Glycerine Soap

Looking around the house today for jars or options for baking soda 'shampoo', I came across a glass salsa jar. If you have a glass jar (like an old pickle or salsa jar) its just the right size to mix up some baking soda and warm water to use on your hair. Mines a 16 oz (453 g) jar, and looks just right.

If you want to use the same jar for a vinegar rinse, just be sure all the baking soda is out of it first. ;)

I'm going to give this a try, and report back later. :D

Hi, everyone,

This has been a most informative thread. After reading it about a month ago, I went into the bathroom to check the ingredients on the shampoo and conditioner bottles (good quality stuff too, or so I thought; more than one brand and type, as I've always had 'problem' hair!) and they all contain the harmful chemicals as listed.

I'd already been using glycerine soap for a few months because I liked the smell. The brand I use is made in Turkey, and comes in three varieties: olive oil; sea minerals and chamomile. This thread encouraged me to try it on my hair instead of shampoo, and I chose the olive oil one. For a conditioner, I made a 'tea' in a small saucepan with a dessert-spoonful each of dried rosemary and dried sage (rosemary being good for dark hair is very old folk wisdom). The 'tea' turned out quite strong, but happily diluted into more than enough for two rinses. The strained leaves can be re-used a couple more times also. I thought, if this works, I'll post it.

Well, it has worked, more successfully than I could have imagined! After one month of this treatment, I have to say I'm absolutely astonished by how good my hair looks and feels. It has more 'body' and feels thicker. It's certainly healthier; it's stopped falling out! It's amazing! :D No more problem hair, and definitely no more shampoos or conditioners!

So a big thank you to all who posted their insights and suggestions, about the soap and the way to healthy hair tips. :flowers: I wish I'd had this info years ago. Thanks guys!

Has anyone used marseille soap or something similar (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille_soap _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azul_e_Branco_Soap).
I'm actually using Azul e Branco soap, which is a kind of offenbach soap, and so far can't say anything bad about it.

Hi Green Manalishi and everyone,

I've used Marseille soap (sometimes called Castille soap/shampoo) and it's not bad when it's actually natural (some supposedly Marseille soap are no better than your average supermarket soap) and when you use it sparingly. You can also use Alep soap if you find some. Here in Belgium, you can find it in natural shops. It's a popular gift from people coming back from Turkey, Egypt, etc. also.

For those interested in what's in the products that we use and eat (cosmetics, household/garden products and food) there is a great book called What's in this stuff by Pat Thomasabout which I posted a thread in the Books section of this forum (through my husband as I was not registered at the time): http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6403.0

It gives the lowdown on a lot of chemicals but also gives natural alternatives to replace them.

For those interested in not using shampoo, you can type No Poo in google and will find a lot of blogs, forums on the subject.
I have tried amla and shikakai powder with some success but my hair is really long and I missed a good lather. Natural shampoo have to be used with ACV (apple cidar vinegar) or they will leave a residue, especially if your hair has been chemically treated.

About hair colouring, for women wanting to colour their hair brown or black naturally (there is some concern about henna powder which are not red and of body quality), there is a great option: you can used body quality red henna and mix it with indigo. There is a great website by Catherine Cartwright Jones called _www.hennapage.com. and she explains a lot about that.
Should anybody be interested, I'll gladly explain the procedure.

About deodorant, there are a lot of people noticing that scrubbing the armpits (with a loofa, a sisal mitt, etc.) while NOT using soap nor deodorant rids them of B.O. while allowing sweating (important to get rid of toxins).

A great website to know more about all these chemicals is _www.ewg.org.
Hope this helps!

Hi Everyone and Thank You all for your excellent input :thup:

I was really confused about all these soaps and shampoos until I read all of this. Very informative to say the least! After much experimentation myself, I too am using Glycerine soap now and it has stopped my dry itchy skin after showering. The shampoo on the other hand was giving me a rough time. I had started using Johnson's baby shampoo with the assumption that if its gentle enough for an infant, it might not be too harsh on my scalp either. That worked for a little while but started to leave my hair very dry. Just recently Aveeno released a new shampoo and conditioner line that I'm currently using and my hair has never felt so soft. However after reading Ozrich's post, I realize now that the conditioner is just covering up the damage the shampoo is causing. I have thinning hair and could never really understand why because the rest of my family has a full head of hair including my parents! lol. I'm going to stick with the Glycerine soap for now and start using it on my hair as well. I'll be back with results down the road. Once again thank you all for your input ;)

Recently Dr. Mercola has been posting about our need for higher levels of Vitamin D than the current FDA standards. Low levels of Vitamin D now appear to be linked to higher cancer rates. Vitamin D is easy to get, but apparently if one washes within about 48 hrs of sun exposure, the amount of Vit D one's body makes goes down dramatically. High levels of Vit D also help fight flu and the cold according to Dr. Mercola. It is important to get Vit D3 (cholecalciferol) and not D2 which can be toxic to the body in large doses.

Here's a summary article from the Phillipine Star:
D truth about the sunshine vitamin
CONSUMERLINE By Ching M. Alano Updated May 19, 2009 12:00 AM

Photo is loading...
playgrounddesign.net

We all consider vitamin D as the sunshine vitamin. But did you know that only a portion of the solar spectrum has this beneficial effect? That’s D truth and nothing but.

We gather some enlightening bits of information on this burning topic from Medical Hypotheses. Since before 1940 — when World War II broke out, feel-good movies like Gone with the Wind were breaking box-office records, and nylon stockings were all the rage — malignant melanoma has been increasing exponentially in indoor workers. Believe it or not, the reason could be indoor exposure to UVA radiation. Unlike UVB, which is blocked by glass, UVA can pass through windows. It can cause cancerous mutations and can also break down the vitamin D formed in your skin after outdoor UVB exposure. Vitamin D is a potent defense against melanoma (malignant tumor).

Hear this: New research shows that increased UVA exposures and inadequately maintained cutaneous levels of vitamin D promote melanoma.

Sunshine can decrease your vitamin D levels?

Of course, health activist Dr. Joseph Mercola has said time and again that the ideal way to obtain your vitamin D is from safe exposure to sunshine. “As it turns out, there is a major caveat, which affects nearly anyone living in a modern day civilization.”

But before that, Mercola gives a refreshing take on the connection between sun exposure, vitamin D3, and showering. Yes, showering or bathing with soap after exposing yourself to the sun.

Here are some fast hot facts from Dr. Mercola: Vitamin D3 is formed when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from the sun (or a safe tanning bed). When UVB strikes the surface of your skin, your skin converts a cholesterol derivative in your skin into vitamin D3. However, the vitamin D3 that is formed on the surface of your skin does not immediately penetrate into your bloodstream. It actually needs to be absorbed from the surface of your skin into your bloodstream.

So, how long does it take the vitamin D3 to be absorbed by your skin and reach your bloodstream?

Answer: Nope, not an hour or two. New evidence shows it takes up to 48 hours before you absorb the majority of the vitamin D that was generated by exposing your skin to the sun — yes, all of two days! Which means that if you want to optimize your vitamin D level, you shouldn’t wash with soap for two full days after sun exposure lest you rinse away the vitamin D.

But can you really live without a bath for two days?

According to Mercola, you can use soap underneath your arms and groin area. But you’ll just have to avoid soaping up the larger areas of your body that were exposed to the sun.

How exactly does sunshine lower your vitamin D levels?

First, you must know the difference between the two primary forms of ultraviolet radiation from the sun: UVA, and UVB. They have different wave lengths and impact your body in different ways. To make a long story short, because the UVA has a longer wavelength, it penetrates materials more easily, such as the earth’s atmosphere and window glass.

But D truth is, a lot of us shun the sun like the plague — we’d rather stay indoors, in the comforts of our air-conditioned office, home, or our friendly neighborhood mall. D point here is that window glass in your office, home or car, for instance, will effectively filter out the majority of the beneficial UVB radiation, but it minimally filters out UVAs, which destroy vitamin D. In addition to destroying vitamin D3, UVAs also increase oxidative stress.

Mercola zeroes in on UVA as one of the primary culprits behind skin cancer. It increases photo aging of the skin. It’s also what causes you to tan.

He notes, “Normally, of course, when you get tanned from outdoor sun exposure, you’re getting both UVA and UVB at the same time, so it’s not a problem. But when you are indoors and expose yourself to sunlight filtered through window glass, you are increasing your risk of a variety of conditions, primarily skin cancer, because the UVAs are effectively destroying your vitamin D3 levels while you’re getting none of the benefits from UVB.”

And did you know that vitamin D is good for your skin? Mercola relates an anecdote about a prominent doctor in southern Florida, now in his mid-60s, who upped his dose of vitamin D to 10,000 units and noticed that his photo-aged skin, which had been exposed to the elements from windsurfing, had cleared. Now, his skin is simply D-vine!

So clearly, vitamin D can be very powerful against a number of skin problems, including skin cancer.

Now, that’s D-lightful news!

Dr. M has also made some videos that explore this more in depth.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

So washing up our entire body is counterproductive!

(edit: added bold in article)

This weekend I spent a lot of time making my own products for the first time. The first thing I made was cold process homemade soap made from beef tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil (infused with peppermint and lavender). Then I added some more peppermint and lavender herbs to the soap and it turned out looking and smelling pretty good. I just cut it into bars today and they're curing now so I don't know how the final product performs yet. I used the book Essentially Soap for a reference as well as watching youtube videos. It was a really fun project that will come in handy someday perhaps.

Next I made some laundry detergent using this recipe from you tube except I added a third of a bar of Fels Naptha soap. _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcCcC2FF7o&feature=related. I haven't done a load of laundry with it yet but I did wash some things out by hand (don't have a washer/dryer at home). I'll see how it turns out after they dry.

Then I made some homemade toothpaste using coconut oil infused with peppermint, baking soda, white oak bark powder and some tea tree oil. I still need to work on this formulation. There's too much baking soda for my taste. But it left my mouth feeling really clean...then it turned to a solid overnight. It was brown from the white oak bark powder but my teeth stayed white. :D

Then I made my own hair moisturizing cream using shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, cocoa butter and tea tree oil. It can be used as a skin moisturizer too, I suppose, but it seems a bit oily for skin.

I have used Dr. Bronner's castile bar soaps for awhile and they have worked great. All ingredients are organic and the company is certified fair trade. They have several different scents from different organic oils or there is an unscented one for sensitive skin. I also grate their bar soap and use it in my homemade clothes washing powder mixture, it works great as well!

Unless the humidity of air is over 65%, glycerin draws moisture from the lower layers of the skin and holds it on the surface, drying the skin from the inside out.

Interesting, I moved into an arid region, and my hands dried and cracked. Glycerin was the only moisturizer that actually helped. Lanolin, petrolatum, forget it! The real break in the case came when I slept with powderless latex gloves on. My problem turned out to be one of chronic de-hydration. I pounded the water until my hands healed, after 10 years (no glycerin), my hands have been fine. From this, our family at large has adopted a new tradition. If you open your hands to the morning sun and see glistening droplets of oil/moisture in the creases of your fingers, you might not be dehydrated. Try it on your kids! My sister found that two of them had moist hands at morning, the other two dry. (and oh, if you shake a really, really dry hand - that person might drink lots of alcohol!) FWIW

Odyssey said:
This weekend I spent a lot of time making my own products for the first time. The first thing I made was cold process homemade soap made from beef tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil (infused with peppermint and lavender). Then I added some more peppermint and lavender herbs to the soap and it turned out looking and smelling pretty good. I just cut it into bars today and they're curing now so I don't know how the final product performs yet. I used the book Essentially Soap for a reference as well as watching youtube videos. It was a really fun project that will come in handy someday perhaps.

Great work Odyssey! I love to make soap myself, something very satisfying about creating products yourself from scratch. Then you know for sure what's in them as well. I guess your soap will be cured in about 4 - 6 weeks, let us know how they turned out!! :clap: :clap:

That is a great idea, Odyssey. I may very well spend an afternoon during the kids' school break trying this out. If ours look good, they would make ideal Xmas presents too.

manitoban said:
Great work Odyssey! I love to make soap myself, something very satisfying about creating products yourself from scratch. Then you know for sure what's in them as well. I guess your soap will be cured in about 4 - 6 weeks, let us know how they turned out!! :clap: :clap:

cassandra said:
That is a great idea, Odyssey. I may very well spend an afternoon during the kids' school break trying this out. If ours look good, they would make ideal Xmas presents too.

It really is fun to experiment with this and I'm really motivated to make as much of my own products as I can. (Thank goodness for youtube. That site can be a really good resource to get demonstrations of all kinds of interesting things.) I'm already thinking of my next formulation but I'll wait until my first batch of soap is done. I will be giving a lot away as gifts.

Have fun with your experimentation, Cassandra.

Back
Top Bottom