Google privacy for members of the Forum and SOTT

adam7117

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
I have recently noticed that the Cassiopaea Forum and the SOTT members' user names are searchable in Google. The search results return pointers to the "What's New"section of the forum and the reader comments created under SOTT articles. In fact, Google appears to be indexing all of the forum articles.

In the current environment, I wonder whether this is consistent with the strategic enclosure and the external considering principles. Is there a way to dial down this visibility and ensure that our reader comments and the forum references remain invisible to Google?

:rockon:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that and if people are searching for answers and Google leads them to the forum or SoTT, all the better! Why do Google's job of censoring us for them? As with all online interactions, it considered good practice to be careful in what and how one shares things in public areas if they are concerned about reprecussions. That's why the Swamp and and member only areas exists so that people can share things of a more sensitive nature, osit.

We no longer use Google Analytics on either the forum or SOTT, which makes their tracking of users far less effective. Originally, that was a trade-off of privacy vs. increased exposure in Google search results. But lately, that benefit seems to have been turned into a drawback where it seemed to me that the more users read something, the less likely it was to appear in Google search results.

But the short answer is: Anything publicly accessible on the internet is crawled by Google. There is no effective way to prevent that from happening.

Besides, one of the key aims in everything we do is actively sharing information to as wide an audience as possible. Locking everything down to prevent Google from seeing it would effectively destroy that aim.

This forum is just for show. Everyone knows the real reptilian brains behind the SOTT conspiracy takes place on the dark web. There a bunch of tech-savy grays and lizzies sit at their tenacle-controlled consules feeding stories from the dark lord Jordan B. Peterson to willful hosts and front men of SOTT radio. Few know that the B in Jordan B. Peterson stands for Boötes, the constellation that houses the lizzie civilization. That's right. Jordan Boötes Peterson is the dark lord of the lizzies. I'm sure the moderators will delete this scoop.

This forum is just for show. Everyone knows the real reptilian brains behind the SOTT conspiracy takes place on the dark web. There a bunch of tech-savy grays and lizzies sit at their tenacle-controlled consules feeding stories from the dark lord Jordan B. Peterson to willful hosts and front men of SOTT radio. Few know that the B in Jordan B. Peterson stands for Boötes, the constellation that houses the lizzie civilization. That's right. Jordan Boötes Peterson is the dark lord of the lizzies. I'm sure the moderators will delete this scoop.

Well, that certainly made me chuckle. Keep the jokes coming, I say!

Is there a way to dial down this visibility and ensure that our reader comments and the forum references remain invisible to Google?

Like Scottie says, there's no way to stop Google from scraping the forum. On top of what fabric wrote, I'd suggest that if that's something you are worried about, use a name/avatar that won't be identifiable.

Like Scottie says, there's no way to stop Google from scraping the forum. On top of what fabric wrote, I'd suggest that if that's something you are worried about, use a name/avatar that won't be identifiable.

Hi Beau, thanks for the response - it is a good suggestion to keep in mind. Not something I am currently considering, though.

Scottie talks of effectively destroying the aim by preventing Google from indexing the Forum and the SOTT web pages. Two months ago, I would have agreed. Today, I wonder how the world is going to change within the next year or two. And whether the circumstances will necessitate such a move.

Either way, just for the record here - Google itself provides a solution. It is possible to become invisible within search results:

Block search indexing with 'noindex'

You can prevent a page from appearing in Google Search by including a noindex meta tag in the page's HTML code, or by returning a 'noindex' header in the HTTP request. When Googlebot next crawls that page and sees the tag or header, Googlebot will drop that page entirely from Google Search results, regardless of whether other sites link to it.

Important! For the noindex directive to be effective, the page must not be blocked by a robots.txt file. If the page is blocked by a robots.txt file, the crawler will never see the noindex directive, and the page can still appear in search results, for example if other pages link to it.

Using noindex is useful if you don't have root access to your server, as it allows you to control access to your site on a page-by-page basis.

Either way, just for the record here - Google itself provides a solution. It is possible to become invisible within search results:

That makes pages not appear in the search index (theoretically), but it doesn't prevent them from hoovering up the data anyway.

You have to remember that Google began as a PhD thesis funded by DARPA, and the alphabet soup groups have had a "back room" at Google ever since. Information appearing in public searches is the least of anyone's worries.

You know, I was sitting here thinking, do I need the sarcasm tag.
Yes wmu9, I think your gallows humour might have got slightly lost in translation. Sometimes language differences can also mean you'll get taken seriously! Maybe use some of the smilies next time to give a hint where you're really coming from. But thanks, you made me laugh. B for Boötes! That's deep Mr Paris, deep! :-D

Yes wmu9, I think your gallows humour might have got slightly lost in translation. Sometimes language differences can also mean you'll get taken seriously! Maybe use some of the smilies next time to give a hint where you're really coming from. But thanks, you made me laugh. B for Boötes! That's deep Mr Paris, deep! :-D

So many downvotes, the board software quarantined me. Talk about social contagion.

That makes pages not appear in the search index (theoretically), but it doesn't prevent them from hoovering up the data anyway.

You have to remember that Google began as a PhD thesis funded by DARPA, and the alphabet soup groups have had a "back room" at Google ever since. Information appearing in public searches is the least of anyone's worries.

Hello Scottie, I understand. That is a good way of looking at it and I appreciate your response.

Guess, we just carry on and roll with the punches then. Warm regards. 👍

I suggest using google only so you can make "anonymous" comments on youtube videos 😁 The point being using it so its anything but a tool for the PTBs.
Otherwise you end up supporting tools for globalization.

Back
Top Bottom