Gluten-free Pizza Crust

Chu

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Tonight I made this crust as a test (for future birthdays or special occasions), and not only was it a 5 minute process, but it is super easy to work with the dough, and VERY close to the real thing!

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup warm water (between 110-120 degrees F)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 packet yeast (1/4 oz.) (or fresh yeast)
  • 2 cups (285g.) gluten-free flour blend (for this recipe I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1) (Or: 11/2 cup of white rice + 1/2 cup of potato starch + + 2 tsp guar gum. I reckon you can use pretty much anything you have, provided you have guar gum and a bit of tapioca or potato starch.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I would recommend using 1 1/1 tsp - ours could have been saltier.)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Instructions
  1. Set pizza stone or heavy baking sheet on lowest rack of oven, and preheat to 450°F.
  2. Mix water, sugar, and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it looks foamy.
  3. In electric mixer bowl, mix flour blend and salt. Add in egg, olive oil, vinegar, and yeast mixture.
  4. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. (I did all of this with a normal hand whisk, and it turned out just fine.)
  5. Using an oiled spatula, transfer the gluten-free pizza dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Using oiled hands, spread dough into a 10-12-inch round. (The nice thing is that you can work it very easily, it doesn't break like other gluten-free doughs do!)
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
  7. Add toppings and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
  8. Enjoy hot.
Notes

1. Working with or measuring gluten-free flour: spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour. The best method really is to weight it but I don't have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
  2. Yeast: This recipe works with active yeast and instant yeast.
  3. Oil: If you don't have olive oil you can use your oil of choice.
  4. Gluten-Free Flours: This recipe works with several types of gluten-free flour blends but we find that our homemade gluten-free flour blend and Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking flour work best in this recipe.
  5. Mix your own flour: If you want to mix your own blend for this pizza combine 1 cup white rice flour, 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca starch.

It made a nice medium sized pizza, and you can make it thin or thick depending on how much you spread it out. We're probably going to experiment some more, but so far it's a good recipe. For a non-dairy topping, you can use nutritional yeast. No, it's not the same as a nice melted cheese, BUT it adds a cheesy flavor and you avoid casein and lactose. :-D

Here is the link with pictures and more instructions:

Ours browned even nicer than that. I did what it says in the recipe, but used the grill function on the oven for the last 3-4 minutes.

Just made the pizza crust with toppings mozzarella, garlic, tomato base, shi itake, ham and rucola. Took less than 30 mins until ready to eat. Fast and delicious!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe Chu. I made my own gluten free flour from:

Same recipe (just double the ingredients), put it on a loaf pan, at you end up with this bread:

IMG_20200423_125910.jpg IMG_20200423_125920.jpgIMG_20200423_130007.jpg IMG_20200423_130018.jpg

I left the spelt flour out, and replaced it with half potato, half rice flour. For 3 loafs, that's ingredients x6. It toasts very well. Way cheaper than the store bought gluten-free bread!

Thanks for sharing. I looked for yeast at a couple of stores recently and they were all gone, of course, but I won't give up!

Same recipe (just double the ingredients), put it on a loaf pan, at you end up with this bread:

View attachment 35671 View attachment 35672View attachment 35673 View attachment 35674

I left the spelt flour out, and replaced it with half potato, half rice flour. For 3 loafs, that's ingredients x6. It toasts very well. Way cheaper than the store bought gluten-free bread!
Thank you Chu for sharing. Yesterday, I got Gluten-Free bread after lot of Guilt and hesitation( because I want to reduce some carbs). Now my guilt is gone. :-D

Thank you for this recipe!!! :flowers:

So basically, for bread you used 1 cup potato flour and 1 cup (white?) rice flour, all x6 for 3 breads?
Mixed all other ingreedients (as per recipe in first post) and just pour that in the loaf pan and in the owen?

The dough rised in the owen? I mean you didn´t put it to rise (there is yeast in recipe, so I have to ask.... :-[)

Reactions: Chu
So basically, for bread you used 1 cup potato flour and 1 cup (white?) rice flour, all x6 for 3 breads?

Yes, sort of. For one loaf:

1 cup potato flour
1 cup rice flour (you can do 1 1/2 as well)
4 tsp guar gum
3 tsp salt

yeast mix: 1 and a half cups of water, 1 cube (27gr) yeast, 2 Tbsp sugar

Then 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 tsp vinegar

Mixed all other ingreedients (as per recipe in first post) and just pour that in the loaf pan and in the owen?

Yes. Preheat the oven (250° C - 490°F). While the yeast activates in the sugary water, you get all the dry ingredients and mix them. Once the yeast is foamy, you add that plus the eggs, olive oil and vinegar to it, mix with a wooden spoon.

You pour the mix into an loaf pan (I usually use baking paper because it's easier to unmold). To spread it even, you can wet your hands, or use olive oil in your fingers and you'll see how easy it is to smooth out.

The dough rised in the owen? I mean you didn´t put it to rise (there is yeast in recipe, so I have to ask.... :-[)

It rises in the oven. But you can leave it to rise a bit longer before you put it in as well.
:flowers:

Yes, sort of. For one loaf:

Chu, thank you for sharing your recipe. Miss bread so much and hope it might help ( a little bit ) to gain a little bit of weight. Hope I can find the ingredients especially the guar gum. How long should it be in the oven ?

Tonight I made this crust as a test (for future birthdays or special occasions), and not only was it a 5 minute process, but it is super easy to work with the dough, and VERY close to the real thing!

It made a nice medium sized pizza, and you can make it thin or thick depending on how much you spread it out. We're probably going to experiment some more, but so far it's a good recipe. For a non-dairy topping, you can use nutritional yeast. No, it's not the same as a nice melted cheese, BUT it adds a cheesy flavor and you avoid casein and lactose. :-D

Here is the link with pictures and more instructions:

Ours browned even nicer than that. I did what it says in the recipe, but used the grill function on the oven for the last 3-4 minutes.
Chu please, what do you think about yeast, is it healthy ? Should I make my own yeast or buy it ? Is there a difference, I mean is it okay if I buy it somewhere regarding healthiness ? Thank you for the answer.

Chu please, what do you think about yeast, is it healthy ? Should I make my own yeast or buy it ? Is there a difference, I mean is it okay if I buy it somewhere regarding healthiness ? Thank you for the answer.

I don't know much about it, but I think there are some good ones available, and as long as you use it in moderation. Some have no additives, and last a long time. Just from a quick search, to give you an example: https://www.amazon.fr/nutritionnell...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Back
Top Bottom