Gore Says Cigarette Smoking adding to Global Warming.

J

Joshua

http://drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

GORE: CIGARETTE SMOKING 'SIGNIFICANT' CONTRIBUTOR TO GLOBAL WARMING
Fri Sep 29 2006 09:04:05 ET

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore warned hundreds of U.N. diplomats and staff on Thursday evening about the perils of climate change, claiming: Cigarette smoking is a "significant contributor to global warming!"

Gore, who was introduced by Secretary-General Kofi Annan, said the world faces a "full-scale climate emergency that threatens the future of civilization on earth."

Gore showed computer-generated projections of ocean water rushing in to submerge the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, parts of China, India and other nations, should ice shelves in Antarctica or Greenland melt and slip into the sea.

"The planet itself will do nicely, thank you very much what is at risk is human civilization," Gore said. After a series of Q& A with the audience, which had little to do with global warming and more about his political future, Annan bid "adios" to Gore.

Then, Gore had his staff opened a stack of cardboard boxes to begin selling his new book, "An Inconvenient Truth, The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It," $19.95, to the U.N. diplomats.

Developing...
The absurdity of the Modern World never ceases to amaze...

It's sad - cos it's hilarious...
I think only "serial" point of reference when Mr. Gore's name is mentioned should be the South Park Episode - Manbearpig :)

It sure is absurd, but when a prominant figure says it, it becomes true!!

lol, it is kinda funny.

jamie

Funny I never hear old (Now that I have no tangible power, I want to start changing the world) Al Gore mention the absolutely DEVASTATING environmental impact of worldwide warfare.
I guess there are some feeding hands he's just not willing to bite.
Well anyway, half hearted kudos to him for his 11th hour awakenings about global warming but picking on smokers is just such the easy target these days.

He had his chance in the sun to be a hero when he had a seat of power and all he did was perpetuate the status quo.
I'm a little torn on the topic of Mr. Gore.
While sure, you shouldn't live in the past and hold grudges I resent him preaching now when he had a position to actually do something - yet, better late than never.
If he really wants to get personal he has so many other individual vices to pick at:
Inefficient homes, vehicles, businesses, public venues, eating habits that promote massive waste, etc.,etc.
Why doesn't he start bitching about the massive global deforestation to make way for billions of steak, burger and milk giving greenhouse gas farting cows?

(Don't get me wrong I love cows and do not eat their flesh or drink their baby food) but has Al seen what goes on with South American rainforest to make way for my cud-chewing friends?
Maybe I should not talk because I have not seen his movie or purchased his book.
Maybe he did mention these things...?

More evidence that the absurdity of the absurd statements made by those in power is becoming more acute. This is funny because it is so ridiculous, but also not funny because some people unquestioningly accept such statements as facts. "Significant" contributor to global warming?? I wonder if anyone burst out laughing upon hearing this?

Justin said:
I wonder if anyone burst out laughing upon hearing this?
I did after getting mad first, then resigned to this 'Sign' of our times. While this shit is 'funny',
it's really not, because of the reason you 'sight'-people taking this kind of thing as fact, much
like all the global warming bullshit.

The main reason it's not funny is that it's going to get worse and with higher stakes.

Step by step, until... I don't know what, as I still am not crystal clear on the endgame in all this encroaching fascism.

manbearpig1he9.jpg

manbearpig is a serious treat to humanity :)

I wonder if Mr. Gore plans on doing a study to see how "out gassing" and "thermal emissions" of expelled air from politicians are affecting the environment?

I just watched the film. Echoing Youngfox's point, it's true, he manages not to mention that the US military is the world's single biggest fossil fuel customer, or maybe it's Russia's military, or China's. Regardless, in his tips on what you can do to be part of the solution, he fails to mention, STOP MAKING WAR. About the smoking thing, I think he's just bitter because he blames smoking for his sister's death.

Here's a funny anecdote. I was in fourth grade, I think, nine or ten years old, and the teacher asked the class what we could do to reduce worldwide air pollution. Kids came up with the usual things like, "drive less" and "fewer factories." One kid who was called on scrambled for an answer and said, "ah ... get people to stop smoking?" The teacher simply accepted this and moved on, rightfully so. I remember thinking the answer was not in the same league as the other suggestions, and, since then, I've never heard such a juvenile suggestion again, until Al Gore.

I just happened to watch this as well recently - and, boy oh boy, does Al avoid the government's role in this - and, of course, the war's role as well. He tries to get the message across that we can each make a difference - well, we could, if the corporations that own us decided it was in their best interests to do something about it.

I also noticed that he looked at the floor and scratched his nose at only two points in the film - one: when he brought up Hurricane Katrina (again didn't mention the government's clear role in that disaster) and, two: when he mentioned 9-11 - very interesting to watch.

He also spent a good third of the film talking about his childhood - it was like an Al Gore campaign ad. He is very bitter about his sister's death (or comes across that way) - and waves that anti-smoking flag as strenuously as he waves the 'don't notice the huge factors in this equation that I am not bringing up' flag.

He did make some interesting points, but it was very clear who he really works for - and it sure ain't the average human being. All in all, it is a film for a sleeping audience that guides that audience away from the real polluters, while pointing out that all is not well - and extrapolating these events into the future without ever really making the point that there is no way the system will get that far without complete breakdown - like, "this is what is happening to the planet, but don't worry, you won't die - only people over there will die".

So, yeah - I was glad I watched it just for the edification on what passes for environmental activism these days, but the holes in it are huge.

Thanks for the reviews. i have a friend who's been bugging me that i HAVE to watch this environment documentary by Al Gore! Now i know and won't waste my time.

Back
Top Bottom