Finding the right page in a book

Endura

The Force is Strong With This One
Something it happens to me relatively frequently is to open a book exactly on the right page when I am searching something precisely.
I know I must have a special state of mind for that. I would say thinking to it without really thinking to it, rather having the idea in the background.
I don’t know if it’s very clear…

As far as I remember, Colin Wilson speaks of this phenomenon in “The Occult: A History”

Anybody has experienced that?

I've experienced that when I've been looking for a quote to respond to a thread here - and am thankful for it since it saves me a lot of time! :)

I don't really think (in my case) it's anything extraordinary - probably just the subconscious remembering the location and helping out a bit if I let it. That's just my current take on it, though.

There is a method of reading called Photo Reading that is based upon the idea that the subconscious will remember where information is in a book and will be able to point you directly to quotes when you need them.

Check out this thread.

I've experienced the same thing. Also, in times of need, I'll randomly open a book (esoteric or psychological), archived posts or quotes, or past entries in my journal and lo and behold... it was exactly what I needed to read at that particular moment.

Me too, I've experienced that sort of thing when searching for quotes, notes, etc. Or sometimes, when I learn a new word or topic, suddenly I happen to find it written again in other texts the same day. Our brain has very funny ways of working and digging up information... ;)

Ailén said:
Or sometimes, when I learn a new word or topic, suddenly I happen to find it written again in other texts the same day. Our brain has very funny ways of working and digging up information... ;)

This happens to me a lot too. One explanation for this is that until you "learned the word" or topic then what previously escaped your awareness is no longer escaping. The theory is that, instead of this word/idea all of a sudden appearing around, it's been around us all the time and we just haven't noticed it. I remember their was even a Wikipedia page explaining the phenomena but it's since been deleted - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baader-Meinhof_phenomenon.

The most amazing is about dictionaries. I can fall directly on the page where my word is and I don't remember to have seen this page previously.

I was sitting with a friend having coffee and at one point I look around and in a sea of white dishdashes there was a man sitting nearby wearing a t shirt, with the word PRIMUS on it, in bold letters. I started laughing and told my friend that I had just read that word recently(The Wave). I went back to find its reference, yet have not found it. Will keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom