Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds documentary

Gary

The Cosmic Force
FOTCM Member
This is the official trailer:

From Directors Werner Herzog and Clive Oppenheimer, Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds explores how meteorites have impacted our planet’s landscapes and cultures. Watch Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds on Apple TV+ https://apple.co/_Fireball

From Astronomy magazine:

Werner Herzog’s new documentary Fireball captures humanity’s fascination with meteorites

The iconoclastic filmmaker and his co-director, volcanologist Clive Oppenheimer, talk meteorites, fake news, and phosphine with Astronomy ahead of the release of their new documentary.

By Mark Zastrow | Published: Thursday, November 12, 2020

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds is not your typical science documentary. There are no diagrams, no explanatory green-screens, no points where the narrator stops to define terms.

Of course, you wouldn’t expect that approach from Werner Herzog, the director of wild-eyed reveries like Fitzcarraldo and clear-eyed examinations of humanity’s relationship with nature like Grizzly Man. Neither does that style suit University of Cambridge volcanologist Clive Oppenheimer, Herzog’s co-director.

After Herzog featured Oppenheimer in his 2007 documentary Encounters at the End of the World, the pair collaborated on the film Into the Inferno — a meditation on volcanos, the people who study them, and humanity’s relationship with them. And now, the pair are back at it again with Fireball, taking that same anthropologic approach to meteorites and impact craters.

Fireballcover

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds, is a new documentary film directed by Werner Herzog and Clive Oppenheimer.
Courtesy of Apple TV+

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds is available on Apple TV+ starting November 13.

The duo of Oppenheimer and Herzog are not interested in making an “educational film” with Fireball, although you’ll surely learn something interesting from it. Their approach is to dive into how random encounters between space rocks and Earth have shaped human culture and history.

The film jumps between labs and locales all over the world, including: the ice fields of Antarctica, where researchers hunt for fallen stones on vast expanses of ice; the limestone sinkholes of the Yucatán Peninsula, where the Chicxulub impactor left its 93-mile-wide (150 kilometers) mark 65 million years ago; and Mer Island in the Torres Strait, where Melanesian Meriam elders recall myths that describe how meteors are a link to the afterlife.

Along the way, Herzog is the man behind the camera, while Oppenheimer doubles as an affable, curious host and expert. Researchers clearly view Oppenheimer as a peer, and his conversations with them are often unguarded, full of enthusiasm, and don’t shy away from technical details. In many ways, the film gets closer to the actual work of scientists and how they interact than any didactic, educational film ever could.

Recently, the pair hopped on a Zoom call with Astronomy to talk about the film. The following interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Beautiful cinematography, but little insight.
Also the dialogue style is obsolete and superfluous. Interviewer doesn’t add much, cliché questions such as for instance asking the head of Vatican Observatory if he would baptize aliens.:huh:

The documentary is about meteorites as messengers from outer space, but it doesn’t go any length into elements, creation or myths. The Chicxulub crater magnitude and significance in Earth history is contrasted with present-day desolation of the Mexican northern coast, and the ball of fire dance staged for tourists in Merida. That’s just not relevant. Take for instance Ancient Aliens with its hyped conjectures and outlandish hypotheses - which does a better job in terms of food for thought. The Korean mission’s quest for meteorites in Antarctica is emotional, but again it’s just that, no real insight from picking up one of the largest meteorites ever found in 2004. China has now four bases in Antarctica and probably sweeps for any meteorite or find. Also, there’s no mention of space missions aimed at getting samples from out of space meteorites, such as the recent Hayabusa2, and possible developments that study of these minerals could bring for humanity. Finally, the stopovers and chatting at NASA’s Planetary Defense and at Pan-STARRS Observatory on Haleakala are just flat and uninspiring.

Beautiful cinematography, but little insight.
Also the dialogue style is obsolete and superfluous. Interviewer doesn’t add much, cliché questions such as for instance asking the head of Vatican Observatory if he would baptize aliens.:huh:

The documentary is about meteorites as messengers from outer space, but it doesn’t go any length into elements, creation or myths. The Chicxulub crater magnitude and significance in Earth history is contrasted with present-day desolation of the Mexican northern coast, and the ball of fire dance staged for tourists in Merida. That’s just not relevant. Take for instance Ancient Aliens with its hyped conjectures and outlandish hypotheses - which does a better job in terms of food for thought. The Korean mission’s quest for meteorites in Antarctica is emotional, but again it’s just that, no real insight from picking up one of the largest meteorites ever found in 2004. China has now four bases in Antarctica and probably sweeps for any meteorite or find. Also, there’s no mention of space missions aimed at getting samples from out of space meteorites, such as the recent Hayabusa2, and possible developments that study of these minerals could bring for humanity. Finally, the stopovers and chatting at NASA’s Planetary Defense and at Pan-STARRS Observatory on Haleakala are just flat and uninspiring.
Hi mbww. Can you enlighten? Its 18 months since you first joined and you’ve posted 57 times since, but despite requests to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum and share something of your background and how/why you came here, you just go on posting whatever you think and when you think, regardless. Just wondered if you would normally pop into someone else’s house, put your feet up and then after a while wander out again... leaving ash in the tray say and marks on the carpet… and keep that up... and never think it’s in anyway impolite or strange? This is Laura's house, we all here the house keepers and I just wondered... what's this all about? Have you ever read anything she has written or have any interest in what the purpose of this place is?

