Gluten-free Raspberry Mousse Bombe Dessert Cake

I'm one of those people that can't tolerate butter and its taste is repulsive to me. I have found that using lard works well in place of butter when making cakes. It has a similar consistency, and the taste is quite neutral.

Coconut oil doesn't work so well as it tends to become really hard when put in the fridge, which can make the filling or topping a bit too solid. However it is quite good option for shortcrust pastry. I made a couple of apple pies with it.

After reading Ollie's recipes, I also tried hemp milk and unfortunately had a negative reaction or at least I suspect it was the cause. Anyway, I didn't like it so for a milk substitute I stick to rice milk and occasionally coconut milk.

Here is a dairy and gluten free birthday cake I recently made with lard and rice milk:
View attachment 100902
I guess it turned out okay since it was well received also by family members, who are ignorant in their eating habits and prefer traditional cakes. They enjoyed it and rather didn't notice the difference in ingredients :)
Wow, thanks for that info! I had not thought of trying lard.
Could you share the recipe for that gorgeous birthday cake? Then I can get the hang of using lard and try some of Ollie’s recipes.

People who do not get on well with dairy, are OK with these Hemp milk and butter based fillings and toppings.
I'm not allergic but I don't tolerate any form of dairy: I react more or less depending on the product, and butter is on top of the "avoid" list, right after "transformed" dairy (such as Doritos if I want to feel like a truck rolled on me the day after eating them). The doctors only test for Lactose intolerance, but it's evident there's more to it than lactose in my case. I suspect the proteins and the fat content are problematic.
Maybe lard would be an interesting substitution as per Lukasz's suggestion!
Here is a dairy and gluten free birthday cake I recently made with lard and rice milk:
I second in wanting a copy of your recipe. That cake looks divine!

Could you share the recipe for that gorgeous birthday cake? Then I can get the hang of using lard and try some of Ollie’s recipes.
I second in wanting a copy of your recipe. That cake looks divine!
I'm happy you're interested in my cake :) The thing is, I hardly ever use recipes. I usually have an initial idea of a cake I want to make and just make it up as I go along, so I can't give you a detailed recipe like Ollie. Would you be okay with just a list of ingredients? I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact amounts I used for this one. Or, if you could wait a bit, I'm going to make another cake in mid-October so I could write down everything I do then and share with you. Let me know which you prefer.

I'm happy you're interested in my cake :) The thing is, I hardly ever use recipes. I usually have an initial idea of a cake I want to make and just make it up as I go along, so I can't give you a detailed recipe like Ollie. Would you be okay with just a list of ingredients? I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact amounts I used for this one. Or, if you could wait a bit, I'm going to make another cake in mid-October so I could write down everything I do then and share with you. Let me know which you prefer.
Bakery is all about chemistry, so in order to be able to succeed without a recipe, it means you have mastered the art and are a triple black belt chef! 😅 In my case, I should be fine with just the list of ingredients. Thanks!

In my case, I should be fine with just the list of ingredients. Thanks!
Yes I can manage with ingredient list and work it out from there also Thankyou @Lukasz
Here are the instructions based on what I remember.

The idea was to make a chocolate cake with raspberries. I started with a sponge cake as a base.

Ingredients: eggs, potato starch, rice flour, cocoa powder, cane sugar.

I probably used 6 eggs. For each egg I use a tablespoon of each flour and at the end I add cocoa powder until I'm satisfied with the color.

For the filling, I used gluten-free chocolate pudding, rice milk, cane sugar, lard, dark chocolate, and a little rum.

Sometimes, when I have more time, I use potato starch, tapioca starch, and cocoa instead of store-bought pudding.

First I heat the rice milk, add the sugar, rum and pudding. When the mixture thickens, I add lard and chocolate.

Now it's time to slice the sponge cake and moisten it. I used a mixture of water and honey or something like that, don't remember exactly.

When the filling has cooled a bit but isn't too solid, I place it on the cake. This particular cake had 3 layers of sponge and 2 layers of filling. When all the layers are done, I put the raspberries on top.

For a topping I used chocolate and lard. First I heat the lard, when it melts I add the chocolate and when it all melts and cools a little I pour it on the cake which is cold and makes the topping solid quickly.

Then the cake goes in the refrigerator for a night and it's ready to eat the next day.

That's it. I hope you will be able to use these instructions to successfully make your own chocolate lard cake. Let me know if you have any questions and if you try this recipe please share your creations :)

Wow, thanks for that info! I had not thought of trying lard.
I have used tallow for baking sweets. The texture is more moist than butter and some things just don’t go well with butter anyhow, like coconut. Also can use MCT and avocado oils in baking.

That's it. I hope you will be able to use these instructions to successfully make your own chocolate lard cake. Let me know if you have any questions and if you try this recipe please share your creations :)
Thanks a lot! I'm no triple black belt, so I still need to follow recipes, but I'm at a level where I can modify recipes to my taste. With your instructions, I'll be able to find a similar recipe online and modify it to look like what you described ☺️

Speaking of chocolate, I found out that adding a little bit of coffee and salt enhances the chocolate flavor in dessert to a level that I enjoy. Otherwise, I always found it was missing a little something.

gottathink
Oh this is fun an exciting, we might get a FOTCM allergen free chocolate and raspberry lard cake perfected here! In time for Joe’s birthday ?

Mousse bombe dessert cakes are very much my type of birthday cake, Joe usually prefers other delights for his birthday cake.

gottathink
@Ollie, do you have any advice to impart?

Have fun in the process of making your cake.

Back
Top Bottom