[Etretat - France] Disappearance of the pebbles on the beach

Elohir

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
At the beginning of this year, the inhabitants of Etretat, a famous little town in the north west part of France, Normandy, have had the surprise to see that most of the pebbles on their beach had disapeared.

So where did they go ? They say that pebbles remain into the water not far from the beach and were dragged by strong tides.

It seems that this phenomena has already happened, especially in 1930 and 1950 but normally these rocks should have came back for now. People overthere start to be afraid because pebbles are usefull against the flood coming from the sea. Of course, from a tourism point of view, Etretat is no more the same town without its little rocks.

I let you watch the following video from TV news :

Ce n’est pas les galets qui empêcheront une inondation ou un tsunami…c’est mon avis, et ce qui est de ramasser des galets, c’est normal qu’ils fassent cette note à la fin, parce que les magasins de bricolage ou de déco en vendent…tu vois ce que je veux dire? ;)
Ah business, quand tu nous tiens !

Il y a toujours une différence entre ce qu'ont voit, ce qu'on pense et ce qu'on nous dit...

Je pense également que les galets ne vont pas empêcher une éventuelle grosse montée des eaux, c'est plutôt les digues et le relief naturel qui protège les côtes.
Néanmoins, ça contribue tout de même à ralentir et à contenir un peu la montée des marées. Au final, je dirais que c'est plutôt dérangeant car il pourrait s'agir encore d'un autre signe environnemental d'un monde qui va mal.
A côté de ça, j'ai du mal à croire qu'en 1 nuit, 90% des galets de toute la plage ont disparu en peut-être une nuit du fait de grosses marées. Aucune tempête n'a été déclarée avant la disparition et d'ailleurs rien ne transpire sur la durée de la disparition, 1 nuit ?, plusieurs jours ? On ne sait pas grand chose.

Pour ce qui est de la dernière phrase, j'y vois plutôt un message de fin aux allures volontairement comiques histoire de se quitter sur une boutade. Une petite galipette journalistique pour faire sourire et dédramatiser la scène.

Merci pour ta réponse.

----------------------
There's always a difference between what we see, what we think and what they tell us....

I also think that pebbles won't avoid big floods, it's more a job for dams and natural reliefs to protect the coasts. Nevertheless, it contributes to slow down and contain a bit the tides. Finally, I would say that it's rather disturbing because it's another environnemental problem and maybe another proof to afirm that the world is not going well. Moreover, we cannot deny that it's hard to believe that in maybe 1 night, 90% of the pebbles in a whole beach simply disapear because of strong tides. None tempest has been declared before this sudden disapearance. By the way, we don't even know it happened on several days, one night, we don't have any informations about that.

Concerning the last sentence, I see that more like a kind of journalist joke. It can also be seen as a manner for playing down with the subject.

Thanks for your anwser.

Back
Top Bottom