stairs and balconies

i cannot conceal my pleasure in reading this and in posting it for your information. i sincerely hope this is not fake news... call this schadenfreude. i believe this sole incident demonstrates the absurdity of ev cars. AND, for your information, co2 is harmless as its greenhouse performance is already saturated, and this since there is life on this planet. AND, plants love it.

Heinrich, I agree with you on the danger of electric cars, but not everything is black and white.

In my work, since electric cars have started to exist in the city, I have not seen any burn.

However, in the case of conventional technology cars, in the same period of time (about eight years) I have acted in about five fires and the car does not turn off and causes damage to everything around (material and human).

The biggest complication of electric cars is not fires, but rather normal accidents, due to the danger of high voltage being transferred to the car's bodywork, which entails a special protocol for action by firefighters.

Heinrich, I agree with you on the danger of electric cars, but not everything is black and white.

In my work, since electric cars have started to exist in the city, I have not seen any burn.

However, in the case of conventional technology cars, in the same period of time (about eight years) I have acted in about five fires and the car does not turn off and causes damage to everything around (material and human).

The biggest complication of electric cars is not fires, but rather normal accidents, due to the danger of high voltage being transferred to the car's bodywork, which entails a special protocol for action by firefighters.
dear wandering star. thank you for your reasoned comment, and of couse i agree. it just is that i like mercedes bashing, as i drive these since such a long time...

Marysville California Sutter County
Sept 2, 2024
SUTTER COUNTY – Two train cars that caught fire while traveling near Marysville over the weekend had lithium-ion car batteries listed as cargo.

The incident was first reported around 6 p.m. Sunday when a northbound train was seen on fire near Highway 70 and 10th Street. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames to two cars, but the response to the fire continued late into Sunday night.

A California Office of Emergency Services Hazmat team confirmed that the cars were listed as carrying 72 pounds of lithium-ion car batteries and other items like lighters, hair care products, and computer hardware.

Emergency officials say crews quickly mitigated the danger from the batteries, and it's unclear if the batteries ever caught fire.

Exactly what started the fire is under investigation.

Due to the situation, emergency crews have been urging the public to avoid the area. Live Oak Boulevard was closed between Highway 99 and Eager Road for the emergency response for most of the day.

Along with agencies from Sutter County, the Office of Emergency Management is involved in the situation.

Why the situation wasn't as bad as an EV fire

Sutter County Fire Battalion Chief Richard Epperson spoke with CBS13 on Monday after a very long night of fighting the fire.

"When the firefighters opened up the door to fight the fire, they saw lithium batteries," Epperson said.

They initially had to treat it like the boxes were loaded to the brim with the extremely hazardous lithium-ion.

"That ended up not being the case after looking at the manifest," Sutter County Emergency Operations Manager Zachary Hamill said.

Tesla and other EVs' lithium batteries usually weigh anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 pounds.

"If those would have been Tesla or big batteries like that, they probably would have taken the crane and took out the trees around here to create a barrier and let it burn for a month," Epperson said.

Last month, a lithium-ion battery blaze that occurred when a Tesla semi-truck crashed caused big dangers for Sacramento Metro Fire.

"We can't apply water necessarily directly to the batteries to stop them from burning," said Captain Daniel Hoy with Sac Metro Fire.

For the Sutter County fire, firefighters cut holes in the top of the train cars, dousing the flames with 40,000 gallons of water to put it out.

They then crunched down the metal train boxes and left behind a burnt-out pile of everything that was inside.

"It would still be burning if it was truly the lithium-ion," Epperson said.

Union Pacific said it is still investigating what caused the fire to spark in the first place.

Lithium could be on its way out if Samsung's new silver battery proves as better as research indicates. Performance is much better, but didn't read anything about fire potential. I wonder if that's an issue only with lithium bases batteries?

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A fiery crash involving two semi-trucks early Tuesday morning completely closed U.S. 95 near Indian Springs but reopened shortly after 6 p.m.

The crash was reported just after midnight at mile marker 13 in Nye County and involved a truck hauling wood and another truck carrying lithium batteries which ignited the fire, Nevada State Police said.

The closure extended from Indian Springs to State Route 160. Southbound traffic was being diverted off U.S. 95 to Pahrump and northbound traffic was being turned around at Indian Springs. Drivers were recommended to find alternate routes. Drivers who want to travel north can take State Route 160 through Pahrump to get to U.S. 95.

Just before 4 p.m., crews were able to extinguish the lithium batteries and the hazmat company was evaluating the pickup requirements, according to RTC Southern Nevada.

It is not known how long the road closure will be in effect.

Congresswoman Dina Titus released the following statement following the crash:
LOL!
“Today’s accident and fire on U.S. 95 involving a truck carrying lithium-ion batteries underscores the urgency for Congress to act on the ‘Thermal Runaway Reduction Act’, legislation I introduced last week in response to a similar accident on Interstate 15 in July. Without better regulation of the transport of these batteries, it is only a matter of time before these accidents and resulting fires take human lives. Furthermore, the resulting road closures and the amount of water needed to extinguish these fires have significant impacts on resources in our region. Congress needs to act quickly to enact live-saving regulations.”

Back
Top Bottom