Healthy Eating Cookbook

Hi guys,

Here's one sweet recipe (if not on anti-candida diet)

You need:

11 pieces of organic apples
1 vanilla fruit
1/3 kilos of minced walnuts
6 tbs of xylitol

handfull of almonds, gently minced in mortar and pestle

How to do it:

6 organic apples

remove skin and seeds (do not cut apples on half, remove seeds in order to make nice round hole from top to bottom of the apple)
place apples in boiled water, cook apples for 10 minutes (check apples on regular bases, cooking time depends of apple's acidity and fructose quantity, more sugar in side of apple less cooking time), gently remove apples from the cooking water and leave them to cool down.

Clean additional 5 apples (remove skin and seeds) cut them in half, cook until soft, remove them from the water and leave to cool down in some mixing bowl (if you cook all apples together, you might damage whole apples), add minced walnuts, vanilla and mix it until you have nice paste (ad as much needed cooking water in order to get semi liquid paste) on the end add xylitol.

Place each whole apple in small plate.

Fill whole apples with the paste (usually you will have additional paste to make decoration on top of every apple or around the apples how ever you prefer, use your imagination), add a pinch of minced almonds on the top.

For maximum effect make a bit of whipped cream and ad it on the top of apples, cool it in fridge.

Bon Appétit :)

Scrambled eggs / omelets alternative:

- duck fat
- Brown rice (cooked or boiled)
- buckwheat sponge cake (bicarbonate, water, sea salt, buckwheat, baking powder, olive oil in good measure, mix until heavy, oil pre-heated ovens pan surface and sides with melting butter, put the viscous pasta into it, bake until it's inside doesn't appear 'wet' the top can become crispy)
- mustard

Put duck fat into pot being slowly heated - oops, didn't remember this fat melts & smokes so fast! - put brown rice into it, stir so you can see the rice cannot take up all the fat, put the crumbled buckwheat sponge cake into the pot, add a little sea-salt. Stir until this curious new duck-fat phenomenon coats the contents and the whole mash gets hot. Put medium-strength mustard (acid) on top to balance the mash's oiliness.

It's best mixed, like when you prepare a 'mash' for children. I ate a lot of omelets / scrambled eggs + in olive oil roasted yellow onions with mustard and it tasted good, but caused immediate inflammation and fuzzy mind, difficulty thinking. Now using Laura's buckwheat power-bread my head is always clear and duck fat tastes sooooOOo yummy, (first duck fat experience since 25 years), oh my god!! :clap: :headbanger: Thank you for all your wonderful dietary research & sharing of finds!! :flowers:

Here is another one:

Zucchini Ratatouille

4 mid large Zucchinis
4 organic eggs
2 dcl of cream + 1/2 dcl of milk or almond, pumpkin or brown rice milk
4 tsp of olive oil
1 cup of buckweath flour
2 small Spring onion
salt
peeper

clean Zucchinis and onion and cut them in small slices, mix cream, eggs and buckweath flour with vegetables and milk, salt and pepper (leave a bit of cream and eggs for the top), place the mixture in the baking pot (oiled with olive oil and dried with bit of buckweath flour), bake it on 220 *C, done when cream and eggs made nice brown crispy crust on the top.

Enjoy :D

Sounds good other than the eggs and the cream. Dairy is evil and eggs are really inflammatory for some people - others are okay with them, though! :)

anart said:
Dairy is evil.....

I don't mean to be too picky of word usage, but since I've noticed this phrase used a lot lately, I was wondering if you meant 'most dairy'. I occasionally use butter, organic when possible and/or ghee and was under the impression that for some, myself included, this is ok. ?

cholas said:
anart said:
Dairy is evil.....

I don't mean to be too picky of word usage, but since I've noticed this phrase used a lot lately, I was wondering if you meant 'most dairy'. I occasionally use butter, organic when possible and/or ghee and was under the impression that for some, myself included, this is ok. ?

How about ALL dairy, other than butter and ghee, if you can tolerate it? ;)

anart said:
Sounds good other than the eggs and the cream. Dairy is evil and eggs are really inflammatory for some people - others are okay with them, though! :)

Sorry, I should ad: if tolerating cream (milk products) and eggs, but I tried pumpkin milk with the recipe and it worked well, about the eggs, I'm using organic eggs, and not more than 2-4 per week ;).

Buckwheat bread / sponge cake - non-sticky version

I was overjoyed seeing how good today's buckwheat sponge cake or bread turned out. Didn't even stick to the enamel. I mixed the following:

- Pakistani sea salt - pink particly version (iron oxide as colorant)
- bicarbonate
- mineral water - Low on fluoride (i should use distilled/ machine filtered water later)
- 0.5 kg buckwheat (used up the whole sack, for bringing meal to workplace)
- mixer (Miss Mixxy: was using her for eggs and now converted her to the buckwheat religion)
Pic:
_http://hu.i.mall.cz/4471520
- extra virgine olive oil - oops forgot it, so poured in at the end, mixed until pasta became heavy viscous then gave some more oil, because i overdo everything
Pic:
_http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UT9U-RpWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mix until you are sure its mixed.

Turn your oven to the max and pre-heat with the rectangular pan inside.
My baby:
Pic:
_http://www.netedeny.hu/img/prd/1070028000.jpg/350/image.ashx

I use this butter to oil the pan, spoon out some and drag it all over the surface.
Pic:
_http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W_c63GlDO5g/SxDm23HY92I/AAAAAAAAFFQ/p0XBoOgdx38/s1600/494304_29945531.jpg

Pour in the viscous pasta. Bake for 20 minutes - oven always on max heat setting. Take out, turn the pan by 180 degrees so the other side of the cake - little raw because close to the oven-door - gets crispy as well. Bake another 20 minutes. Check: if it got nice hard crispy surface and after checking with a knife the inside is baked too, its ready. The whole cake must have and "almost burned" feeling about it. Looks like this, but i don't use rice.
Pic:
_http://glutenfreecookingschool.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/brown-rice-buckwheat-bread.jpg

I was laughing from surprise noticing that i mixed so 'much' olive oil into it that the whole cake came out non-sticky, not burned, and i could take it out as a whole body, almost like soft rubber, muscular & springy. ;) But smelling real good, having that strong taste. Before this i burned the cake down and a thin lowest layer of it stuck so bad to the above pan that had to be soaked in water for hours before i could scrape poor burned buckwheat layer from the bottom. But now it came out wonderful!! :wow:

Better Bacon

I've been experimenting with different flavours and worked out a yummy twist on fried bacon. The secret ingredient is Black Bean Sauce (no gluten, wheat, soy, MSG or anything like that - Chang's Tamari Black Bean Sauce Gluten and Wheat Free).

Black beans enhance the flavour of the meat and make it a bit spicy. I used the following ingredients and cooked them in a wok:

- Lotsa Bacon
- Duck fat (or extra virgin olive oil)
- Black bean sauce (a few tablespoons)
- Ginger paste (1/2 tablespoon)
- Turmeric (1/3 teaspoon)
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- Parsley
- Salt and Black Pepper

Mix the black bean sauce with ginger paste, turmeric, salt and pepper. Let it stand while the meat is being cooked.

Fry the bacon with duck fat - don't need lots of fat because the bacon is greasy already. When the meat is starting to get there, add chopped onion and garlic. Cook for a while until the veg becomes soft and almost cooked. Add the black bean sauce and stir through. Also add the parsley at this stage and cook for a bit longer to let the flavours mix in properly. And that's pretty much it.

I reckon that's better bacon! :)

I'm just starting to eat meat again for the first time in 13-14 years. I was looking at the grocer for some less expensive cuts and found turkey wings and thighs to be very discounted right now in the US, after the Thanksgiving holiday (when people eat a lot of turkey). I am not sure if $0.99 is a good price for antibiotic-free, free-range, veggie-fed turkey, but I haven't seen anything else remotely close yet. I live in a major US city where prices are generally high and are getting higher. Thighs were $1.49/lb by the way (I guess because there is more meat in relation to bone).

Anyway, here is a super simple recipe from the AP, it is supposedly a "soul food" version. Just sounds like a good roast to me, but it's all good.

8 turkey wings
2 teaspoons of black pepper
2 teaspoons of granulated garlic (seriously? use fresh if you can, minced/crushed)
2 teaspoons of seasoned salt (or just salt)
4 chopped celery sticks
a peeled and chopped 1/2 onion
4 peeled and chopped carrots
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour (use buckwheat/other compliant flour)
1/2 cup of water

First, start by preheating your oven to 350ºF. While you wait for the oven to heat up, season the turkey wings with the pepper, garlic, and seasoned salt, rubbing the seasonings over the wings to make sure they are fully covered. Then spread the carrots, chopped onions, and celery evenly around a medium roasting pan and place the seasoned wings on top. Put the roasting pan in the oven and roast the wings for about an hour, until thee wings are a golden brown and the vegetables are softened and caramelized. Then, remove the pan from the oven, lift the wings out and set them aside while you make gravy. Sprinkle the vegetables and turkey drippings with flour and stir them with a wooden spoon over medium heat. Drizzle in the water, continuing to stir the ingredients, and let them simmer until you see a thickened consistency. Now the gravy is ready, so return the wings to the pan and cover them with the gravy.

You can serve your turkey wings over white rice, or by themselves, depending on your taste. To add a bit of extra flavor, try wild rice instead. (yay!)

Turkey wings part 2: Swiss chard and turkey soup

Rinse, then chop one large bunch of Swiss chard (I think it is also called silverbeet). Boil briefly in a large pot of water. Drain and set aside (this is to get rid of acidic oxalates. Read more in this article _http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=16) You don't want to use this water, it's very acidic.

Put chard in a large pot along with a chopped onion, a few chopped carrots, and some chopped celery. Add a few cloves of minced garlic to taste (I like a lot!) Then take your leftover turkey wings/bones from a previous meal and add them to the pot (I had 2 in my pot). I still had a good amount of meat on mine, but it was a little hard to get off. Pour in filtered water to cover and let boil for a while until the meat falls off the bones. You will want to add some salt and pepper to taste before serving.

If you can tolerate them, add some lentils to the pot (probably red lentils would be best)- they will provide some extra thickness and protein. Make sure you rinse them though before adding them.

This is a good recipe to use up leftover bones and vegetables that you have lying around. It's very cheap and one could easily substitute or add other ingredients.

Cauliflower and Garlic recipe

This is one of my favorite recipes, and I think it fits in the detox diet.
Cauliflower and garlic
One whole head of Cauliflower, broken into florets
One or more heads of garlic, (depending on your taste) broken into cloves and peeled (if some cloves are very large, I cut them in half, as long as the pieces are of uniform size)
1/4 cup of ghee
salt to taste
Heat ghee in a skillet (I use well seasoned cast iron)
add cauliflower florets and sautee until lightly browned, stirring occasionaly
add garlic cloves and toss together
put a tight fitting lid on and cook over low heat until the cauliflower and garlic cloves are just soft.
salt to taste
You have to watch this closely to not over cook, as it will become mushy. (it is still very tasty, but I like the texture better if not overcooked, you might too)

adam7117 said:
I've been experimenting with different flavours and worked out a yummy twist on fried bacon. The secret ingredient is Black Bean Sauce (no gluten, wheat, soy, MSG or anything like that - Chang's Tamari Black Bean Sauce Gluten and Wheat Free).
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that tamari = MSG.

I love my beans. Very simple recipe that I have honed over the years, switching on and off vegetarianism, is below.

For the record, I am not 100% vegetarian, although have ethical considerations against eating meat. I have sneaked in a few burgers in the last few months, occasionally eat turkey, chicken, and fish. Not prejudiced against eggs or dairy.

However, the biggest hurdle preventing me from a wholesome diet, I believe, was the dependence on meat as the major source of protein. I believe I have solved this problem, at last. Moving to a new location (with fewer natural food stores as accessible as I used to have), being somewhat limited in funds but having a lot of spare time and being at home a lot of the time, I have finally set to perfecting my bean-cooking.

Beans provide an almost perfect combination of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and phytochemicals. I was one of the people developing one of the first pea protein products to hit the large market in the US, and have studied, in my opinion, the major existing sources of information on dietary proteins (not the least of which being the Institute of Medicine's report). Based on my diligent research, I came to the conclusion that, in accordance with the modern scientific data, beans and pulses provide a complete amino acid profile FOR ADULTS. The requirements of children and teenagers are somewhat different, and for them, perhaps, it is necessary, to get their protein, to depend on animal sources (meat, fish, and dairy), OR on COMBINATIONS of beans and grains. However, as I said, for adults, beans provide a complete protein source, and thus one can avoid eating too many carbs (such as rice), as becomes necessary when you are mixing grains and beans to get the complete protein, which I never really enjoyed. Moreover, 1 cup of cooked lentils (my favorite type of beans, unless they are a type of "pulse" :huh: ) fetches about 18 g of protein, which is about the amount in a regular serving of meat. I combine them with some good-quality extra virgin olive oil, salsa (bought), and sour cream or yoghurt. It's delicious.

I have bought large bags of organic lentils for the wholesale price of (last year) ~$45/25 lbs. One bag like this lasted me for about 6 months, and that being a staple food in my diet (in addition to salads, bread, some other veggies, and, as I said, an occasional burger or chicken, among other things). That, I believe, was quite a record of minimal food expense, being quite a healthy diet overall, nowadays.

Now, the recipe consists of just boiling beans with spices. I don't soak lentils, as is often advised for beans, as, imho (based on lots of experimentation), small beans (pulses?) don't really require that. I don't have any discomfort from phytic acid in this case, which is supposed to be eliminated by soaking, or any other "digestion inhibitors," and believe me, I am sensitive to that.

Besides, small beans/pulses cook very fast, compared to regular beans: it takes about 45 minutes of boiling, if not less, to get them done.

The spices I used:
- curry powder*
- cumin seed
- mustard seed (if available)
- garam masala

I use about a teaspoon of curry powder for a medium-size pot of beans, and about 2 times that amount of garam masala. 1/2 teaspoon of the seeds, each. Salt to taste.

You can add carrots and onions, etc., but I have found that the beans by themselves are delicious, and a teaspoon of salsa on the top adds a little bit of the desired veggie tinge.

A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil during cooking and/or on the plate.

Rinse the beans three times in running water before cooking.

* I have a bit of an obsession with turmeric, some information on which, I hope, I will be able to share here some time soon. It has proven benefits for cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and metabolic syndrome. Name it, it can cure it, IMO. Turmeric is the yellow spice that gives the yellow color to curry.

Back
Top Bottom