Fatty Salad

lainey

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I did an experiment today and I thought I would share it here. One of the things I miss being on keto is crunchy food. I love the texture.
So last time I roasted some pork with crackling I poured the juices left over into a mug and popped it in the fridge till it formed a thick layer of soft lard.
I put a little bit of lettuce, beansprouts, avocado, prawns, salt and olive oil into a bowl and added 4 bug dollops of the lard from the fridge.
The result was a crunchy salad that was glistening with fat.
The lard had a really light nutty flavour which went perfectly with the avocado and it was like a creamy soft salad dressing.
Delicious! I recommend it.

There's a teeny tiny bit left which I put in some Tupperware. Here it is in my lap, look at it shine!

Attachments

• wp_20150904_20_21_53_pro.jpg
    wp_20150904_20_21_53_pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 346
Yup, sounds and looks great. Thanks for sharing. Gotta see if I can get some good prawns and avocado (haven't had any in a long time). But I always have fresh lettuce, parsley, celantro, purple basil, arugula, dill, etc. So I can improvise if I can't find the prawns and avocado (I'd have to get imported stuff from a supermarket, that's why I'm not sure about them). Lard is the main thing, so the other crunchy things can be played around with to find the best fatty salad I can make due with.... :)

Yummers :) i KNOW what you mean about missing certain textures... especially since i'm not that experimental with the baking side. If i could be bothered/able to sprout the odd seed and bean, i think that'd be ideal (though i have bought them 'Chinese stir frys as a cheat ;). I've found capers with avocado to be a good contrast - cuts through the fattiness. Oh and in my salads i'm loving mint and basil - reminds me of eating Vietnamese salads and i'm sure all them herbs are good for you; Mint helps digestion either way.

Oh capers! I love strong flavours, anchovies, garlic. I was sad to give up onions. Basically anything that stinks :whistle:
But yes you guys have the right idea, any kind of salad you like with some big dollops of smooth lard and your good to go! If people can tolerate beets then that's a good addition after they were mentioned on the auto immune thread for fighting biofilms.

Yesterday I tried your suggestion, I'm delighted the taste and appearance.
My daughter came with friends for dinner, they asked me what kind of dressing over the vegetables, really liked them.
With joy I shared the recipe :D

I did the same thing today except I melted butter, poured it over the salad then popped it in the fridge till the butter had hardened again. It turned out quite nice. It wasn't as creamy as the lard but it still had that juicy fattiness to it.

Back
Top Bottom