Finding work

truth seeker

The Living Force
I was wondering... I am currently unemployed. I am usually pretty resourceful in finding work but am having a difficult time with the current economic environment (as are countless others). I don't see it getting better any time soon. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how they will be coping with this? Will the majority of the people on earth just end up in the streets?

Hi truth seeker

This is a tricky question....but for starters have you seen Laura's new topic on the breathing exercises?
Eiriu-Eolas - Breathing Program
This may be a good starting point....

I was unemployed about 6 years ago now. One thing I did was spend a lot of time reading and working on my issues (at the time trying to stabilise my depression). So if I knew of this resource back then, I would be going through the recommended reading list and the Diet and Health section.
Learning from the material here seems to be one the best things anyone can do, along with applying and testing it as you go.....

If possible consider trying to expand or get recognised qualifications for existing skills you have perhaps?

Take up gardening (if you have a garden) for extra food and to help reduce stress. Try and network with your local community (if you are in a place to do so). Offer to do jobs for free for people (within reason)...as this may open up paid opportunities and is at least expanding your network.

These are the things I would think to do....and am trying to do anyway. Having a job means I may be able to fund these things better, but it limits the time I have available for reading/learning.

As for everyone ending up on the streets......its possible I guess, but people will (I hope) do what people do, and network and support and help each other.
Don't give up hope :)

These are great suggestions offered by RedFox. I would like to emphasize three things:

1- using your free time to Work on yourself. I was in a similar situation to yourself in the past, right around the time that I found Laura and the C's and SOTT material. For the first time my lifelong depression seemed to be quelled a bit and I was able to get some stuff done. Then, this year all the efforts I put into making little w work happen started to come through and I found myself totally overwhelmed- physically, mentally, spiritually. I took some time off from SOTT (also other activities) because there simply were not enough hours in the day for me to eat and sleep like a normal person and I finally realized that THIS was important work that needed to be done- taking care of myself. Be careful what you wish for! I was able to figure out some things for myself in those two years that this year confirmed for me- what things "I" value and how "I" think I'd like to live my life. Of course then I didn't trust my observations and decided to take on some jobs this year that weren't appropriate for me, but were knocking those things home. It also made me think I was losing my mind at times which finally got me to go to CBT, which I sorely needed. Personally now I'm cutting back some of my work but I've been lucky enough to have other jobs offered recently that I think I will enjoy more and pay more money in the long run.

2- If you haven't read Dmitry Orlov's excellent articles on post-Soviet collapse, I'd recommend them. The most successful individuals were those with useful skills, and those who learned to network. Learning to garden is great (but I'm a gardening fiend myself) or you could learn to perhaps be a woodworker, mend clothes, electronics, speak another language, whatever interests you that you think could be useful. In the process you'll develop a skill which not only could be satisfying to you but make you a unique and contributing part of whatever networks you are in. It also probably will allow for discourse and interaction with others in which you can observe yourself and maybe even make a positive change in your local communities.

3. This is just my own observation, so throw it out if it doesn't apply to you. I work as a musician and there are basically two paths for us: get a steady gig (orchestra, teaching position, etc.) or be a free-lancer. It's great to have something steady for obvious reasons, and that's the sort of thing that they foster upon you at school. What I realized is 1. I like working a lot of different jobs for personal reasons (travel, meet a lot of people, variety of coworkers, audience, types of music, etc.) but 2. in certain times it may be even better to work a lot of different jobs. What I mean is, if Ned Numbers loses his number-crunching cubicle job, he's out a lot of money all at once. Hopefully he was able to save some up and he got a decent package when he was released. For Max Music, however, if he loses his gig at the Hilton it's not that big of a deal- he probably has quite a few other sources of income that month from all the other gigs he is doing. Obviously being a free-lancer is not appropriate in every situation but perhaps you could think about what you could do so that you aren't so dependent upon the normal 40-hr a week work system? Ie- if you had a part-time job, you could spend a lot of time on your garden producing food, or have time to cook meals that if you worked a lot you'd have to eat out sometimes. Or be able to take care of an invalid relative instead of paying money for a caretaker or nursing home. Or even take two part-time jobs that you like. There's an obvious psychological benefit to be found here as well.

Anyway, maybe these are some ideas that can help you think outside of the box.

Best of luck,
D

Well, now that you mention it, I think I'll add my "manifesting breathing" exercise to the breathing program audio/videos.

truth seeker said:
I was wondering... I am currently unemployed.

My job became "redundant" when I was 56. It took me 10 months to find other work.
Only when I started to look for something not directly related to my documented skills.
This to me seems very important, to be flexible and ready to explore new avenues.
Now in my retirement I deliver newspapers (to stores) as part time independent contractor.
This also saves a lot of taxes and you meet many people.
Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Laura said:
Well, now that you mention it, I think I'll add my "manifesting breathing" exercise to the breathing program audio/videos.

Well that sound good. If its as effective as the pipe breathing it'll be fantastic!
Reminds me of a thread you posted in Laura which is probably quite relevent to finding an income Lets talk money

D Rusak said:
If you haven't read Dmitry Orlov's excellent articles on post-Soviet collapse, I'd recommend them.

I remember reading something like that on the SOTT main page last year I think, but can't seem to find the link. It was most enlightening.

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions.

RedFox - Yes! I downloaded the breathing program yesterday and will be listening to them today as well as reading the Let's Talk Money thread.

RedFox and D Rusak - I think I found the SOTT article you were both referring to. It's called "Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century" and has three parts.

Leo40 said:
This to me seems very important, to be flexible and ready to explore new avenues.
Now in my retirement I deliver newspapers (to stores) as part time independent contractor.
This also saves a lot of taxes and you meet many people.

A few years ago when my work as a freelance editor began to dry up a bit, I took on a part-time weekend job delivering a weekly paper to people in the country, to help make ends meet. It was intended only as a very "temporary" solution to a cash-flow problem, but I ended up really loving it. I took my dog with me, and we got to enjoy some really gorgeous countryside and wildlife, and meet and get to know some terrific people. In the winter time it continually renewed my faith in people: I used to get stuck in the snow at least a couple of times each weekend, and without fail someone would always quickly appear to provide a push or pull me out with their tractor.

The only reason I gave it up was that driving those rough country roads was really doing a number on the car. But I still miss it....

I FEEL for you and my heart bleeds. I HAVE that understanding of the fear and helplessness. I have lost it all (more than once) and did not know if I'd have shelter for my wife, children, and pets. I've swept floors and cleaned toilets and am a software applications engineer! The more we learn, the stronger the attacks. This will pass. Always be true to yourself. Most people wallor and when a door of opportunity opens they do not see. Be open and do what you gotta do for food and shelter. All that matters is you and the ones you love. Be of good spirit with the knowledge of life on this BBM you have and I betchya the universe will not let you down.

HEY MODERATORS: Think maybe a new forum for job seeking skills may be of value?

I left a job of 19 years & my hometown, moved my partner & our kids across country to start a new job in January. I had faith that my progress with the Work would help me to recognize opportunities & capitalize on them. Now I do hard physical labor for a resort community which has multi-billionares for members. I live well below middle-class but am happy I can provide for my family. Do the Work as best you can, keep faith, & I believe opportunities will come. Stay optomistic because our thoughts manifest our experiences. Or so I believe. All the best to you.

Back
Top Bottom