Going to Italy

Break_The_Barriers

A Disturbance in the Force
So I will be leaving for Italy on Saturday for 6 weeks through a study abroad program. I would just like to ask if anyone knew of some worthwhile sites to visit during my stay?

Holy crap, this is like breaking into Fort Knox and asking if there is anything worth stealing... ;)

Pretty much anything is worth seeing, particularly Florence. In Rome would recommend going to the Vatican, Just Because. Regardless of your stance on Organized Religion, St. Peter's Basilica is a sight. See the museum too. Go to the coliseum and get your picture taken with the "Roman Legion" (who pose in leather skirts with you for 3 euro tips). I have not been, but any body I have talked to says to go explore Tuscany.

However, I have to add: I have been in a bunch of countries, and visited many cities. Of them all, Rome stand head and shoulders above the rest as simply the dirtiest place I have seen. One of the reasons for the litter is the complete absence of trash cans.

There are lots of small hillside towns in Umbria worth seeing, as well as in Tuscany, and if you go at the right time you can catch the Umbria jazz festival which is world famous. There's also a jazz festival in Perugia - a town famous for it's chocolate, which is a couple of hours north from Rome by car. Common tourist attractions are: Pompei - near Naples, Assisi - named after St Francis, Venice, Florence, and Rome (don't miss the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona). I've read a lot about Cinque Terre, which is a chain of small towns motor vehicle free on the northwest coast of the penninsula where the residents are making a huge effort to preserve the 'old way of life'. If you want pristine nature then head towards the Dolomites. Capri and Sardinia are said to have wonderful beaches and their own style of cuisine, and for upper crust cliffside beach resorts go to Amalfi.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Even with a 6 week stay it will be difficult to squeeze in everything worth seeing. Have fun!

Dunno if you will be in that area but Naples, and Lipari Islands further south are something not to be missed.

If you do go to Naples and decide to visit Pompei expirience will not be complete unless you visit Archeological Museum in Naples as most of the artefacts from Pompei are stored there.

Hi
The Villa Borghese in Rome is worth a look.

http://www.holidayinrome.com/history/villa_borghese.html

Surrounded by a massive park and there is a replica of Shakespeares globe theatre there with performances throughout the summer. I caught the italian version of Richard the third there. Didnt understand a word of course ,but knowing it in English helped.

A fine evening was had anyway.

Enjoy

I would agree with Deckard on Napoli. I went about three years ago on my own for 10 days and had a very emotionally powerful time. Of course that was very personal to me - i was writing a journal and felt i was 'finding myself'. Naples itself is quite a remarkable mix of filthy streets, cathedrals,thin roads that wind up into the castle at the top that overlooks the sea. I was particularly moved by the expression,"they say that once you go to naples you can die" - unknown to me at the time this was probably quite an esoteric experience for me and i certainly felt that it was true that i was shedding an old 'me'. Going up mount vesuveus was fun, and pompei was fascinating. I thought the winding sea roads around the sorento coast quite beautiful. I did start writing a book about my experiences but only got as far as observations about budget flying and ending up going to pescaro for less than the price of coffee at stansted. - if you ever have the misfortune of going there you will understand why it cost so little :)

rs said:
Holy crap, this is like breaking into Fort Knox and asking if there is anything worth stealing... ;)
LOL!

Tuscany (Florence) is indeed a must-see, in particular Siena and a drive/bike/walk through 'Le Crete'. One of the most lovely European landscapes, in my opinion.

din_siena.gif

Saluti! Hey BTB, where are you by now? There are so many places to visit ;-)

Thanks so much! Well be staying in Ferrara most of the time but have planned trips to venice, rome, bologna, and verona. But we have the weekends to our leisure so my wife and i plan on doing some independent traveling. Thanks again for the tips!

Hi, BTB, don't miss Il Palio di Siena, on the 2nd of July!
Edit: if you could dedicate one day, July, 2nd and visit Siena to see Il Palio...
RS said:
Holy crap, this is like breaking into Fort Knox and asking if there is anything worth stealing
who can sum it up better?

I am going to visit Italy for 10days in the end of this month. (first time in Europe!)
I will be appreciated for any suggestions, tips, or advice for the trip.

I am going to visit:Roma→Sienna→Firenze→Verona→Venezia→Milano
Thank you.

Aya said:
I am going to visit Italy for 10days in the end of this month. (first time in Europe!)
I will be appreciated for any suggestions, tips, or advice for the trip.

I am going to visit:Roma→Sienna→Firenze→Verona→Venezia→Milano
Thank you.

I lived in Milano for awhile, the first time I was shocked to see how ugly it was. It is pretty industrial. Then it grew on me, but I think that for visiting purposes, you'll be most pleased if you stay only in the touristic areas: Duomo di Milano, perhaps Castello Sforzesco. If you have a chance, see The Last Supper from Leonardo da Vinci, it is located in Covent Santa Maria delle Grazie. You have to make an appointment in order to see it, at least with one week of anticipation as there is usually lots of people all year round. Once inside you only have 15 minutes to see it, but I think its worth it if you are already visiting Milan. It is really impressive. I still find it interesting that the Refectory was bombed in 1942, but the section where the Last Supper was not harmed. If you have time, you can visit the big lakes of the north: Lake of Como, Lake of Garda. They are like an hour away by train from Milan. In Summer, they are truly some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. If you are fond of opera or ballet, you can do that in Verona (Arena di Verona) or Milano (Teatro alla Scala), to get a cheap place you'll have to get a reservation with advance.

If you get good maps of the metro (usually at the tourist offices), you can visit all the places at a very economical rate with the public transport system. You can pay daily tickets that includes unlimited use of: trams, metro, buses. The maps will have suggested places to visit. Venezia has the same option, only that it is "public boat" instead of a train :P

All the cities are very beautiful and unique, but you'll probably need more time in Firenze and Roma, as they have quite a lot to offer. 1 day should suffice to visit Milan. I hope you have a nice trip.

My 2 cents.

Hello Break: Northern section along the arm pit and coastal ares are a Gem. Liguria Territory:

Liguria, facing the Tyrrhenian Sea, forms an imposing arc, with the Gulf of Genoa in its center. It is a mountainous and hilly region, which includes part of the Maritime Alps and the Ligurian Apennines, whose the spurs plunge almost everywhere into the sea, leaving scant space to the plains, which form a narrow coastline. Here landscapes of great beauty can be admired. The region is divided in two sections: the Riviera di Ponente (to the west), from Ventimiglia to Genoa, and the Riviera di Levante (to the east), from Genoa to La Spezia. The terminal strip of the Riviera di Levante is known as “Le Cinque Terre” (the Five Lands) and still today represents a beautiful example of intact landscape.
Cities: The regional capital is Genoa. Other important cities are: Imperia, Savona and La Spezia.
Thus the area offers much in access with the trains being a good way to travel if your on a budget . You will find the museum's gallery's Churches (if you like architecture) as well as the world renown wines and foods of the north differs from the south. If you travel by train or bus be cautious of the leaving the municipals transit systems. As with any big city for the movment pick pockets. I would always lay back and let the rush crowd go a head of me before existing a bus or train.
Also bump and run diversions are common as means to distact you. As there may be two people working in conjunction to steal what ever..
Other than that people were warm friendly and very proud of the heritage and it helps to know a little of the language, common words and phrases to to get through the country. It will make a huge difference in your experience. Good luck and be safe of your surroundings : www.turismoinliguria.it oh yeah almost forgot the pizza the best in all the world! :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom