Fireball tally from American Meteor Society

Translated from Spanish by Microsoft
Don't miss the Perseids this year. Its maximum will take place during the night of the 12th to the 13th of August. In @Proyecto_SMART we have prepared this video informative: #ttps://t.co/rjV2B4yTXH @ElHuffPost @diariolaopinion @esa_es @UniHuelva @Enclmdiario @Almeria24h @ideal_almeria

Adrien Mauduit Published on Aug 9, 2018
The night of Aug. 9th 2018 was supposed to be overcast but around 2:00am LT the sky cleared and I drove up Mont Rond in the Jura Mountains in France to hopefully catch a meteor or two. I mainly started taking pictures and time-lapses and I left a third camera (the almighty Sonay a7s) to record real-time some areas of the sky (ISO 12k-40k).

I was happy when I knew I had captured one but what a surprise when I discovered today that I caught way more than that! Especially when most of the shooting stars went right through the Big Dipper! What a specatcle! Some shots were taken at 20mm but most were taken at 50mm and 135mm! What are the odds right?

That means the activity has picked up and it means that if you have clear skies between now and Aug. 12-13th (peak), go out!! (Well it also continues with a decreased activity the rest of August.).

I hope this short video motivates you to go outside in the warmer August nights and spot meteors! They can definitely be seen with the naked eye and some bolides are super bright! The radiant (apparent origin of the meteors) is situated in Perseus. This constellation rises from the N-NE at nightfall in the northern hemisphere and we're approaching new moon so no excuse!

VHF Meteor scanner this weekend Perseid meteor shower August 11 to 13th 2018
Officialvhfuhfchannel Published on Aug 8, 2018
Meteor showers are great time to listen to VHF signals scattered by meteor ionization trails

:whistle:
Translated from Spanish by Microsoft
Video summary of the maximum of the Perseids from Calar Alto (Almería) @Azimuth_Spain @miangulo_95 @ideal_almeria @ElHuffPost @esa_es @Almeria24h @lavozdealmeria @AlmeriaInfo37 @Almeria360 @DiarioDAlmeria @opinionalmeria @cefalopodo @pmisson @AstroHita

REAL-TIME PERSEID METEOR SHOWER BEST-OF 2018 - Valais, Switzerland

GREAT PERSEIDS: The 2018 Perseid meteor shower was one of the best in years. The shower peaked on August 12-13 with many observers counting more than 100 meteors per hour. The New Moon coincided with the shower's peak, providing a dark backdrop for the flurry of debris from parent comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. Highlights include this fireball photographed by Petr Horálek of Slovakia:

fireball_strip.jpg

"The flash from this extremely bright fireball on Aug. 12th surprised dozens of observers in and around the Kolonica Observatory," says Horálek. "It was so bright, the landscape lit up as if under a crescent Moon. The debris trail (inset) was visible for more than one hour after the fireball appeared in the sky. What a great Perseids peak this year!"

On Aug. 14, 2018, the network reported 180 fireballs.
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
(110 Perseids, 66 sporadics, 1 Southern iota Aquariid, 1 , 1 , 1 Southern delta Aquariid)
9ed008dc58ee01bfe58bd2644b984319.png

In this diagram of the inner solar system, all of the fireball orbits intersect at a single point--Earth. The orbits are color-coded by velocity, from slow (red) to fast (blue). [Larger image] [movies]

Last edited:
The sky was falling’: Perth residents shocked by BOOM of ‘bloody huge’ meteor (VIDEO)
‘The sky was falling’: Perth residents shocked by BOOM of ‘bloody huge’ meteor (VIDEO)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
A “bloody huge” meteor that sounded like a “plane crashing” and made dogs go “psycho” dazzled onlookers as it streaked across the Perth night sky on Tuesday. Scientists say it most likely hit Earth.

Firefighters received numerous calls at around 7:40 pm, on Tuesday, from frantic locals who had caught a glimpse of the fireball. Some said they suspected it was a UFO, while others phoned because they feared it could start a massive fire.

One woman said she was in the shower when she heard something akin to a “plane crashing.”
Rosena Cox told ABC: “I just heard this enormous bang, it sounded like an explosion and I just thought ‘what on earth was that’ because it was so intense.”

Another said it couldn’t have been just thunder because of the “boom” that accompanied it. Robyn Garratt said people felt like “the sky was falling.”

“It shook the whole house, the windows, the dog went psycho,” Garratt added.

Twitter was afloat with shocked accounts of the blazing ball.

One branded it “bloody huge”, while another believed he had been “flashed by a speed camera”.
Director of the Desert Fireball Network, Professor Phil Bland, said initial observations suggested the inferno ball had hit Earth. He said because the object was “unusually bright” it must have been “big,” before adding that the sonic booms reported by people are a compelling factor indicating that the fireball entered the atmosphere.

CCTV and witness footage of the burning object is now being reviewed by the Perth Observatory in a bid to understand its origin.

Reactions: Ca.
Thought I'd post this updated chart since we're near year end. With 10 more days to go, looks like 2018 will add to the growing year on year tally.

Attachments

• Fireballs-2018.jpg
    Fireballs-2018.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 32
Here's an intresting coincide. :huh:
Brilliant Fireball in California Leaves Twisted Trail Over San Francisco (Photos)
SAN FRANCISCO — A brilliant fireball lit up the sky over the San Francisco Bay Area shortly after sunset Wednesday (Dec. 19), leaving an odd, wind-twisted trail in its violent wake.

The meteor, which was visible across a wide swath of California, blazed up around 5:30 p.m. local time (8:30 p.m. EST; 0130 GMT on Dec. 20), first appearing as a bright-white point of light. As it streaked through the air on its high-speed death dive, the space rock sprouted a tail composed of tiny pieces of its own disintegrating body.

This "smoke trail" glowed silvery-white against the darkening sky, lit up from below by the sinking sun. It was very cool; I saw it from my apartment's deck. [Amazing Photos! The Awesome Gemind Meteor Shower of 2018]

In Stockton, California, just over 80 miles east of San Francisco, the meteor surprised some spectactors on the road.

"I saw it when I drove home," said Josie Malik (mother of Space.com managing editor Tariq Malik). "I didn't know what it was until I heard the news. It was really pretty and just hung there."

Rocket Glitch Delays Spy Satellite Launch Again
The United States will have to wait a bit longer to get its newest spy satellite aloft.

The secret NROL-71 reconnaissance satellite was scheduled to lift off Wednesday evening (Dec. 19) atop a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV Heavy rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. But controllers called the attempt off about 10 minutes before the planned launch, after noticing an issue with the rocket.

"The launch of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy carrying the NROL-71 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office was scrubbed today due to indications of elevated hydrogen concentrations within the port booster engine section," ULA representatives said in a statement.

"The team is prepping for a 24-hour turnaround on Thursday, Dec. 20, from Space Launch Complex 6 at Vandenberg Air Force Base," they added. "The forecast shows an 80 percent chance of favorable weather conditions for launch. The launch time is planned for 5:31 p.m. PST."

You can watch Thursday's attempt live here at Space.com, courtesy of ULA, beginning at 8:11 p.m. EST (5:11 p.m. PST; 0111 GMT on Dec. 21). You can also watch directly via ULA.

This is the latest in a series of launch delays for NROL-71, which will be operated by the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office. Attempts on Dec. 7 and Dec. 8 were scrubbed due to technical issues, and a Dec. 18 try was called off because of high winds.

Meteor reported in Venezuela (video in both links) One thread remarked how soon it was after Cuba's/

"Last minute meteorite was seen in Maracay and Valencia the meteorite fell near the CC the arboral, just in front of the Urb quintas of Yellow flower in Valencia Edo Carabobo" (translated)

"Confirmed the meteorite falls in the city of Valencia behind the CC the arboral, right in front of the URB quintas yellow flower Valencia "

"Today, Saturday, 09/02/2019, an astronomical event has just been registered in Venezuela (19:35 local time). The phenomenon, which appears to be a meteorite, could be seen in the skies of Valencia, Victoria and Caracas Video of "

The alleged meteor may have started the fires in the second video.

[Edits: added one more tweet and comment]

Last week I thought it would be worthwhile to update all the statistics and graphs from AMS, since the last update in that regard is over two years old.

To my dismay I encountered some unresolveable problems in their new automatic event data base. After trying for a while I came to the conclusion that AMS must have a rather serious bug in their new system which makes it impossible to get any realiable data out of it anymore. That it is a Browser problem on my side has been ruled out as well. I thought it might be worthwhile to point that probabal bug out to them via Mail?

Last week I thought it would be worthwhile to update all the statistics and graphs from AMS, since the last update in that regard is over two years old.

To my dismay I encountered some unresolveable problems in their new automatic event data base. After trying for a while I came to the conclusion that AMS must have a rather serious bug in their new system which makes it impossible to get any realiable data out of it anymore. That it is a Browser problem on my side has been ruled out as well. I thought it might be worthwhile to point that probabal bug out to them via Mail?

Can you explain what you mean? I just checked and the usual graphs are all there. Also, last Dec. 20th (see several posts up) I posted the latest graph tally of all country events.

Can you explain what you mean? I just checked and the usual graphs are all there. Also, last Dec. 20th (see several posts up) I posted the latest graph tally of all country events.

I wanted to update the following graphs and tables (among others I derive from those data sets as well), last updated here in 2017, to the current status of the data in their system, including the data for 2017 and 2018.

What I encountered is the following problem:

If you go to the new Event database [they changed it a few years ago to an automatic display mode, for a lack of better description on my part] and click for example the following set of data;

"United States", "All States", "2016", "All Types", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 3802 Events.

Now, if you change the data set to get the "With Sound" data set:

"United States", "All States", "2016", "With Sound", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 354 Events.

Now if you change the data set to "With Fragmentation":

"United States", "All States", "2016", "With Fragmentation", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 1134 Events.

Now, if you change the data set back to the "With Sound" data set:

"United States", "All States", "2016", "With Sound", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 1134 Events.

Now if you change the data set back to "With Fragmentation":

"United States", "All States", "2016", "With Fragmentation", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 1134 Events.

And when you now change the data set to:

"United States", "All States", "2016", "with sound, with Fragmentation", "All Number of Reports" and "All Event" you get 193 Events.

So something in the system seems to mix up things so that you can't know for sure which data relates to what. Thus it is practically useless to update this data.

If you play around you will find the same problem in any set of data you try to retrieve there. Numbers get mixed up and you don't know which number relates to which data set, unless you count it all out yourself, for thousands of data points. The numbers don't add up because of it too of course.

PS: Spelling corrected

Last edited:
If you play around you will find the same problem in any set of data you try to retrieve there. Numbers get mixed up and you don't know which number relates to which data set, unless you count it all out yourself, for thousands of data points. The numbers don't add up because of it too of course.

Maybe write them an email and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom