Health Benefits of Glycine

Thank Sebastien for reporting your experience. It sounds as if it has been very beneficial to you. Your post caused me to read the thread and now I will make a point of adding it to the diet. I bought 1 kg of it a couple of years ago, when the topic first came up, but have not been regular in adding it to the diet.

I've mentioned that I just use it to sweeten my tea. That's maybe a gram per cup and I drink several cups a day. I'm sure that it has helped my tummy too!

Interesting. I've known about this product (Glysom) for several years, tried it a few times. Not sure how much Glycine is in it. Comes in a small sachet of powder to be taken at bedtime. I have used it occasionally and my sleep has been good with it. Tastes good, too. Ajinomoto has several interesting nutraceuticals. There is something for boosting metabolism (Capsinate Naturia) and something for lowering blood pressure (Natura Guard). Interesting products. Ajinimoto gets a lot of bad press for being a major source of MSG, though.

_http://www.glysom.com/

Sebastien said:
The protocol is simple : i take 15-18 grams of glycine by day, in 3 times, each times with my 1 liter usuals decoction plant : morning, afternoon and before to go to sleep (with vitamin c for the last). I take NAC each time. For those who had problems with keto-diet, or fat absorption generally, you must try glycine.

That's quite impressive! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many people have had trouble with the keto diet because they were lacking supplements like Glycin. Sure, everybody is different and some people may never do well on the keto diet anyway, but it's nice to see that glycine can help alleviate some IBS type symptoms, and allow people to absorb more good fats.

I take about 1g a day.

Chu said:
Sebastien said:
The protocol is simple : i take 15-18 grams of glycine by day, in 3 times, each times with my 1 liter usuals decoction plant : morning, afternoon and before to go to sleep (with vitamin c for the last). I take NAC each time. For those who had problems with keto-diet, or fat absorption generally, you must try glycine.

That's quite impressive! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many people have had trouble with the keto diet because they were lacking supplements like Glycin. Sure, everybody is different and some people may never do well on the keto diet anyway, but it's nice to see that glycine can help alleviate some IBS type symptoms, and allow people to absorb more good fats.

I take about 1g a day.

I take about 2g of glycine per day (before I go to sleep), but I don't take it every single day. Sometimes I feel the craving for glycine, and sometimes I feel that I need a break from it. So in general I take glycine about 2 or 3 times per week, works good for me this way.

Siberia said:
Chu said:
Sebastien said:

I take about 1g a day.

I take about 2g of glycine per day (before I go to sleep), but I don't take it every single day. Sometimes I feel the craving for glycine, and sometimes I feel that I need a break from it. So in general I take glycine about 2 or 3 times per week, works good for me this way.

Like Siberia I take my glycine before bedtime. I'm guessing most people can tolerate it any time, unfortunately glycine makes me very fatigued when taken during the day. I take a teaspoon or two of it. It's not much but I'd rather play it safe as I tend to have quite exaggerated negative responses so supplements that work well for others.

I've been taking it when I was trying to go keto but unfortunately I was still feeling quite sluggish and sleepy. So I guess it didn't assist me on that end but it's likely I'm missing other important minerals and amino acids other than glycine, hence the struggle. I now stick to the paleo diet, although a very fatty one.

For me the main benefit of taking glycine was significant reduction in sugar cravings. I first noticed it when I realised I didn't feel like having chocolate - which had been unheard of before. I still have carbs but very little - if any - processed sugar.

I'll keep trying though! Maybe when I've cleaned my system enough I will be able to go keto with less struggle.

I've been meaning to add Glycine to my diet, I'm on the keto diet right now. Whenever I finish eating my chocolate custard I get a bit of a nauseating feeling which sticks around for a while and completely loose my appetite for 5-7 hours. I already don't have sugar cravings of any sort but I"ll test to see if this nauseating feeling will go away with glycine.

I am glad that this thread caught my attention. I had saved this back in January 2016 and filed it away in my vitamins and supplements folder.

I am definitely going to try some glycine after all the possible benefits mentioned. It almost makes me want to be a rat reading all the benefits but I'll pass on that part. :P

I found some for a very reasonable price to get started 1kg pure powder for about $20 (why not think bulk to save $?). I think it could help with so many issues like the keto diet, sleep, brain function and on and on.

Thanks everyone. :)

Ant22 said:
For me the main benefit of taking glycine was significant reduction in sugar cravings. I first noticed it when I realised I didn't feel like having chocolate - which had been unheard of before. I still have carbs but very little - if any - processed sugar.

I want to report the same here, it help a lot with sugar cravings and it help to correct any intestinal mess if you pass of carbs some day. I don't know if it is an antiinflamatory effect or not, but if I take it for several days my face become leaner, as though I will be in a diet for lost weight.

Divide By Zero said:
Goyacobol, I got the glycine from swansonvitamins, which has good quality control overall and great prices.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=glycine

You can regurlarly find coupon codes by googling "swansonvitamins coupon code", and last I recall free shipping on orders above 50.

Thanks, Divide By Zero. I'm thinking about the powder for adjustable dosage. I may try the dosage Laura does up to 15 grams a day or 1 teaspoon or cut back if I need to do that. Looks like a good discount with the coupon.

goyacobol said:
Thanks, Divide By Zero. I'm thinking about the powder for adjustable dosage. I may try the dosage Laura does up to 15 grams a day or 1 teaspoon or cut back if I need to do that. Looks like a good discount with the coupon.
...or 1 teaspoon (5 grams), 3 times/day to equal 15 grams/day

I began taking magnesium glycinate a month ago and have been enjoying very deep and restorative sleep. I actually wake up full of energy like I remember doing 30 years ago! This effect must be from either the improved absorption of magnesium (I've been taking magnesium citrate for 8 years now.), or the addition of glycine (my hunch). I've read that a 200 mg capsule of magnesium glycinate contains 613 mg. of glycine, so I'm getting 1226 mg. of glycine by taking two capsules at bedtime.

Since many of the studies are based on higher doses, I plan to supplement with additional glycine powder to maximize the anti-inflammatory benefits in hope that this will reduce sinus congestion that nothing else has done much to improve (though recent acupuncture has been promising so far).

JGeropoulas said:
I began taking magnesium glycinate a month ago and have been enjoying very deep and restorative sleep. I actually wake up full of energy like I remember doing 30 years ago! This effect must be from either the improved absorption of magnesium (I've been taking magnesium citrate for 8 years now.), or the addition of glycine (my hunch). I've read that a 200 mg capsule of magnesium glycinate contains 613 mg. of glycine, so I'm getting 1226 mg. of glycine by taking two capsules at bedtime.

Since many of the studies are based on higher doses, I plan to supplement with additional glycine powder to maximize the anti-inflammatory benefits in hope that this will reduce sinus congestion that nothing else has done much to improve (though recent acupuncture has been promising so far).

Maybe this trick can help reduce cost for people consuming magnesium glycinate. As you know magnesium glycinate is a bit expensive but is one of the best options, but there is a trick of basic chemistry: You can form in situ the magnesium glycinate if you mix a water solution of magnesium chloride with glycine in powder, the reaction is in seconds, so what you really ingest is essentially the chelate.

It's good stuff, I've been taking it for about a year, usually 2 teaspoons a day, goes well with butter tea/coffee :)

for any Aussie members, it's quite expensive to buy from health food stores down here, around $20 per 150g, Nicklebleu put me onto these guys https://www.bulknutrients.com.au/products/l-glycine.html who you can buy it in bulk from $33 a kg. I also get my NAC from them as well.

Back
Top Bottom