Fireball over Norway - Need a Norwegian translator!

Vulcan59

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Hi all,

Need translation help again. Seems like a new fireball was spotted over Norway. Again the report is not in English and I have not been able to find any. Appreciate help in translating.

http://www.yr.no/nyheter/1.7020678

Hey Vulcan!

Ever try this service:

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

It isn't perfect, but it's free up to 500 words, and a lot of times it's enough to limp through! cheers

Like I said, not perfect:

A a flame went over the skyfrie East- and sørlandshimmelen on Tuesday evening, circa each layer of eight. The whole lasted four-five seconds.
This her will Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard just like to see ceilings in.
SHALL on hunting: Ødegaard will try to krysspeile itself until meteoritten.
NRK
gold, or is: it is this you are looking for.
NRK
- it was a bright meteor, and it may have fallen down in Norway. The majority are burned up in the at mosphere, but those who are great can this down, says Ødegaard.
- it had been fun to know about people have seen or heard something.
input in a
one or other place in the East- or Sørlandet, deep on the snow, can it then lie A meteorite and wait to be discovered.
- it is coal black in surface: Though it is stein or iron, I cannot say in advance. Can I get think high, suggest the blågrønne color of that it was a metalmeteoritt.
Metoritten can be little as a klinkekule or slightly larger than a hand, was announced by Ødegaard.
- it is deep snow. It will be well as to look after input in a.
Even will also use observations in a quest to krysspeile her: of
how deep you need to look? Check the current snømålinger on yr.no!
Read
a meteorite that lands on the ground gives probably sound from itself. in June 2006 was a read when North Troms received visits from space.
If you have heard sounds, as bouldring or bangs, will Ødegaard ike to know it.
sounds can be happy to have come a few minutes after the meteoritten were visible, has announced he.

EDIT: It would have done a better job had I avoided the picture captions more carefully when I copied from the article

I understand some Norwegian, so I gave it a go, Vulcan. It is better than the automatic translation (that's not hard, though ;D), but don't trust me 100%. Hopefully a Norwegian member can proofread it.

A bluish green fireball flew over the bright sky in the East – and the Southern sky on Tuesday, at almost quarter pas eight in the evening. The entire event lasted 4-5 minutes.

Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard would like to get a hold of this object.

This was a super powerful meteorite, and it could have fallen in Norway. Most of them explode in the atmosphere, but the large ones can reach the ground, says Ødegaard.

It would have been fun to get know whether people had seen or heard something.

The Needle in the Haystack

In some place in the East – or the South, deeply buried in the snow, there can also be a meteorite waiting to be found.

This here is black coal on the surface. But whether it is stone or iron, I cannot tell in advance. If I’m allowed to think out loud, I suggest that this bluish green color points at a metal meteorite.

Meteorites can be a small as a marble, or slightly bigger than a hand, said Ødegaard

It is deep snow. It is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

This Astrophysicist will use his own observations in an attempt to detect (?) the object.

How deep will you search? Check here the daily snow measurements !

Thanks Ailén. Your language skills are amazing!

One thing, just in case Vulcan misses it. Although I don't understand Norwegian, I'm sure that in this sentence: 'The entire event lasted 4-5 minutes.' should be seconds and not minutes.

Possibility of Being said:
One thing, just in case Vulcan misses it. Although I don't understand Norwegian, I'm sure that in this sentence: 'The entire event lasted 4-5 minutes.' should be seconds and not minutes.

Lol! Oups! I missed the obvious! Thank you. Ok, I take back what I wrote. In some respects, automatic translators CAN be better than absent-minded humans :-[

Hi Ailén, Possibility of Being, Potamus

Thanks for translating. It's published on SOTT.net. The bottom half after the subtitle "Needles in a Haystack", is left out since it seems to refer to a picture of a meteorite found at the original website.

Potamus, online translators are not very good and often leave many words untranslated and as such I try not to use them, unless there is no other choice. Hopefully we'll get more info in the days ahead. :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/204105-Fireball-Over-Norway

I'm new on the forum, from Norway. Translation :
En blågrønn ildkule føk over den skyfrie øst- og sørlandshimmelen tirsdag kveld, circa kvart over åtte. Det hele varte i fire-fem sekunder.
A blue-green ball of fire "whooshed" (føk) across the clear eastern and southern skies of Norway tuesday night, at approx 2015. It lasted for 4-5 seconds.

Denne gjenstanden vil Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard gjerne ha tak i.
This item is something Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard wants to get hold of.

– Det var en superkraftig meteor, og den kan ha falt ned i Norge. De fleste brenner opp i atmosfæren, men de som er store kan dette ned, sier Ødegaard.
It was a superstrong meteor, and it may have fallen down in Norway. Most of them burns up in the atmosphere, but the big ones may fall down, Ødegaard says.

– Det hadde vært morsomt å få vite om folk har sett eller hørt noe.
It would be fun to know if anyone has seen or heard anything.

Nåla i høystakken
"The needle in the haystack"

Ett eller annet sted på Øst- eller Sørlandet, dypt begravd i snøen, kan det altså ligge en meteoritt og vente på å bli oppdaget.
Someplace in the eatern/southern parts of Norway, buried in thew snow, there might lie a meteorite, waiting to be discovered.

– Den er kull svart i overflaten. Om det er stein eller jern kan jeg ikke si på forhånd. Kan jeg få tenke høyt, tyder den blågrønne fargen på at det var en metalmeteoritt.
It will be black as coal on the surface. Whether it is made of rock or iron I can't tell beforehand. If I should speculate the blue-green colour suggests it might have been a metal meteorite.

Metoritten kan være liten som en klinkekule eller litt større enn en hånd, opplyser Ødegaard.
The meteor might be as small as a marble or slightly bigger than a hand, Ødegaard says.

– Det er dyp snø. Det blir vel som å lete etter nåla i høystakken.
The snow is deep. It will be like looking for the needle in the haystack.

Selv vil astrofysikeren bruke observasjoner i et forsøk på å krysspeile gjenstanden.
The astrophysycyst will utilize observational data in an attempt to cross-track the object.

Kjempesmell
Loud bang

En meteoritt som lander på bakken gir trolig lyd fra seg. I juni 2006 kom et kjempesmell da Nord-Troms fikk besøk fra verdensrommet.
A meteorite landing on the earth will probably make some sound. In june 2006 there was a gigantic bang when Northern Troms (northen province in Norway) was visited from outer space.

Om du har hørt lyder, som buldring eller smell, vil Ødegaard gjerne vite det.
If you have heard any sounds or bangs, Ødegaard would like to know.
Lydene kan gjerne ha kommet noen minutter etter at meteoritten var synlig, opplyser han.
The sounds might have come some minutes after the meterite was visible, he says.

hithere,

Thanks for the translation.

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom