Global IT Outage

Ant22

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I have a flight to catch in a bit and what I initially thought to be my airline’s internal issue looks like a much bigger problem. I’m actually beginning to wonder if I should fly today at all.

IT issues aren’t rare, but this seems to be quite unprecedented and affecting businesses across the globe.

With so much of the control system relying on technology to keep us in check I tend to think that it would be in the PTB’s best interest to keep it operational. Especially the internet. But I guess there may be forces out there that see it differently.

I guess the issue could simply be related to a provider with a global client network, so an issue on their end would obviously have global consequences. But large providers usually have some form of service fragmentation in place to prevent issues on this scale. I found it quite surprising, so I thought I’d post about it here.

A mass IT outage has caused chaos around the world, with major banks, media outlets and airlines among the victims.
Many flights have been grounded, with queues and delays at airports, while shops and communications have also been hit.
The cause is unknown, but Microsoft says it is taking "mitigation action" to deal with "the lingering impact" of the outage.
Australia's home affairs ministry and American Airlines have both said the outage appeared to be related to an issue at global cyber-security firm Crowdstrike.
Here is a summary of what we know so far.

What caused this?​

What precisely went wrong is still unclear.
However, a spokesperson for Australia's Home Affairs Minister said the outage appeared to be related to an issue at global cyber-security firm Crowdstrike.
Australia's National Cyber Security Coordinator described it as a "large-scale technical outage" and said there was no information to suggest it was an attack.
American Airlines, which is the world's biggest by passenger numbers, told the BBC the IT problems were because of a "technical issue with Crowdstrike that is impacting multiple carriers."
United Airlines told the BBC: "A third party software outage is impacting computer systems worldwide, including at United."
There have been reports suggesting that Crowdstrike, which produces antivirus software, issued a software update that caused Windows devices to crash.
Crowdstrike shares plunged as much as 14% in early trade, and Microsoft also declined, as did travel and leisure stocks, as the disruptions threaten the holiday season.
The BBC has approached Crowdstrike for comment but has not yet heard back.

What exactly is Crowdstrike?​

It's a reminder of the complexity of our modern digital infrastructure that Crowdstrike, a company that's not exactly a household name, can be at the heart of such worldwide disarray.
The US firm, based in Austin, Texas, is a listed company on the US stock exchange, featuring in both the S&P 500 and the high-tech Nasdaq indexes.
Like a lot of modern technology companies, it hasn't been around that long. It was founded a mere 13 years ago, but has grown to employ nearly 8,500 people.
As a provider of cyber-security services, it tends to get called in to deal with the aftermath of hack attacks.
It has been involved in investigations of several high-profile cyber-attacks, such as when Sony Pictures had its computer system hacked in 2014.
But this time, reportedly because of a flawed update to its software, a firm that is normally part of the solution to IT problems may instead have a role in their origin.

Who is affected?​

The problem emerged in a piecemeal fashion, with first reports coming out of Australia.
Payment systems went down at Australian stores including Woolworths, while financial institutions such as the National Australia Bank were also affected.
Then the issues spread to the US. The state of Alaska warned that its emergency services were affected, while several of the country's airlines - United, Delta and American Airlines - grounded their flights around the globe.
Australian carriers Virgin Australia and Jetstar also had to delay or cancel flights as departure screens went blank at Sydney airport.
Tokyo-Narita and Delhi airports said services had been affected. European airports reported that the outage was causing delays, with long queues reported at London's Stansted and Gatwick and Amsterdam's Schiphol.
Ryanair said it was experiencing "potential disruptions across the network", which it said were due to a third-party outage.
Broadcasters were also caught up in the chaos, including Sky News in the UK, which is off air.
As the full extent of the disruption became clear, more firms and institutions started reporting problems.
The London Stock Exchange said it was working as normal, but there were issues with its news service, used by companies to report market-sensitive information in a timely way.
Israel says 15 hospitals have switched to manual processes but this has not affected medical treatment. Ambulances are being told to take new cases to other hospitals.
And Poland’s largest container terminal, the Baltic Hub in the northern city of Gdansk, has said the outage is "hampering terminal operations" and has asked companies not to send containers to the port.
In the UK, railway companies have reported delays and said they were experiencing "widespread IT issues", while some doctors' surgeries in England reported issues with booking appointments.
The problems have extended to upmarket UK bakery chain Gail's, which has said it is currently unable to take in-store payments.

I have a flight to catch in a bit and what I initially thought to be my airline’s internal issue looks like a much bigger problem. I’m actually beginning to wonder if I should fly today at all.
Check the airlines website and see what they say. It appears to be effecting the admin systems (i.e. check-in, display screen etc).
If you have to travel, get there 2-3 hours before when you planned too - as it'll be chaos. I've flown when the IT systems have failed, and they'll do paper and pencil boarding procedures. Everything will be massively delayed.

Interesting timing given the assassination attempt on Trump. Are they testing the 'cyber pandemic' option - or would this be happening as part of a successful Trump assassination in order to add chaos?
Im at the airport as we speak so I can’t say I’m particularly excited to be delving into such musings :lol:

But the global aspect of it does make me wonder. Even if a service is delivered globally it doesn’t actually originate from all from the same point to be affected by a click of one button. I’m not an expert by any means, but I do know that much smaller providers take precautions to make sure not everything goes down at once in all locations, and even in the very unlikely event that it does it can be brought back up fairly quickly. So that’s still strange.

But the global aspect of it does make me wonder. Even if a service is delivered globally it doesn’t actually originate from all from the same point to be affected by a click of one button. I’m not an expert by any means, but I do know that much smaller providers take precautions to make sure not everything goes down at once in all locations, and even in the very unlikely event that it does it can be brought back up fairly quickly. So that’s still strange.

Apparently, the affected systems are all Windows running CrowdStrike's anti-badguy protection software. An update was issued, it crashed the Windows machines, they won't reboot. There may have also been an Azure cloud failure, which may or may not have been related.

This is what happens when everyone:
1. Runs everything in the Cloud
2. Uses US-provided "security" software on Windows

This is also why I will never use cloud-based servers. I want my own physical server, sitting in a datacenter, that I fully control - from OS install to software to end-user applications.

*Knocks on wood* (just in case) 🤭

Check the airlines website and see what they say. It appears to be effecting the admin systems (i.e. check-in, display screen etc).
If you have to travel, get there 2-3 hours before when you planned too - as it'll be chaos. I've flown when the IT systems have failed, and they'll do paper and pencil boarding procedures. Everything will be massively delayed.
I’m at the airport already and while I should be departing in 40 mins my flight check-in isn’t even open yet. Thanks for the heads up about the pen and pencil process, I assumed they just wouldn’t check people in so that helps. I’m bracing myself for a fun day for sure. Thing is, nearly all commercial flights are put on autopilot within minutes after take off, so hopefully the pilot is not be quadruple backed moron if he has to operate the plane.

Interestingly enough, I nearly missed the flight as I forgot my passport - which I NEVER do. I check obsessively 20 times if I have it whenever I travel. But today somehow I managed not to do that even once and my house mate ended up having to meet me halfway and give it to me. It’s rather hard not to wonder if that’s a sign I should rebook the flight, but then it’s more likely that an airhead moment is behind it :halo:

About the outage:

CrowdSrike is a cybersecurity platform that provides security solutions to users and businesses. Using a single sensor and unified threat interface with attack correlation across endpoints, workloads, and identity, Falcon Identity Threat Protection stops identity-driven breaches in real time.

It has been reported that the buggy update is caused by CrowdStrike’s Falcon Sensor to malfunction and conflict with the Windows system.

Well, that would do it. I’d be surprised they released a boo-boo like that if it wasn’t for the fact that I’ve seen quite a few of those recently.

Last edited:
This is what happens when everyone:
1. Runs everything in the Cloud
2. Uses US-provided "security" software on Windows

This is also why I will never use cloud-based servers. I want my own physical server, sitting in a datacenter, that I fully control - from OS install to software to end-user applications.
I’m with you on this one! I may just be a private user, but I like my stuff where I can see it. At east when the internet goes down I can still do some work.

From what I can see part of the reason why cloud storage is so popular among private users is due to the fact that a lot of SaaS companies do this little marketing trick now where they give customers 1-2TB of storage for as long as they use their services. People put everything on their cloud and then end up sticking to that provider because it’s too much hassle to move stuff elsewhere. Works like a charm, and with so much storage available for “free” few people store stuff not in the cloud.

Back
Top Bottom