Farfisa or Hammond B3?

My keyboard player in my second band had an Arp Farfisa... until I threatened him with bodily harm...

Hammond.Though off topic/question, how i love the sound of a fender rhodes

the rabbit said:
Hammond.Though off topic/question, how i love the sound of a fender rhodes
Chick Corea comes to mind.. mmm...
But yeah, I dunno much about Farfisa or Hammond B3, but I do love Fender Rhodes.
Edit: I have simulated Hammond/Fender on my keyboard (can't find Farfisa, not sure if I have that), and they both are amazing and totally unique, so if you're getting either one, that's a straight way to musical ecstasy (borrowing the term from Miss Isness in another thread). If you want to see someone who really "gets" the ecstasy, check out some Al Jarreau videos. It's one thing to hear that dude sing, it's another to watch what happens to him when he does it - it's like if you take all of the world's pain and misery and suffering, combine it with all of the world's ecstacy and joy, you see both at the same time in his eyes, expression, it radiates every time he is in the musical "zone". At least that's the impression I get lol.

I thing the Farfisa (can I put Vox into that category?) vs. Hammond B3 maps well, in the rock tradition, to the 'tambourine vs. cowbell' opposition ;)

Mid-sixties, vs. late sixties also maybe.

For some sounds the Hammond is just too fat.

I'm with Johnno, though, after a few weeks thinking about it while listening to the radio in the car. I like both.

Maps well onto the Red Wine vs. White Wine opposition as well. Red wine being Hammond, of course. So Hammond most of the time but with certain dishes maybe not....

" 'tambourine vs. cowbell' opposition' " lol

That made me laugh so hard, Donald. Will say this for the old Farfisa... nothing tops it when it comes to playing surfin' music, and "Telstar" kind of stuff, with the occasional Philip Glass foray thrown in. And I'd much rather tote an ARP around than a Hammond B6 with, of course, the practically obligatory Leslie cabinet... and am speaking from experience, thanks to yet another keyboard player. I love the sound of the Rhodes, too... still unique and "sweet," after all these years.

Back
Top Bottom