growing tobacco. 1st time.

SlavaOn

Jedi Master
Hello.

My new hugel-kultur garden had a 1st crop of cucumbers, tomatoes and tobacco.
It was hard to grow seedlings since tobacco seeds are like gun powder - tiny teeny. I sprinkled them on top of soil in seed starter trays and grew in a hot house to 1-2" height first. Although, I was late to transplant them to the open soil (early June) they are doing good now. I started harvesting the bottom leaves and dry them on clothes wire hangers. The plants will probably grow until late October, even November - when a first frost could be expected in Northern Virginia. Then, I will need to experiment with the curing and fermenting process....

This variety is called Louisiana Perique - good for pipe and cigar smoking. There will be a plenty of seeds for the next season. If someone is interested I can trade them for other seeds, or just send for free, if you cover the postage.

Slava

IMG_0268.JPG

There will be a plenty of seeds for the next season. If someone is interested I can trade them for other seeds, or just send for free, if you cover the postage.
I would be interested, but there might be a little snag.

Sharing our mailing addresses with each other might be against forum policy, or discouraged. But maybe someone who is well trusted could handle the receiving and sending of seeds?

Maybe it is what the "personal messages" are for! Can moderators throw some light on that, please?

I bet consuming caterpillars (or butterflies) that feasted on tobacco would be 1000x more effective than smoking the dried leaves :P

SlavaOn

sharedalbum

That would be the fearsome tobacco horn worm. (shudder)
Let me know if it tastes like shrimp.

Attachments

• t-hrnwrm.jpg
    t-hrnwrm.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 57
I would love some seeds! I'm a newbie, so can't send a PM. Maybe soon.

My 2nd tobacco season produced well. I have more tobacco seeds to give away.
PM me with your address if you want them. It will cost you 1st class post stamp in the US, international mailing rate will vary.

SlavaOn

Back
Top Bottom