European poll on daylight saving

That made me chuckle. :-P
Good occasion for that unelected jerk to play the benign democratic leader.

Apart from that I welcome the decision of keeping daylight saving-time permanently.

Yeah, they give a crumb while carrying away the loaf.

Yeah, There were also petitions against upload-filters (not official EU petitions of course in that case) and what that has shown was more like "The people don't want it, we'll do it anyway."

I totally forgat about it. Thanks all of you for voting. That March day when we get one hour of sleeping less is the worst day in a year for me. I seriously need months to adjust;-).

I agree that could be still a poll that no state follows in the end. Nonetheless things are seemingly moving.

According to one new German article in March 2019 is the last time when to Summer time is switched. The question remains if it remains that way or if in October it switches forever to the winter time, according to one plan the EU-commission released already. Till the end of the year the EU and each country shall give a statement on which time they decide. And till end of April 2019 each country shall decide finally if they keep summer or switch to winter time. In Germany the current tendency is that it will keep the summer time.

I totally forgat about it. Thanks all of you for voting. That March day when we get one hour of sleeping less is the worst day in a year for me. I seriously need months to adjust;-).

Yup, same here Martina. My sleeping times are very regular and I usually go to sleep and wake up within a narrow window of 30 minutes. That's a habit I forced myself to develop a couple of years ago and it helped my overall energy levels but daylight saving really messes things up for me for well over a month - if not more.
I get some really weird symptoms, last year when clocks went back for winter time within a couple of days I was exhausted in the morning but then I was full of energy and not tired at all in the evening so I couldn't sleep - even though it was well past my summertime 30-minute bedtime window - which meant I was waking up exhausted! When clocks go forward I'm just overall meh and tired for a couple of weeks.

Since I started my NeurOptimal sessions in April I've been taking melatonin. I've never had sleeping issues but I think melatonin makes my sleep better becuase I wake up much more rested now. Apparently it is very good for jet lag so hopefully I will manage to beat this year's winter time change! :zzz::cool2:

Staying forever in summer time is something that I look forward to. Hopefully, the non-EU countries will follow this resolution.
It might feel good that way but think about the fact that the 'normal' time, winter time, is based on reality (if I am not mistaken). The noon is at midday. 12 o'clock. Midnight is the middle of the night. With the summer time we will be off an hour. No more Sun's zenith at noon but 1pm. What a little evil trick, no? When should the church bells ring? ;) I would personally prefer to stick with winter time even though I enjoy long light evenings during Summer.

It might feel good that way but think about the fact that the 'normal' time, winter time, is based on reality (if I am not mistaken). The noon is at midday. 12 o'clock. Midnight is the middle of the night. With the summer time we will be off an hour. No more Sun's zenith at noon but 1pm. What a little evil trick, no? When should the church bells ring? ;) I would personally prefer to stick with winter time even though I enjoy long light evenings during Summer.

You can check the time of Solar noon at this website. There you can see that: 1. Solar noon changes over the year; 2. Solar noon is different for different longitude. So, Solar noon for my city is actually about 24 minutes before yours.

So, you are probably right that western Europe should have permanent winter time. But for us in the east, summer time sounds better. So I would propose, having a two, maybe even three time zones for Europe as a best solution, just like in the US.

You can check the time of Solar noon at this website. There you can see that: 1. Solar noon changes over the year; 2. Solar noon is different for different longitude. So, Solar noon for my city is actually about 24 minutes before yours.

So, you are probably right that western Europe should have permanent winter time. But for us in the east, summer time sounds better. So I would propose, having a two, maybe even three time zones for Europe as a best solution, just like in the US.

We already have 3 time zones in Europe. Eastern European Time (e.g. Greece, Finland; UT+2), Western European Time (e.g. Portugal, UK, Ireland; UT) and Middle European Time (most of EC, UT+1). Most countries of the European Community have UT+1. So for your country would be better off with summer time and my country Germany and Western European countries would be better off with winter time. Each country's people may have to decide what is best for them and not best for big money.

We already have 3 time zones in Europe. Eastern European Time (e.g. Greece, Finland; UT+2), Western European Time (e.g. Portugal, UK, Ireland; UT) and Middle European Time (most of EC, UT+1). Most countries of the European Community have UT+1.

You are right, we already have that. But it will be interesting to see how the present zoning will feel without DST. Here is the current map: https://c.tadst.com/gfx/750w/tzmap-europe-2014.png?2

So for your country would be better off with summer time and my country Germany and Western European countries would be better off with winter time. Each country's people may have to decide what is best for them and not best for big money.

Yeah, that would be nice. But the leaders of my country already said that they will do what the EU decides.

It turns out now quiet differently - and who would not have expected it :rolleyes: - there will be no end of time changing till 2021, because not all inner states agreed on it and they need more time to talk about it.

Source in German.

What is the issue? Those states who do not want to change anymore just do not change it. Others could continue until they decide otherwise. And for traffic - they did manage different daylight saving time changes e.g for flights between US and Europe. For international travel with trains, they may just have to change times in time tables. Most trains are national travelers anyway.
Daylight saving introduction and cancellation was done more than once in the last 120 years.

What is the issue? Those states who do not want to change anymore just do not change it. Others could continue until they decide otherwise. And for traffic - they did manage different daylight saving time changes e.g for flights between US and Europe. For international travel with trains, they may just have to change times in time tables. Most trains are national travelers anyway.
Daylight saving introduction and cancellation was done more than once in the last 120 years.

It's the same old game: if people want something, the national governments say "sorry, can't do it because EU". If they don't want something, they introduce bills on the EU level via their networks and say "sorry, have to do this because EU". And then they wonder why people are going "f*** the EU!". :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom