Health Benefits of Glycine

mugatea said:
I suffer from anxiety/ocd and suffer from trich (hair pulling) my bro is schizophrenic/alcoholic and my mind is intense and non stop, I also have trouble focusing and sleeping all night long so I'm very interested in this Glycin.

Jamie

I have OCD too. I take one GABA 750mg and one 200mg timed release 5 HTP a day. I notice the GABA seems to help more than the 5 HTP, this being noticed when I forget to take it. I've also recently made an effort to drink green tea (which although has caffeine, has calming theanine too), and chamomile which is supposed to help with anxiety. These all seem to keep me at an acceptable level.

Interesting that pork rinds are 12% glycine. I've been eating them more, and it's usually about 25-40g. So I get 3-4.8g per meal. And I eat a bowl of bone broth (75-100g) every day. If it is so that those amino acids are best taken as a complex, then it may be a good idea to put gelatin into your tea. I might try that, or just getting the glycine powder.

As Laura mentioned it is very sweet. I took 2 tablets (2 grams) last night, didnt sleep well, did dream loads but I was very anxious and stressed this morning so emptied two tabs under my tongue as Glycine can be used to help anxiety but it didnt seem to do much. But last night I also took a htp-5/st johns wort combo so maybe an interaction has happened but online I couldn't find anything about that. So tonight I will try the Glycine on it's own and see what happens.

3D Student said:
mugatea said:
I suffer from anxiety/ocd and suffer from trich (hair pulling) my bro is schizophrenic/alcoholic and my mind is intense and non stop, I also have trouble focusing and sleeping all night long so I'm very interested in this Glycin.

Jamie

I have OCD too. I take one GABA 750mg and one 200mg timed release 5 HTP a day. I notice the GABA seems to help more than the 5 HTP, this being noticed when I forget to take it. I've also recently made an effort to drink green tea (which although has caffeine, has calming theanine too), and chamomile which is supposed to help with anxiety. These all seem to keep me at an acceptable level.

Interesting that pork rinds are 12% glycine. I've been eating them more, and it's usually about 25-40g. So I get 3-4.8g per meal. And I eat a bowl of bone broth (75-100g) every day. If it is so that those amino acids are best taken as a complex, then it may be a good idea to put gelatin into your tea. I might try that, or just getting the glycine powder.

Thanks 3D Student, just saw this as it was on page 2. I will look into Gaba right now. Thanks.

*EDIT Just bought some Gaba online, thanks 3DS,

There's also this article on Glycine on SOTT: http://www.sott.net/article/297975-Glycine-Improving-sleep-quality

Some excerpts:
Glycine is a small, nonessential amino acid. It is relatively ubiquitous in our muscle tissue and skin, and it plays an important role in the regulation and support of many critical pathways. Previously considered to be biologically inert, unexpected findings in a study using glycine as a placebo to investigate the function of other amino acids on the brain led to a study on the effects of glycine on human sleep quality and patterns.[5]

Comment: Glycine is classified as "nonessential" because the body can produce it, however it may be more accurate to classify it as "conditionally essential", meaning that if a person has impaired health, they won't be able to synthesize enough for their needs.

An alternative perspective could be that it's so essential to the body that, like cholesterol, the body can synthesize it in the absence of dietary intake, but functions dramatically better with it included in the diet.

Glycine undergoes passive diffusion through the blood-brain barrier and acts primarily on N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDA).[5] Its actions on the NMDA receptor are believed responsible for inhibiting muscle activity during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep,[6] and for lowering core body temperature to facilitate sleep.[7, 8] Oral glycine administration also increases serotonin levels without increasing dopamine levels [5] to help normalize circadian rhythms.

In addition to helping objectively normalize the physiology of sleep,[8] oral glycine supplementation ameliorates the subjective symptoms of sleep deprivation.[9] On testing, subjects report improved sleep satisfaction and decreased daytime sleepiness and cognitive impairment.[2, 9]

A pinch of glycine powder under the tongue can give immediate relief from "spinning thoughts" or over-thinking, which is a common complaint among insomniac patients and contributes to difficult sleep onset.[9] Indeed, oral glycine powder at bedtime ameliorates all subjective symptoms of sleep deprivation, from morning fatigue to eye strain and feelings of unease and difficulty concentrating, as well as improving memory recognition.[10, 11]
Glycine and Mental Health

Glycine — this smallest and simplest of amino acids was first thought to be inert in its effects on physiology.[6] But study in recent years shows this little molecule to be a powerhouse! We have already discussed the impact of glycine on normalizing sleep by acting on the NMDA receptors.[12, 13, 14, 15] Through the same mechanism, oral glycine supplementation also helps normalize the brain chemistry of addiction and prevent relapse.

Glycine is critically involved in regulating ethanol (alcohol) consumption.[13] Elevating concentrations of glycine in the signalling junction between neurons has consistently been demonstrated to reduce alcohol intake,[13] and inhibit drug-seeking for cocaine and amphetamines.[14, 15] The mechanism of these effects is still poorly understood, but evidence suggests that increased glycine levels also attenuate the effects of amphetamines on the brain.[14]
We do know, however, that changes to glycine levels in the brain correspond with improved attention, memory, impulsivity, emotional memory, and intellectual learning memory.
Glycine's therapeutic uses to treat addictions go yet a step further. There is evidence that supplemental glycine helps reduce liver toxicity from chronic alcohol consumption and expedites recovery from alcohol-induced liver injury.
Since the late 1980s, there has been an understanding that glycine therapy is useful to treat negative symptoms of schizophrenia, such as depression and loss of mental fluency or flexibility.[24] Recent double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials consistently support the conclusions that adding oral glycine to the pharmacologic protocols markedly improves negative symptoms and cognitive troubles, and may even improve psychotic symptoms in some cases.
Examining regulation of NMDA receptors and amino-acid balance has led to potential implications with respect to ADHD and autism,[31] and greater understanding of the neurochemistry of posttraumatic stress disorder and Parkinson's.
Ischemia (loss of blood supply) is a major cause of death in trauma, surgery, and organ replacement. Glycine significantly reduces tissue damage and loss in these cases, though the mechanism is not fully understood. What is clear is that glycine has direct cell-protective effects.[35] It protects against the damage of the inflammatory response, which is triggered as bloodflow returns to ischemic areas (ischemic reperfusion injury).[35, 36] These cell-protective and anti-inflammatory effects are not limited to tissue trauma due to ischemia. In fact, the anti-inflammatory benefits of glycine have been applied to the prevention and treatment of other inflammatory conditions.

Inflammation is the primary mechanism in arthritis. Animal studies indicate that oral glycine supplementation can mitigate this inflammatory process,[5] and mechanistic study suggests these effects have multiple potential therapeutic applications in humans as well.[37, 38] Conditions such as ulcerative colitis,[39] inflammatory pain,[40] muscle wasting in cancer,[41] and even inflammatory contributors to obesity [42, 43, 44] show improvement with glycine supplementation.

The safety of glycine supplementation has been clearly established. Surgeons routinely utilize an irrigation solution of glycine during procedures, delivering relatively high-dose glycine without adverse effects. Clinical trials have investigated oral glycine supplementation in humans quite thoroughly, indicating that long-term oral doses of 31 g/d [44] and 50 g/d [5] yield no adverse events. Short-term studies of 200 mg/kg daily of IV glycine also yielded no adverse effects.[5] While more study is required to fully elucidate the full breadth and potential of therapeutic glycine, the mounting body of evidence is certainly exciting.

Promising stuff regarding sleep problems and their symptoms. I too have OCD, lol. I eat pork rinds from time to time. I have poor mental energy. I have difficulty to concentrate myself, it gives me stress, with all the orders in the mind judging my actions, i am always lacking of confidence and it blows my energy. I call this part of me, Maleficus, because it's like somebody giving me order and telling me that actions i make will have an impact on the reality, on me. I slept between 6:30-7 hours yesterday. But I feel sleepy like i did not sleep. I woke up with an uneasiness. As it regulates sleep patterns, i'll buy this. But, as i didn't notice any change while eating pork rinds (even if i ate 100g), and as it has 12g of glycine in 100g of it, taking 3 grams of it at the evening as recommended in the article should not be enough. Maybe we should take it regularly and wait to obtain so good effects? In the article is says that taking this powder makes direct changes on the symptoms of sleep deprivation, so, i don't know. I'll buy it. I take GABA too. 750mg twice per day. Well, peace.

I hope it will have a good effect on my depression due to my OCD, that it will calm down mind mental chattering.

Peace.

Laura said:
Another post about it here: _http://www.diethealthclub.com/dietary-supplements/glycine.html

In a study on the use of glycine for anxiety, injections containing glycine were administered to the gray matter of the brain in animal subjects. The results showed reduced anxiety levels. In another study, adults who received glycine doses daily showed an improvement in symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder, an anxiety-related disorder.

Side Effects Of Glycine

Like any other supplement, glycine too may trigger certain side effects. Some of the side effects which are often reported after intake of glycine supplements include nausea, vomiting, slight drowsiness and mild digestive problems. Some of the less common side effects which are, however, more serious include aggravation of schizophrenia symptoms especially if glycine is taken along with certain other schizophrenia medications and symptoms of an allergy such as wheezing, skin rash, itching, swelling of the mouth, swallowing difficulties and problems in breathing.

I take neuroleptics. I do a withdrawal. Tapering the dosage by 10% every 3 weeks. Then, i'll taper by 5% once at the 50% will be reach. I am not a schizophrenic, i am a schizoid with OCD (it's related), sleep problems, chronic fatigue and a kind of depression (with cognitive distorsion).

Well, see you.

Notice that the recommended protocol is 5 grams 3 times per day. That's about a level teaspoon. I just put it in my tea as a sweetener for three cups a day.

Laura said:
Notice that the recommended protocol is 5 grams 3 times per day. That's about a level teaspoon. I just put it in my tea as a sweetener for three cups a day.

Oh, i thought that this dosage was for something else. :)

I took glycine for a few weeks at about 3g twice a day in my tea. It helped with sleep and I could get a few hours and still wake up refreshed. Though the lack of sleep was still felt underneath, so to say. It didn't help with my OCD any.

I am looking into inositol powder. But being a sugar alcohol and having to take up to 18g to work (about 3.5 tsp), it will add 14g of carbs to the day. So I'd have to cut out xylitol, as I put that on my food sometimes. They say it's good to take 200-1000mg of choline along with it too. This page was helpful:

http://www.raysahelian.com/inositol.html

3D Student said:
I took glycine for a few weeks at about 3g twice a day in my tea. It helped with sleep and I could get a few hours and still wake up refreshed. Though the lack of sleep was still felt underneath, so to say. It didn't help with my OCD any.

I am looking into inositol powder. But being a sugar alcohol and having to take up to 18g to work (about 3.5 tsp), it will add 14g of carbs to the day. So I'd have to cut out xylitol, as I put that on my food sometimes. They say it's good to take 200-1000mg of choline along with it too. This page was helpful:

You really need to continue the glycine for a few months to realize the benefits. Also, combined with iodine therapy, your OCD and sleep issues might clear up pronto.

My
Laura said:
3D Student said:

You really need to continue the glycine for a few months to realize the benefits. Also, combined with iodine therapy, your OCD and sleep issues might clear up pronto.

Yeah, "i" think that we have to be patient. I don't take glycine for now (i'll buy it tomorrow). We have to be patient, take things and wait. We can discourage ourselves but we have to try. There are ameliorations. Sport is good too. I try to drink water too. I see that it purificate my body. I take Tilia Tomentosa since months. God, it really helps me to sleep. I was bad the days before, and believe what, i didn't have Tilia left. :)

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that TTBEs mimics GABA and BDZ agonists by targeting hippocampal GABAergic synapses and inhibiting network excitability by increasing the strength of inhibitory synaptic outputs. Our results contribute toward the validation of TTBEs as effective sedative and anxiolytic compound.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26144285

Tilia (Tilia tomentosa) is the bud of the sleep devastated by sleeping pills. It rehabilitate the sleep, taken throughout several months. It is also the buds of Tilia that will help to withdrawal progressively from all these drugs by re-educating his sleep.
Jean Pierre Willem

A little update about this topic.
I am taking glycine since this summer after to have read this thread posted by Laura. In the beginning, it was for his anti-inflammatory effect i was interested ; his effects on intestine too and for a possible effect on the weight training. However, I didn’t expect the most spectacular effect this amino-acid had on me : the quasi-complete disappearing of the « ketogenic diet diarrrea curse ».

Since 2011, i oscillate between keto and paleo diet, because full keto is a nightmare for me and my gallblader, to say the least ( 1,2,3,4 times to the bathroom after each meal with incredible tiredness all the day ).
Of course, i tried many things : high dose of ox-bile, of lipase, of others enzymes, of differents vitamines, of hcl, plants, naturals remedies, different fat, different time to eat, different cooking, etc. Strictly nothing worked, except, a little, with schussler salt therapy.

I must report, strangely, that the fat, excepted for the beginningof the keto diet, had never satisfied me anymore : i could eat a block of butter with nearly no satiety ! As if a receptor of the repletion was missing. So, it was simple : i had to go on the paleo-diet. In theory.

In practice, i discovered that i was certainly suffer of IBS, because vegetables had transformed my belly in a warzone.

The equation is the following : i can’t eat normal quantity of fat to take advantage of the keto-diet ; I can’t take advantage of the paleo because i can’t bear vegetables (i can’t neither reasonably consume very high quantityof meat or fish, wich it could be the solution to calm the hunger, but certainly not for a good health in the long-term). So, i spent recent years to be constantly hungry, dreaming to the next meal even if i had just finished the precedent one. It is annoying because it takes from you a part of your thoughts and energy in each moment. Until the glycine.

It stopped, like i said, diarrhea, even if try to eat more fat. I was so surprised that i searched on the net and in the papers of NCBI, i found confirmation that glycine could improve correct absorption of fat : it really does.
I noticed others things : the constant hunger is down very much too. I have the impression glycine has effects on the sleep, but it is hard to be sure because i take melatonin. I had always been skittish : since i takeglycine, much less, so the thermogenesis hypotesis is right, i think.

The protocol is simple : i take 15-18 grams of glycine by day, in 3 times, each times with my 1 liter usuals decoction plant : morning, afternoon and before to go to sleep (with vitamin c for the last). I take NAC each time. For those who had problems with keto-diet, or fat absorption generally, you must try glycine.

One more time, thank you to Laura and each members to share such priceless informations.

Back
Top Bottom