Fireball tally from American Meteor Society

JayMark said:
New update:

320 as of today.

320 / 45 days = 7.11/d

7.11 x 365 = app. 2595 at this trend.

So a few hundread more than last year for sure. And who knows, the trend may suddenly "shift gear" if you know what I mean. These last 24-48h have been quite special in terms of activity + the upcoming asteroid which may or may not interact with us. We'll know pretty soon!

Put your helmets on!

Another way of comparing the data: in the first 45 days of 2012 there were 238. So already, in two months, that's almost 100 more this year...

New update:

792 reports as of today, March April the 3rd (93 days into 2013).

792 / 93 = 8.52 events per day (was at 7.11 on February the 16th)

Trend has gained another +20% in intensity in the past month and a half.

At the same date last year, we were at 494 listed events (maybe not all confirmed though). So that's roughly 300 more this year so far.

It speaks for itself.

Mod's note: Edited as requested.

Palinurus said:
792 reports as of today, March the 3rd (93 days into 2013).
Hey Jaymark, I take it you meant to write April... :P

Yep, I meant April.

Could a mod edit it please? Thanks a bunch. (Mod: Done)

And thanks for noticing Palinurus.

Darn linear time...

As of today (24.05.3013) we have 1128 Events in the US.

Last year at the same time there were 724 Events.
An uptick of more than 55% compared to last year in the same time frame...

So the trend continuous to go steeply uphill.

Pashalis said:

Now up to 9.89 / day. We were at 8.52 / day not even a month ago. So another 13.85% increase in roughly 21 days.

Indeed the trend is still going up.

JayMark said:
Pashalis said:

Now up to 9.89 / day. We were at 8.52 / day not even a month ago. So another 13.85% increase in roughly 21 days.

I come up with 7.83/day with those data and not 9.89? 1128 Events/144 days = 7.83 Events per day.....

Pashalis said:
JayMark said:
Pashalis said:

I come up with 7.83/day with those data and not 9.89? 1128 Events/144 days = 7.83 Events per day.....

My bad, went too fast with the calculator and divided by 114 and not 144 like I should have.

Thanks for noticing.

Quick update

2,293 confirmed events from the AMS so far to this day (278 days in 2013).

So it means that the rate is now up to 8.25/day which means an increase of app. 5% since the last update in May.

Last year, we have had 1448 reports by the same date meaning an increase of roughly 58% in a single year.

If we compare to 2011 (1132 events by this date) we're seeing a 103% increase.

JayMark said:
Quick update

So it means that the rate is now up to 8.25/day which means an increase of app. 5% since the last update in May.

Last year, we have had 1448 reports by the same date meaning an increase of roughly 58% in a single year.

It's so remarkable that the increasing events keep increasing at a faster and faster rate. Yet too many people in the world don't seem to be taking notice.

SeekinTruth said:
JayMark said:
Quick update

It's so remarkable that the increasing events keep increasing at a faster and faster rate. Yet too many people in the world don't seem to be taking notice.

Absolutely. Quite crazy when you think that this is actually just what is reported to the AMS. I wonder how many comets/meteors actually hit the Earth every day. I think that the answer would be quite frightening.

I wonder how many major events it will take to wake people up. It seems to me that the Russian event of last February was finally classified by most as just being one of these random once-in-a-century event which shouldn't raise much concern.

Yeah, think about the number of event that aren't reported, mainly because they occur in uninhabited areas such as over the oceans - a large majority of the Earth's surface - and deserts, forests, and remote mountain ranges, etc.

... and yet the guberments are very silent about
"what's going up there", as if no news is good news?
Move along... nothing to see up there...

Oh dear. It seems like we're going up another notch. All these articles on SOTT:

Yet another fireball lights up early-morning sky in U.S. Midwest, American Meteor Society says September 2013 most active month since it began tracking in 2005

And then:

Meteor Alert - Several larger meteor events expected! NEO Asteroids close approaches October 2013

I went back to AMS yesterday and was shocked to see that there had been 106 new confirmed events in a mere 8 days since the last update. Now I went back this morning and was shocked again to see 25 new events in less than a day. So we've had 131 new reports in the last 9 days! That is truly significant.

The event #2456 was even reported by as many as 71 people over 7 states (it happened yesterday/today depending on your time zone).

Event Map

Now if I compare with the rate 9 days ago and add the new events we get up to 8.45/d so an increase of 2.4%. We already have 278 more events that last year's total. And the year's certainly not over yet.

I've got a bad feeling over this. We may be very soon to witness another major event. Let us hope that this time people will wake up.

Of course, the NASA won't be there to help...

Back
Top Bottom