Last edited:
Hi mbww. Can you enlighten? Its 18 months since you first joined and you’ve posted 57 times since, but despite requests to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum and share something of your background and how/why you came here, you just go on posting whatever you think and when you think, regardless. Just wondered if you would normally pop into someone else’s house, put your feet up and then after a while wander out again... leaving ash in the tray say and marks on the carpet… and keep that up... and never think it’s in anyway impolite or strange? This is Laura's house, we all here the house keepers and I just wondered... what's this all about? Have you ever read anything she has written or have any interest in what the purpose of this place is?
Huh!?

I came here for the C's readings as many others, I stayed and write on forum occasionally when I find something noteworthy or inspiring and generally when I feel I can contribute positively. My general attitude towards social media and forums is post if you have something meaningful to say, but I understand others' need to relieve themselves writing about personal experiences or daily routines. I did read Laura's literature years ago, I don't resonate with certain themes and views such as soulless beings or enslavement by STS, as I am firm believer in human ability to raise above any form on manipulation. Fear itself is the ultimate STS enslavement. Otherwise I don't feel like an intruder or tolerated presence here or elsewhere, I do clean after myself, don't feel like the need to tell my life story here either - rest assured there's nothing special, and I tend to be allergic to enforcers with small town sheriff syndrome.

Huh!?

I came here for the C's readings as many others, I stayed and write on forum occasionally when I find something noteworthy or inspiring and generally when I feel I can contribute positively. My general attitude towards social media and forums is post if you have something meaningful to say, but I understand others' need to relieve themselves writing about personal experiences or daily routines. I did read Laura's literature years ago, I don't resonate with certain themes and views such as soulless beings or enslavement by STS, as I am firm believer in human ability to raise above any form on manipulation. Fear itself is the ultimate STS enslavement. Otherwise I don't feel like an intruder or tolerated presence here or elsewhere, I do clean after myself, don't feel like the need to tell my life story here either - rest assured there's nothing special, and I tend to be allergic to enforcers with small town sheriff syndrome.

Hi mbww, I think you are missing the point here. This forum is not like a regular forum where you post whatever you feel like posting. Is ok to interact, provide opinions, share experiences or help researching in any of the subjects we handle here but in order to do that we kindly ask the newbies to share a little bit of their background and how you found this forum, an introduction post in the newbies thread, that's it, simple. First, because we would like to have a little bit of an idea of who we are interacting with here and second to have a little precaution, not saying that you may be ''dangerous'' or something like that right away, but in general just trying to keep the forum as a safe environment for everyone.
Following the previous analogy that Michael used; If you have a house and you see people coming in into your home at least you'd like them to introduce themselves to you first, yes? Is just consideration.

don't feel like the need to tell my life story here either
We don't really want to hear your life story. Just some little things like how you found the forum, if you've read any of Laura's works (which you said you have) and what interests do you have. As irjo said, simple. And the polite thing to do.
rest assured there's nothing special,
I believe you.
I tend to be allergic to enforcers with small town sheriff syndrome.
That's fairly rude and condescending. Us "enforcers with small town sheriff syndrome" are here for a reason. To keep the forum safe and as noise-free as possible. However, we are allergic to small-minded, egotistical people who think they are better than everyone else and don't need to be polite or follow certain forum customs or rules. Not that that is you.....I'm just sayin'....

Look, you're off on a wrong track - apologies to the OP, this was supposed to be about Herzog and meteorites. Admin please clean up the thread or move this discussion elsewhere - this will be my last reply to this nonsense anyways.

