Facebook friends and whatnot

Henchman 21

Jedi Master
I am writing this for a number of reasons. For one, I'm venting a little bit, for two I'm encouraging all of you who are in the same boat as me (which is probably all who will read this). And three, to get whatever feedback that may be helpful to the topic. Not just for me but for us all.
So I'm the type who likes to post SOTT articles on social media (maybe one or two a day), knowing for the most part that they will go unread by 98% of my friends but I do it anyway because that is who I am. I don't force it down anyone's throat or anything like that but I like to have this information available for anyone who might one day decide to read it. (And if I have to suffer thru the horrible crap most post then they can suffer thru my posts if they want to).
Well just today one of my good friends decided to post on one of my posts. He tried very hard to "slam the source" saying that SOTT.net was owned by a religious group (qfg) and that I should know better for posting religious based bs on Facebook. I asked him what religion that might be? He said ya know aliens and such. I said that life is religion and that is what is believed by the ownership of these sites. He went on and on being very negative to me and SOTT. I had to try my hardest to keep it cool (yeah I slipped a bit here and there and got ugly too) but eventually I was able to calm myself and him down enough to explain that news is news and truth is truth. Can you point out any lies? If not then maybe what is being said is legit.
It took a day of pain but making efforts to keep it real payed off. He left the thread with an understanding he did not have before the conversation. In retrospect I can say that I am happy that he made an attempt to discredit my critical mind and challenge SOTT. He now has (even if it is only a little) more respect for what I have to post than he did before. We left on much better terms at the end of the day than what we started with.
I write this because I think many or even all of us are in a fight similar to this in some way or another. My advice is to not take it personally, remember to breathe (give a shout out to EE) and remember that you're adversary could be a future good friend. Just keep your cool and have confidence for standing up for the truth.
I know that this may have been a post more suited as an addition to another topic already in session but i decided to start it fresh because of the recent attacks that have been rolling through social media these days, be it military support, republican/democrat junk,or the ever present vax/anti vax. Take care and stay strong.

Same here Captainmurphy.
But i don't react on such situations anymore. Yes i post SOTT articles or any other articles that i know are true. At least have more true knowledge then the mainstream pseudo science explanations. And on the beginning a lot of my friends joked with me saying " hey , are you gonna save the world? or what a hell are you talking about" But i dont even try to explain what am i doing that.
Sometimes with some of them we discuss some article or theme and a lot of interesting conclusions and realisations can come for both of us. What i want to say is that a lot of people are not used to hear or to read something that is not part of their believe system.
You cant explain to them because they are probably not ready. There are people who can recognize some knowledge and they are starting to ask, to make an conversation about that subject. With those people you can talk and in that discussions something new can be learned about subject.
The truth must be spread, no mater how. Will it be recognized is individual for every person. Some of them will see, and will start to explore, to research and bring even more truth to the surface.
Others will try everything to attack people who want to spread the truth, to make a jokes of them. That is how things in this reality works. I think its a natural process of learning .

This is very much my IMO. I figure if people don't like what I post then they can just unfriend me. And if they are too lazy to do that then they must enjoy being irritated by the truth.
With regards to attack, why waste good energy trying to justify what you do when they are too lazy to look for the truth themselves. Yes your friend came away with a new understanding but because you expended all that energy trying to dominate him with your opinion he probably won't do anything with it because he wasn't looking or asking for the truth. He was just trying to dominate you and prove that he is "right" which is what you mirrored back to him to prove you are"right".
It might be an idea to read what Castaneda said about self importance.
Castaneda writes that self-importance is a needless piece of baggage that the warrior needs to get rid of simply because maintaining it is a needless expenditure of energy. There is no ethical value judgement on self-importance per se, it simply is superfluous and inefficient and works against the values of correct use of energy the warrior should aspire to. Energy will allow seeing and seeing can bring one to knowledge and freedom. Self-importance is a hindrance on the way.
http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=669&lsel=
I don't believe you have to"fight" for anything. Just gently plant the seeds for others to cultivate if they choose. I would just ignore efforts at discrediting the material, some people are happy in their illusions.
I'm sure others will chime in if they don't agree.

I like to have this information available for anyone who might one day decide to read it. (And if I have to suffer thru the horrible crap most post then they can suffer thru my posts if they want to).

This above quote is coming from you however think about it in the form of a statement coming from someone else. With this above quote you are putting this stuff on the level of lets say a popular movie stars drama filled life "crap" because "informational crap" is relative to the person who views the information.

I feel that the SOTT information and surrounding material is better suited for people that you know somewhat personally this is where the bolded part comes in. If you know them personally then you have a better chance of narrowing down when they are close to that "one day where they decide to read it" and if they are not deciding to read it or take interest then it rarely has a lasting impact IMO. Its important to interact with people in life and develop relationships where you have a better idea who are open to the information/opinions/facts of SOTT and like material. It will not go over well in a social media type place where the above quote is a thought prior to posting this type of material. You are basically saying "I know some people will view this as crap but let me post it anyway because what I view as crap is being posted so there we are even."

Over social media you never know objectively if a person left with a better understanding or did they just say to himself "whatever... im going to say what this guy wants to hear so this can end." Over the internet you can't tell tone and body language/energy they give off. Vibes/energy are more telling than words and its best to get a read of those in person.

why does anyone use facebook , unless it is an intentional use of a tainted domain, to spread untainted information ?

facebook is baaaaad. Use it, but don't invest a single bit of energy messing around with anybody you meet "there". Use the tool, don't let it use you.
just my 2cents :) :cool2:

Lately my ex homeopath that is in Facebook told me by message that she was finally reading Sott.net and learning a lot. She was sceptical a year ago, or more but my insistence to put on my wall almost just Sott articles won, for her I mean. Little by little my friends give some comments about Sott articles. So little by little they are reading them. If just one person, and then this person to another one, etc.

I have to control myself concerning some subjects, like smoking, fat diets, Ukraine, Putin... I become red, almost hysterical. I have to do what you advice: breath profoundly and don't take it personally. Always remind myself that some years ago I was vegetarian, very strict and have contempt for carnivores. I was ignorant of many, many things. If I changed others can change also.

These confrontations are specially good for us, to see where we are and how we deal with the certain limitations of others, that they are our limitations, also. Sometimes is difficult to see that just a little change... But it is not to us to change them. This has to be done by them. In a sense, in Facebook or in the real life, the others always are a good way to work to ourselves. I have two neighbors that are always sick in part because they eat just vegetables. They are afraid of fat. They are always tired. They are always looking tv, in a word their brain is zombi. They used to put me in a bad mood and volcanic feeling but after some months I don't react anymore. I am able to be patient, don't talk about the benefits of fat and the devilish tv influence. I listen. I am able to listen to their zombie messages and not be influenced by it. So I learn, me too. ;)

lainey said:
It might be an idea to read what Castaneda said about self importance.
Castaneda writes that self-importance is a needless piece of baggage that the warrior needs to get rid of simply because maintaining it is a needless expenditure of energy. There is no ethical value judgement on self-importance per se, it simply is superfluous and inefficient and works against the values of correct use of energy the warrior should aspire to. Energy will allow seeing and seeing can bring one to knowledge and freedom. Self-importance is a hindrance on the way.
http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=669&lsel=
I don't believe you have to"fight" for anything. Just gently plant the seeds for others to cultivate if they choose. I would just ignore efforts at discrediting the material, some people are happy in their illusions.
I'm sure others will chime in if they don't agree.

Hi lainey, dealing with self-importance is also what I thought about when reading Captainmurphy's post. I try to look at it this way even though it can be easier said than done. The person is attacking/judging the article or source and not you as a person, unless they come out and say something personal about you for posting the article, which may be the case since it was said the person was being negative toward Captainmurphy. Even if they do say something personal, it seems if it really affects us, then there might be some self-importance involved. I think it is good to look at it this way and not allow a reaction to the comment on the personal level where one might become defensive and have an automatic reaction of thinking or feeling the person is saying you are bad person or wrong for posting this when they comment. Although the discussion about shame vs guilt doesn't apply exactly to the situation, since Captainmurphy wasn't really doing anything wrong, this is what I was thinking about in terms of the above - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/brene-brown-shame-guilt-addiction-oprah_n_2966351.html I think it is we react most emotionally when we feel we or something we support is being shamed, especially if during our upbringing shaming was used on us.

Captainmurphy, I think you did a great job in taking hold of the emotional horses - http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=192 and being constructive about it. It would seem to have been easy to just take it personally and react poorly with your friend taking nothing away. Sounds like it can be looked at on many levels as a good example of keeping the heat of emotions below the neck and using self-observation.

