Failure to achieve equilibrium

TheSpoon

Jedi
I was having a discussion with a friend on how to make the world a better place. One of the biggest problems as I see it is over population, and I've got a real bee in my bonnet with organisations who suggest that contraception is "bad".

When I researched the question of how many people the planet can support, I came across a report from 2000 in which the World WideFund for Nature calculated the "total requirement to sustain what we consume today [as] 2.85 area units per person on Earth. What is actually available is 2.18, an ecological deficit of close to 30 per cent."
http://www.un.org/jsummit/html/documents/desai_statement_to_2ndcommittee 29oct.doc

My friend and I were discussing a theoretical population of foxes and rabbits. Without food the fox population dies off, and when the rabbit population increases, the fox population is able to expand and so on. It's self regulating. This reminded me of something Agent Smith says in The Matrix:

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area.
There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus
Then I had the scary thought that perhaps it is only war and disease that are keeping our population in check since we have no other natural predators. Then I had a scarier thought that perhaps TPTB are well aware of that fact...

As I wrote in this thread:
Ryan said:
Danny said:
But are we creating a problem for this earth?
Well, let's try a thought experiment. Rounded up for good measure, the world currently has a surface population of 7 billion. Now, according to the Cassiopedia entry on 'Earth', there are 3.3 billion acres of cropland (a fraction of total arable land, which again is a tiny fraction of total non-submerged land surface). That means each person in the world could currently be given their own 0.47 acres of arable land (approximately).

Factoring technology into this, and I think it becomes obvious that the world could support a heck of a lot more people, especially if we suspect that "hidden" technologies exist that could tap energies that are possibly infinitely abundant in scope. And then imagine what is possible if people began to work together in more harmonious way WITH new technology - overpopulation seems like a pretty ridiculous sort of "problem" to be concerned about.

But the idea that humanity has "destroyed the planet beyond repair" and must be "culled for its sins" seems to be increasingly prevalent these days. And this is nothing but a psychopathic paramoralism intended to justify the deaths of billions. As Lobaczewski put it:
Political Ponerology said:
We can thus formulate a more cautious question: can such a system ever waive territorial and political expansion abroad and settle for its present possessions? What would happen if such a state of affairs ensured internal peace, corresponding order, and relative prosperity within the nation? The over-whelming majority of the country’s population would then make skillful use of all the emerging possibilities, taking ad-vantage of their superior qualifications in order to fight for an ever-increasing scope of activities; thanks to their higher birth rate, their power will increase. This majority will be joined by some sons from the privileged class who did not inherit the pathological genes. The pathocracy’s dominance will weaken imperceptibly but steadily, finally leading to a situation wherein the society of normal people reaches for power. This is a nightmare vision to the psychopaths. Thus, the biological, psychological, moral, and economic destruction of the majority of normal people becomes, for the pathocrats, a “biological" necessity. Many means serve this end, starting with concentration camps and including warfare with an obstinate, well-armed foe who will devastate and debilitate the human power thrown at him, namely the very power jeopardizing pathocrats rule: the sons of normal man sent out to fight for an illusionary “noble cause."
And "overpopulation" is being set up as one of the "noble causes" for which the sons of normal man are being manipulated to fight and die for.

Back
Top Bottom