Health Benefits of Glycine

Galaxia2002 said:
JGeropoulas said:
I began taking magnesium glycinate a month ago and have been enjoying very deep and restorative sleep. I actually wake up full of energy like I remember doing 30 years ago! This effect must be from either the improved absorption of magnesium (I've been taking magnesium citrate for 8 years now.), or the addition of glycine (my hunch). I've read that a 200 mg capsule of magnesium glycinate contains 617 mg. of glycine, so I'm getting 1226 mg. of glycine by taking two capsules at bedtime.

Since many of the studies are based on higher doses, I plan to supplement with additional glycine powder to maximize the anti-inflammatory benefits in hope that this will reduce sinus congestion that nothing else has done much to improve (though recent acupuncture has been promising so far).

Maybe this trick can help reduce cost for people consuming magnesium glycinate. As you know magnesium glycinate is a bit expensive but is one of the best options, but there is a trick of basic chemistry: You can form in situ the magnesium glycinate if you mix a water solution of magnesium chloride with glycine in powder, the reaction is in seconds, so what you really ingest is essentially the chelate.
That's good to know. I've read that in magnesium glycinate, the ratio of magnesium to glycine is 1:2 which must be something other than physical weight because "200 mg of magnesium glycinate contains 617 mg of glycine".

So what amounts of water, magnesium and glycine should be used when making our own?

On a related note, I found this formula to calculate how much magnesium is bioavailable (bioavailability % of various magnesiums here: _http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/16932-bioavailability-elemental-of-magnesium-types/ ):

(mg powder in capsule) x (% elemental mag.)/(100) x (% bioavailability)/100 = amount of magnesium actually available to the body

Example: 500mg Mag Oxide
(500mg) x (60%)/100 x (4%)/100 = 12g of magnesium

JGeropoulas said:
(mg powder in capsule) x (% elemental mag.)/(100) x (% bioavailability)/100 = amount of magnesium actually available to the body

Example: 500mg Mag Oxide
(500mg) x (60%)/100 x (4%)/100 = 12g of magnesium

That would be 12 mg, which is not a lot - magnesium oxide has very poor bioavailability.

JGeropoulas said:
goyacobol said:
Thanks, Divide By Zero. I'm thinking about the powder for adjustable dosage. I may try the dosage Laura does up to 15 grams a day or 1 teaspoon or cut back if I need to do that. Looks like a good discount with the coupon.
...or 1 teaspoon (5 grams), 3 times/day to equal 15 grams/day

Thanks JGeropoulas. I missed that.

Glycine Reverses Aging in Cells​

Story at a glance:
  • Collagen is one-third of the protein in your body and 28% of it is made up of the amino acid glycine. One study estimates most people are about 10 grams short of what their bodies need for all metabolic uses on a daily basis
  • Mounting research suggests glycine may play an important role in the aging process. It’s been shown to extend lifespan in worms, mice and rats, and improve health in mammalian models of age-related disease
  • Glycine is a precursor to glutathione, a powerful endogenous antioxidant that declines with age, and the lack of glutathione in older adults may be an element that drives the oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction that lead to age-related degeneration
  • Glycine also acts as a neurotransmitter and may play an important role in depression, neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration and cognitive decline
  • Glycine may even be responsible for the epigenetic regulation that drives the aging process. Regulation of the aging process in your mitochondria appears to be ruled by two genes that regulate glycine production in the mitochondria. Adding glycine to the culture medium of fibroblast cells taken from 97-year old people restored the cells’ respiratory function, which suggests that glycine treatment can reverse the age-associated respiration defects in human fibroblasts

Personal Note: I ordered glycine from Bulk.com (for Europe residents) as they have regular sales campaigns (some better than other).
Is somebody else using another source ?

Attachments

• glycine-reverses-aging-in-cells-pdf.pdf
    232.2 KB · Views: 2

Glycine Reverses Aging in Cells​

Story at a glance:
  • Collagen is one-third of the protein in your body and 28% of it is made up of the amino acid glycine. One study estimates most people are about 10 grams short of what their bodies need for all metabolic uses on a daily basis
  • Mounting research suggests glycine may play an important role in the aging process. It’s been shown to extend lifespan in worms, mice and rats, and improve health in mammalian models of age-related disease
  • Glycine is a precursor to glutathione, a powerful endogenous antioxidant that declines with age, and the lack of glutathione in older adults may be an element that drives the oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction that lead to age-related degeneration
  • Glycine also acts as a neurotransmitter and may play an important role in depression, neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration and cognitive decline
  • Glycine may even be responsible for the epigenetic regulation that drives the aging process. Regulation of the aging process in your mitochondria appears to be ruled by two genes that regulate glycine production in the mitochondria. Adding glycine to the culture medium of fibroblast cells taken from 97-year old people restored the cells’ respiratory function, which suggests that glycine treatment can reverse the age-associated respiration defects in human fibroblasts

Personal Note: I ordered glycine from Bulk.com (for Europe residents) as they have regular sales campaigns (some better than other).
Is somebody else using another source ?
I have relied mainly on bone broth for glycine and collagen. I'm not sure if it is enough though.

Je prends de la glycine pour sucré mon thé ou boissons chaudes le matin depuis que Laura me l'a recommandée et cela depuis 8 ans...
Merci Laura pour toutes vos recommandations que j'applique chaque jour...

I have been taking glycine to sweeten my tea or hot drinks in the morning since Laura recommended it to me and have been doing so for 8 years...Thank you Laura for all your recommendations which I apply every day...

Back
Top Bottom