This point is something I keep coming back. A dillema: Do I just present the information and let it speak for itself, or do I speak about it more passionately (not trying to "convert" or win, but speaking of my experiences and how such information changed my life)?
To this day I still don't have a "one size fits all" answer to that. I just ponder case by case, taking in account who is receiving and what is being presented. But I'm well aware that my judgement can be wrong. There was more than one instance where people that I thought would be very interested, just gave a superficial reading, and people that I thought would reactly exctremely bad to the information actually got intrigued by it, and some even joined the forum.

I don't really know. I'll just keep on sharing things and deal with each case.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think my main problem is one of frustration. I sincerely want to help but it seems that most people would rather give a thousand thumbs up to a picture of a cute kitten than even bother reading an important article or listen to an opinion that is not popular. It is their choice and all I can do is be there if someone actually wants help. Thanks for sharing the Castaneda excerpt too. Reactionary pride does play a part when attacked and keeping a clear head about my personal affairs will certainly help. If attacked I will do my best to not take it personally.

I too put sott articles on my fb page,..and sometimes get feedback and sometimes nothing. But what I noticed is when I put up cute videos, of for instance, pets playing with children etc., whooooahhh everybody loves that!, and 'like', post and share. Which is a bit sad. So what I do, is I'll put the sott articles in between the little 'cute' articles hoping to get through a tiny bit, but without expecting anything in return. ;)

lol, I was writing my post while Captainmurphy posted about the cute kitten, and I didn't see it until I posted my reply. ..... Exactly, that damn cute kitten does it every time! :O

Captainmurphy said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think my main problem is one of frustration. I sincerely want to help but it seems that most people would rather give a thousand thumbs up to a picture of a cute kitten than even bother reading an important article or listen to an opinion that is not popular. It is their choice and all I can do is be there if someone actually wants help. Thanks for sharing the Castaneda excerpt too. Reactionary pride does play a part when attacked and keeping a clear head about my personal affairs will certainly help. If attacked I will do my best to not take it personally.

Try not to put yourself in a position that you can be attacked. If you present the information with zealous pride, people can feel attacked by your views.
Do your best to present as accurate information, not dogma.
I'm not sure if I am being clear in what I'm saying. I hope this is helpful.

Use the tool, don't let it use you
absoluately

I to post sott articles on my fb page and find its a great release because i dont feel the need to speak
about these things in person with people when before i would force the issue onto people and it just turned into im right your wrong
now i don't feel the need to be right and let the truth speak for itself.
people on fb have a short attention span they prefer pics or short quotes nothing to heavy were they have to think, personally i cant spend to much time on there looking at what people post makes me wanna :cry: but it can be a great tool if used in the right way and just because people don't comment or like the posts doesn't mean there not being read.,anyway just my 2cents :cool2:

liam1310 said:
Use the tool, don't let it use you
absoluately

I to post sott articles on my fb page and find its a great release because i dont feel the need to speak
about these things in person with people when before i would force the issue onto people and it just turned into im right your wrong
now i don't feel the need to be right and let the truth speak for itself.
people on fb have a short attention span they prefer pics or short quotes nothing to heavy were they have to think, personally i cant spend to much time on there looking at what people post makes me wanna :cry: but it can be a great tool if used in the right way and just because people don't comment or like the posts doesn't mean there not being read.,anyway just my 2cents :cool2:

Touché

I don't even go back and look if anyone is liking or commenting, what's the point of that? If they had a question they could private message but that hasn't happened. The whole and soul purpose is to get the info out there and fingers crossed someone might receive it.

I actually feel it's draining enough seeing all the horse poo people put on there let alone going into some battle of right and wrong that pretty much causes me to fry my circuits and takes an hour to settle down. I do have to restrain myself sometimes from making remarks and comments that people are gonna get on the defensive about, I even notice myself trying to manipulate them by my comments with the articles I post(something I need to work on bad!) but mostly I realise they are in their reality and when/if they are ready to move from that reality then the information is there.

I sincerely want to help but it seems that most people would rather give a thousand thumbs up to a picture of a cute kitten

Thats the level that they are at and thats perfectly fine. People are above us and below us on the learning curve the universe needs it that way it doesn't involve you personally so theres no reason for it to affect your emotions its the way the universe is. The only thing to do is recognize it and move on accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom