Experiences of Dying Animals: Parallels With End-Of-Life Experiences in Humans

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Is the title of a study published by Rupert Sheldrake (attached as a PDF) where he lays how the same end of life phenomena observed in people can be observed in pets. The paper includes 43 testimonials/case reports of pet owners divided in specific categories according to experiences, which were termed: last goodbyes, last visits, last rally, retreating into solitude, unusual premonitions of death, somatic surprises, terminal lucidity in animals, and potential near-death visions in animals.

The stories are very touching and fascinating. I think all of us who have lost 2D friends can relate in one way or another.

Attachments

• Experiences-of-Dying-Animals_Parallels-With-End-of-Life-Experiences-in-Humans.pdf
    705.4 KB · Views: 73
Thank you, Gaby, for bringing this thread.

I also have in memory a few parallel stories.

The last one dates back to 3 summers ago. I was in the garden one Saturday late afternoon, in the process of turning it into an orchard and vegetable garden. When I heard a cat choking on its meow.

It was Pika, an orange tabby cat, skeletal, with charred fur, infested with fleas, with such a strong smell of urine, the same smell as those of the homeless people I used to sit and chat to after college.

Pika was ravenous, but had difficulty chewing, and it was only the next day that I discovered he must have ingested a toxic product that had corroded his mouth, tongue and digestive tract. This may have been due to the 'rat poison' sachets, but I know that people here consider cats to be pests.

As night fell, I made him a cosy little basket in the shed, and after cleaning him and getting rid of a few fleas, and leaving him a bowl of water and food, he seemed to have recovered a little.

Early the next morning, he was meowing at my front door, having managed to slip through the bars of the garden gate.
I decided to put him up in the attic, and Shadow, my cat who at that time would normally chase after cats of all stripes, remained impassive and aloof.

I took the opportunity to clean him up, not to say disinfect him, as he was being eaten alive by fleas, so I gave him an egg and chicken puree, with my formula of vitamin C and glycine mixed with water, which had saved numerous birds and Etruscan shrews.

On Sunday morning, the two of us were together, cleaning him, removing fleas with tweezers and then by hand (there were so many of them), talking to him and stroking him, with Shadow keeping an eye on us from a distance.

After lunch, before going down to the garden, I made sure he was doing well, he seemed to have more voice and energy, I thought that a quiet place to rest, and regain strength and a little time and tenderness he would resume his life as a cat.

At the end of the afternoon, I came up from the garden, and Shadow, who was following me up the stairs to the attic, stopped at the door.

I sat next to Pika, lying in his basket, and he gave a meow to welcome me. At the time, I didn't quite understand, I thought he was getting better, I thought he just wanted to play, but in fact he was dying, all the while giving out murmurs of meows, this being of a cat was trying to get out of his soft basket so that he could hardly put his front paws on my belly to paw me, all the while gently kneading me with his two paws and purring.

And then he just faded away, all of a sudden he was gone,he had waited for me to say goodbye, one part of his poor body in the basket and the other on top of me.

I buried Pika in the garden, next to a lemon tree that has now grown tall.

He was quite a cat, my little Pika.
Meow.

Mathematically and biologically, we live longer than our furry friends, alongside members of our family and human friends. Despite our suffering at their loss, they too, these furry four-legged creatures, deserve us to accompany them and be by their side when they leave this world, not left alone or in the hands of a vet, however sensitive she/he may be.

My experience with cats in that regard is different. I even thought they all isolate themselves when they feel it is time to die.
I remember for two of them how one day they were extra friendly and willing to be pet and then we've never seen them again.
I had a similar experience with my first cat, Galia.
That day, she called me to follow her up the frame of an oak tree.
We were hanging there, the two of us, between two worlds.
Then without further ado, she came down from the oak, and disappeared forever.

The stories are very touching and fascinating. I think all of us who have lost 2D friends can relate in one way or another.

Thank you Gaby ! 💞

Incredibly powerful reading... Beautiful, heartfelt and deeply touching are these stories that have been told by the pet owners. It's almost like being there, watching/observing/living it. Fascinating. I got caught between sobbing and astonishment while reading. And @zak, your story about Pika... oh man... so endlessly sad and touching.

The animals in our world, are surely fascinating beings, way more than what meets the naked eye. And sometimes we get deeper glimpses - touching (communicating) with our hearts; almost like a reminder of something that we had forgotten since we incarnated into this 3D realm...

Back
Top Bottom