Picking up on someone just because he or she doesn't abide to your conventions or align to your line of thought or because you feel like sensing a dissonance, be that on a public or private forum - is at your loss. You don't get to improve the quality of your conversations by drawing circles or playing only your favorite tunes. Making assumptions is not good for your health and mind, either. Asking someone direct questions about who they are or what they think is the wrong approach. You don't get to know someone just like that, you're the one intruding. When mistrust is seeded, it's hard to revert it, so no matter how much one tries to argue for his/her bona fide, you'll always find something odd. It diminishes you as a person too as one projecting, instead of thinking and talking about ideas, you become petty and judgmental about people. It diminishes the seeker too, being subjected to misgivings. My interactions on this forum have been limited, I didn't come here to make friends, gain followers, promote books, outsmart or impress someone. I am of the belief that most people here and elsewhere are fine and all round with their lives. It's just that perception can be misleading and damaging, if you don't correct it. I'm not here to outsmart anyone. As a seeker, I look around, listen and learn: ideas, topics, current matters, etc. Occasionally I quip, if I feel like it comes down my alley of thought and feel inspired, i.e. write something here and there. Otherwise, I mind my own business and go back to my essential stuff. This forum or any other group/social media is not one of the essential things in my life. You can't even have time to read everything, so much less to get involved, or center your life around it. Those who do that, maybe should re-evaluate their priorities. Getting unwanted attention is not productive, for me at least I have found. Browse, read, quip, and carry on with your life.

Now, dealing with a certain-minded group of people, along an idea, person or line of thinking - I understand there are some limitations. You don't want to be "rude" and make a splash or be a troll, you want to be considerate with others' beliefs no matter how different they than yours, you feel you can sort "wheat from the chaff", learn something useful and occasionally add some input or improve upon a discussion by adding your point of view. However, that's not always so easy. Author Mitch Horowitz has an article about the perils of becoming a target for close group thinking in mediums that create such sort of group manufactured intimacy or belonging such as Facebook groups or spiritual forums. If the reaction is negative off the start, tough luck! It's obviously a dead end. You can't argue with someone who's picking through your lines and calling you out for something that you're not - and getting applauses for it from his/her cronies disregarding the topic. So better move on, cease to argue, since there is no point. When someone for instance states that he refuses to read a book because he thinks the author may be "programmed" based on what Laura wrote somewhere about some authors unintentionally becoming programmed by the dark forces - that's a dead end, how can you argue with such a person or tulpa? It's the Dark Ages already and anachronism ground zero. Can't denounce that because of everybody's free will and thinking nd who are you to judge, can't argue with it either because there's no ground left. It's one thing to take insights and inspiration from an author, book, or channeling source as food for thought, but when that becomes a dogma and life truth to live by and distorting lens to subject everything to your narrow-mindedness - it's dangerous and sad.

My guiding thread in life has always been keep your eyes open, seek and learn from anyone and anything. If there is a conspiracy theory out there, it may have some grain of truth, or it's refreshing at least to see a different angle. If there is a philosophical, esoteric or extra-dimensional source check that out. But don't take anything as ultimate truth in your seeking path, keep yourself grounded, and don't lest yourself bullied or influenced by any folk who think and uncovered the source of evil in the world just because they have figured out the youtube, the internet and the copy/paste. You're more than just a passive receptor or a forum member or a listener or a cog programmed by elites and under constant threat of being subjugated by STS forces or reptilians. You're the protagonist (as in Tenet) on this earth and in this life. Any 'influencer' or entity out there in the Universe, inner or outer dimension - they're just spectators. Some good guides, other lousy or misintended. Times are a changin' now more than ever, the vibration on Earth is at its highest level ever, feel it and make use of it, we're on the cusp of a great era ahead of opportunities and it's important to be open-minded and positive. So long, and keep in touch. :-)

That's fairly rude and condescending. Us "enforcers with small town sheriff syndrome" are here for a reason. To keep the forum safe and as noise-free as possible. However, we are allergic to small-minded, egotistical people who think they are better than everyone else and don't need to be polite or follow certain forum customs or rules. Not that that is you.....I'm just sayin'....

Admin please clean up the thread or move this discussion elsewhere - this will be my last reply to this nonsense anyways.

Picking up on someone just because he or she doesn't abide to your conventions or align to your line of thought or because you feel like sensing a dissonance, be that on a public or private forum - is at your loss.

Our loss.....not at all. :-)
Despite what has been politely pointed out to you mbww regarding our forum etiquette, it seems you are at the wrong bar. :wrongbar:

mbww, there are certain house rules on the forum for a reason, to protect its members and to reduce noise. You have come here and refused to take part in step 1 of being on the forum. That's like walking into someone's house and refusing to remove your (cowboy) boots when asked, it's so rude and personally I wouldn't want you in my house walking from room to room, leaving muddy footprints all over the place. That is what you are doing here, and as the cowboys say: generally, you ain't learnin' nothin’ when your mouth's a-jawin'.

Had a chance to watch this documentary, and it's good enough if you want to see large impact craters on video and some meteorite collections. In terms of ideas and research, this forum is light years ahead in that regard, though I don't think the filmmakers even intended it to be some sort of objective research effort on the subject of fireballs in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom