Face the past and let them go

N

no-mans-land

Yesterday I met an old friend, probably the best friend I've ever had. We lost sight a few years ago, mostly because we had to deal with different problems, all suppressed by drug abuse. We smoked a lot of weed together. Every one of us had huge problems to talk about our emotions and how life circumstances are affecting each of us.

Now, I decided to take the chance to try to solve some past issues and have a look at what is left of this old friendship, though, as things turned out, it almost breaks my heart.

First we met at our old pub, joking around a little bit and start to drink something (mostly Jack Daniels^^). I usually don't drink alcohol because I cant tolerate it and it makes my sick all the time. But nevertheless I begun to drink with him because it seems that this was his usual procedure to start the conversation. In this respect, he doesent really changed.

The conversation was, at the beginning, quite normal. I asked him about the last years, what happend to him, what he is doing now and what he would like to do in the future. Just how live is going and what he thinks he achieved so far. At the last time I saw him and talked with him in an more ore less open manner, he seems to struggle with life in the same way as I was doing it. This was 8 years ago.

After some more drinks, I tried to dig a little bit deeper in this past relationship and speak about what he thinks what kind of person he beliefs to became now and from what "stuff" he made up his own world. I never talked about the work here or what I think the world is made of, I always asking him for his opinion about this or that or if he know this or that. I tried to see if he had any questions or if there some trace of the old struggle left in him.

Once he stated that "he got it", what means that he solved the problem of live and discovert what its all about. He said, "everything is evolution and reproduction". Every attempt to dig into the possibility's of consciousness and the variations of this phenomenon is merely a waste of time because it doesent matter anyway. Man is just a slave of evolution and every thing what others perceive to be outside of the law of evolution is just an illusion. He said that he solved some of his early traumas with the help of some friends who are psychologists and now he knows who he really is and what he wants and how he can get it.

After the pub had closed, we walked in the direction of his home because he said he must get up early and so I decided to go half the way with him so that we can speak a few minutes more. We walked towards the end of the small village because he live in the next one and then he looked up and said "hey, we are walking under the sign of Cassiopeia". I was rather surprised to hear the word "Cassiopeia" and asked back "what?". He pointed to the sky and said "see, there is Cassiopeia, right next to the Pleiades, we are right under them". That was strange!

Then we walked out of the village into the dark night, but not that far because there was a small seat right next to a big tree and we stopped there, sat down and here, things become really interesting.

The whole evening I had the feeling that we don't come to the core, that there is something unspoken between us. I said, that the friendship with him always had great value for me and that I regret things happend in the past between us. He said that I never show him this value and he was right, nor he did. He said, that he show me how he really is now and let down the stupid mask a little bit, but he didn't see me. All he saw was the same old guy as 8 years before and thinks that nothing had changed in me. I am still someone who fails in live, be unsatisfied and give the guild for this straight to other people. If he try to see me, he sees nothing just a mask, an empty man.

He seems pretty sure that he can judge everyone right to the point only by looking at them, quite disturbing.

I don't know how he came to this conclusions because he never asked something about me, I was asking all the time. It's like he sees only what he can see and this is the old image of me that still exists within him.

If I view this from the angle of the work, it seems that his personality wins the battle and he became finally identified with it. He like to shape this personality, like he say, that he work "right", that he will become more and more functional within this world and the society. He thinks, that the perfect person is someone who build a house, married a wife and raise children. This is something what have true value and this is what he would like to achieve.

As we came to an end with our conversation I knew that we are, now, totally different persons with different aims and different ways. After the goodbye, he went further into the dark night, while I return to the village, to the light and under the sign of Cassiopeia. Quite symbolic.

I feel sad that he does not have questions anymore and that our ways would probably never cross again. He was my best friend and it almost breaks my heart to see where he is going.

But I feel now also some kind of release, a heavy burden that followed me a long time seems to be gone and today I woke up without any headaches or nausea. I was hungry and felt astonishing good. I was so drunken that the next day usually should be the hell on earth, but it wasn't (actually even a small amount of alcohol would knock me down the next day).

Thanks for your attention. If there are some thoughts or questions, I will be glad to read them.

no-man's-land said:
I feel sad that he does not have questions anymore and that our ways would probably never cross again. He was my best friend and it almost breaks my heart to see where he is going.
But I feel now also some kind of release, a heavy burden that followed me a long time seems to be gone...

Hi no-man's-land. Thanks for sharing that wonderful piece. :flowers:

I understand the pain of friendships changing and the loss of some cherished illusions.

FWIW, it seems to me you did resolve the issue(s) that was bothering you most. "Knowing something for sure", even if it is painful, can be liberating, OSIT.

Bud said:
Hi no-man's-land. Thanks for sharing that wonderful piece. :flowers:

I understand the pain of friendships changing and the loss of some cherished illusions.

FWIW, it seems to me you did resolve the issue(s) that was bothering you most. "Knowing something for sure", even if it is painful, can be liberating, OSIT.

Hi Bud

I don't know if this is the issue what bothers me most, because there are some more things like this^^. But I think, only time can tell what kind of change this will cause.

All the years I had the thoughts that I owe him something, that our friendship should not be lost that way, in silence. But as I saw his subtil aggressiveness to what he perceives as "weak" together with superior thoughts about what he thinks he achieved, I felt that he had chosen the STS path. I've seen that he divide people into "winners" and "losers" and that he has the right to put away everyone who is weak or incompetent if this serves his own goals. Sounds like a good portion of ponerisation.

Yes, now I know that we have nothing in common anymore and to now it for sure and to see that there is nothing what I owe him, that he had chosen his way as I had chosen my, is really a great liberation.

And what's the most interesting part of it, besides of the symbolic, is, that I am not really affected by his judgement about me. In his eyes I am weak, unstable, a looser who needs help, but I feel compassion and not rejection or denail, hate or something like that. In his eyes he is right, and I don't condemn him for it. I feel somehow sad, to have lost something of great value, but there is something far deeper than that. I can grasp it, nor give them words, but there it is and it will do something new with me.

Hey no-man's-land:

Thanks for posting about this meeting with your friend. :) Your experience hits very close to home for me and probably many others.

I’ve been discovering something about my self recently, and about my ‘false friendships.’ Basically, the friendships of the false self. I think that as we go on in our life, and work on our selves to achieve unity with the true ‘I’, we slowly say goodbye to our false selves and in many ways the relationships of the false self. And this is never an easy task.

In my own experience, I have to always remind myself of this fact because I sometimes tend to forget why I no longer associate with certain people. I go back to thinking nostalgic thoughts, and thinking of “the good ol’ days”, forgetting that those days were the days when my false self was completely in the driver’s seat. That’s not to say that I’ve completely reached my true self now, but at least I’ve made the distinction a little bit- and step my step.. one day I hope to reach her fully.

In the end, we can only tell our selves that “all there is, is lessons”. And the people that were part of our past were part of our lesson profiles, as are the people in our present.

Well, sadness and melancholy are occasional companions on the warrior's journey. Check out these posts by Oxajil and Jerry.

You're not alone, bub. :)

Bud said:
You're not alone, bub. :)

At least virtual. :)

It seems that this meeting opened some new space in my head and now I know where the next step could/should go. So, why stop facing the past here? Why not take the bull by his balls and go around to make a well cleanup? There are some more past shadows who want to be solved.

So, now I make it like this, to have something to hold onto while I try to sweep the house. One solved, four left and the next one will be reported here too until everything is clear. There is so much energy behind it, I have to find a way to express this energy, and why not here?

But I have a question for those who know something about archetypes.

Laura mentioned in the wave and also in SHOTW, that the best way to interact with our reality is to know his own present archetype, because this provides the opportunity to play the given role in the best way possible. It was a great help for me to see that my former (years lasting) archetype "the prodigal son", went so darn accurate and that the decisions I made in accordance to this story brought me a whole new set of knowledge about me and life in general.

Since I am home again, I am looking for what the next type may be and now it seems that, indeed, there are a strong current who guide me to what I perceive as something like "shed light into the dark past" or "chase away shadows" or something like this. The meeting from above is just the peak of the current events but I have no doubt that things would go way further than that (if I let them).

So, if someone know what kind of type this could be or where I can find a hint or whatever, please, let me know, everything in this direction would be very appreciated.

no-man's-land said:
Since I am home again, I am looking for what the next type may be and now it seems that, indeed, there are a strong current who guide me to what I perceive as something like "shed light into the dark past" or "chase away shadows" or something like this. The meeting from above is just the peak of the current events but I have no doubt that things would go way further than that (if I let them).

So, if someone know what kind of type this could be or where I can find a hint or whatever, please, let me know, everything in this direction would be very appreciated.

There is a Jungian archetype called shadow. It is composed in part by those elements of the unconscious mind that is often denied in the self but is easily seen through projection on others.
Marie von Franz writes in
[quote author=Man and his Symbols]
When an individual makes an attempt to see his shadow, he becomes aware of (and often ashamed of) those qualities and impulses he denies in himself but can plainly see in other people - such things as egotism,mental laziness, and sloppiness; unreal fantasies, schemes and plots; carelessness and cowardice; inordinate love of money and possessions - in short all the little sins about which he might previously have told himself: "That does not matter; nobody will notice it, and in any case other people do it too."
The shadow does not consist only of omissions. It shows up just as often in an impulsive or inadvertent act. Before one has time to think, the evil remark pops out, the plot is hatched, the wrong decision is made, and one is confronted with the results that were never intended or consciously wanted. Furthermore, the shadow is exposed to collective infections to a much greater extent than conscious personality. When a man is alone, for instance, he feels relatively all right; but as soon as "the others" do dark primitive things, he begins to fear that if he does not join in, he will be considered a fool. Thus he gives way to impulses that do not really belong to him at all. It is particularly in contacts with people of the same sex that one stumbles over both one's own shadow and those of others. Although we do see the shadow in a person of the opposite sex, we are usually much less annoyed by it and can more easily pardon it.
[/quote]

In Work terms (as per my understanding), working with the shadow involves recognizing the unconscious programs that run within us and integrating parts of the self which have been split off.
fwiw

From the bit of research I did, it seems that those who know the subject and view Reality from that perspective, Archetypes, like many other patterns, are found everywhere, as their symbols are a language of the mind.

You become aware of them in meditation, dream time, when you doodle on a pad, crop circles, landscape art, other art forms, jewelry, hieroglyphs, a logo, on a billboard, anywhere at all. Archetypes can also be auditory, a tone, a series of notes, or a harmonic.

So, if your life is a reflection of your interaction with Creation, then I would suppose that you would be interested in looking for, and collecting clues, in every context of your life and match them against what you understand about the Archetypes to see what impressions you get. OSIT

Others may know much more about this than I do, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom