Healthy Eating Cookbook

Re: Detoxify or Die Cookbook

Having done an anti-candida diet (badly), I know how hard it is to find things that don't have sager/yeast in (if it comes in a packet/tube/can).

Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix _http://www.buythecase.net/product/12887/knorr_vegetable_soup_mix/

I highlighted a few of the ingredients that should probably be avoided
INGREDIENTS: WHEAT FLOUR, MALTODEXTRIN, ONION POWDER, DEHYDRATED VEGETABLES [POTATOES (SULFUR DIOXIDE USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), LEEKS], MODIFIED POTATO STARCH, SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (MILK), GUAR GUM, YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVORS, TURMERIC, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE.

I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives mind :) (home made veg soup/stock?)

Gotnoscript said:
3 tbs no salt added tomato paste
Be careful it doesn't have sugar(dextrose)/yeast in it!

RedFox said:
Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix _http://www.buythecase.net/product/12887/knorr_vegetable_soup_mix/

I highlighted a few of the ingredients that should probably be avoided
INGREDIENTS: WHEAT FLOUR, MALTODEXTRIN, ONION POWDER, DEHYDRATED VEGETABLES [POTATOES (SULFUR DIOXIDE USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), LEEKS], MODIFIED POTATO STARCH, SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, WHEY (MILK), GUAR GUM, YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVORS, TURMERIC, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE.

Thanks for finding that, RedFox - and - yeah - it's just full of nasty stuff.  So, the recipe needs some tweaking to be healthy.

I moved Gotnoscript's post and follow-ups to this thread since it had no place in the detox thread. The recipe included over half a dozen things that are not allowed while detoxing. What is more, it includes ingredients that should be avoided like the plague. GNS, if you keep eating like that, you'll soon be needing to detox. That is not even healthy eating. It may be vegetarian, but it's evil!!!

I've been looking for yeast free, gluten free bread recipes today, and actually found a lady who's figured out a tortilla/flatbread recipe!

Her site isn't totally within the detox diet, so I've put her link here, and the flatbread recipe to share.

Source site: http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/recipes/allergiesintol/breads.html

* Flax Gel
To replace two eggs, place 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal into a large microwaveable container. Add 1/2 cup water. Stir. Microwave on high until it bubbles and is slightly thick. (About 3 minutes) Cool in the freezer until it is slightly thicker. Using an electric hand mixer, mix until it looks slightly cream color and froth (foamy).

Tortillas
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 1/2 cup water (*See above flaxseed gel instructions.)
1 1/2 cup rice milk (or other alternatives)
3/4 cup water (Add 1 tablespoon more if it is too thick.)

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the oil, flaxseed meal, milk, and water. Stir. Cook on preheated griddle, electric skillet (about 350˚ F) until it dries slightly. Turn over and cook until brown spots are on the tortilla. To soften them, place on a dinner plate (covered with a dish towel). Place already cooked tortillas on the newly cooked tortillas. Move them around on the plate as other tortillas are cooked (so they can soften from the others) . Serve as a bean and/or beef burrito or just plain bread or add a fruit spread on it.

Copyright © 2005 Barbara Pratt. All rights reserved.

Her site has some interesting ideas for gluten free bread mixes, but she does use a lot of different starches I would avoid on a detox diet.

Gimpy

Couple more yeast free breads from today's searching.

Yeast Free Wholemeal Bread Recipe #56999

This is so far the BEST yeast free bread that I have baked for my daughter who has candida. It tastes really nice, holds together well and is so quick and easy to make. I adapted this recipe from an Irish Soda Bread recipe called Wheaten Bread which I found on an untitled web site.
by Jacquie in Brisbane

55 min | 5 min prep

1 Loaf

· 3 cups whole wheat flour (can substitute with any other kind of whole grain mix eg quinoa, millet, brown rice @ a cup each)
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
· 1/4 cup rolled oat (gluten free rolled oats can be found out there, or replace with quinoa flakes)
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 tablespoon sugar (I use sweetener as my daughter has candida)(Stevia)
· 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
· 2 cups rice milk (or preferred milk incl. buttermilk)

1. Pre-heat oven to 200 deg.
2. celcius (392 deg. farenheit).
3. Combine all dry ingredients then mix butter through well with a fork.
4. Add milk (and sweentener if it is a liquid) mix until well combined.
5. Put mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes.
6. Remove bread from tin and cool on a rack.

© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Yeast Free Bread Recipe #67405

Country style bread using no yeast. Many variations to this bread for any occasion!
by Tish

1 hour | 20 min prep

1 loaf

· 3 cups whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground) <--I'd still use a gluten free flour mix here
· 4 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cups rice milk or water (works with any liquid)
· 1/4 cup liquid fat (i.e. melted milk free margarine, vegetable oil, olive oil)

1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. Do not sift the flour!
3. Mix liquids and add to dry.
4. Stir until there is no more dry flour.
5. Depending on the humidity of the air where you live you may need a little bit more or less liquid.
6. The dough should be moist but not sticky.
7. It may take a few minutes for the flour to fully absorb the liquid, so don't rush to add liquid or flour to it.
8. Score lightly the surface in a diamond or X shape to prevent splitting of the crust.
9. This is a country style bread that should be sliced thick.
10. It is important not to overwork the dough.
11. Shape into a ball or an oval, with oiled hands.
12. Place on clean baking sheet.
13. Bake for 40 minutes at 400F.
14. Variations: Rub the dough ball with virgin olive oil and sprinkle sea salt and oregano for a foccacia flavor.
15. For tea time add a tsp pure cane sugar.
16. The liquid can be replaced for orange or other fruit juice if the bread is to be used for teatime and you can even add dried chopped fruits.
17. For a savory bread the liquid can be tomato juice and you can add chopped sundried tomatoes to the dough.
18. Sprinkling of seeds in the dough or on top of the bread is also possible.

I'm looking forward to trying a few of these after the detox.

Gimpy

anart said:
Interesting recipe, gotnoscript, I bet it tastes great.

Is 'spices' listed or 'yeast extract' or 'hydrolyzed protein' or any of those undercover msg names, or soy derivatives?

"yeast extract" sounds like some sort of yeast and seems totally different from monosodium glutamate (that is a kind of chemical) actually "yeast extract" is a undercover name for an apparently not-so-toxic ingredient that do actually contain MSG :

naturalnews.com said:
There's a great deal of deception in the labeling of food products found at your local grocery store and even at many health food stores. A disturbing trend I've noticed is that many vegetarian products and grocery items billed as "healthy" or "natural" are using chemical additive taste enhancers found in an ingredient listed right on the label.

The taste enhancer is MSG -- monosodium glutamate -- a chemical that has been associated with reproductive disorders, migraine headaches, permanent damage to the endocrine system leading to obesity and other serious disorders. MSG is a chemical compound that simply does not belong in the body in the concentrations provided by these foods. It is used by food manufacturers as a taste enhancer -- something to cover up the bland tastes of these foods and make them more appealing to consumers. But food manufacturers don't want to list MSG on the labels, especially when they know that consumers will avoid purchasing products that list MSG.

So what do they do instead? They hide the ingredient in another ingredient called "yeast extract", then they put yeast extract in the product and list "yeast extract" right on the label. So this is the scam: all sorts of natural health products and vegetarian products are using chemical taste enhancers in the form of yeast extract but failing to disclose to consumers that they actually contain MSG. And if you look around at the natural health products in health food stores and grocery stores, you'll find that yeast extract is a rather prominent ingredient. It's used in soups, in vegetarian mixes, in some tofu mixes, and even so-called natural frozen foods.

I can personally verify that yeast extract has the same effect as MSG, because I am an individual who is extremely sensitive to MSG. Upon consuming even a small amount of MSG, I experience a severe headache that lasts for 6 to 8 hours. Consuming yeast extract causes precisely the same effect as consuming MSG.

In fact, food manufacturers don't deny that yeast extract contains MSG -- it's something that's well-known in the food manufacturing industry. What's going on here is a blatant deception -- an attempt to mislead consumers by essentially renaming dangerous ingredients with harmless sounding names such as "yeast extract". I believe this practice to be irresponsible and unethical, and I strongly urge you to not only avoid purchasing products made with yeast extract, but avoid products from companies that use yeast extract in any of their products. It is simply a dishonest practice, and we should not reward companies that engage in such practices by purchasing any products they manufacture.

Unfortunately, many of these food manufacturers are creating products for the so-called health foods industry. In a way that is sadly all too real, traditional grocery products and processed foods will list MSG right on the label. At the same time, so-called healthy products will use yeast extract, so they can avoid mentioning MSG on the label. Yet, both products contain MSG, and both products carry the risk of toxic side effects associated with MSG.

So, are you any safer by purchasing health foods rather than traditional grocery store foods? The answer is that you should avoid purchasing processed foods at all, regardless of what health claims are made on the label. Processed foods are unhealthy foods, period. If you want optimum nutrition, and foods for which the human body was designed, you need to purchase and consume raw ingredients, such as vegetables, fruit, nuts, whole grains, and healthy oils. It's also a good idea, as you've often heard me recommend here, to supplement your diet with whole food supplements, organic vitamins, and superfoods, such as chlorella, spirulina, broccoli sprouts and sea vegetables. This is the way to achieve optimum nutrition, not by purchasing processed foods that are disguised as healthy foods, even though they contain ingredients known to induce toxic side-effects in the human body.

But don't take my word for it -- check it out yourself. Next time you go to a health food store, look at the product boxes and cans on the shelves, and see just how many you can find that contain yeast extract. It's especially easy to find with vegetarian foods, which just goes to show you that just because a product says "vegetarian" on the label doesn't mean it's good for you (or that the company making it gives a hoot about your health).

So far I didn't find one single Vegetable Soup Mix, including so-called organic ones that didn't contain yeast extract.

This is pretty simple but the kids and I love it.
Cut up a few onions into chunks (I quarter) and mince a couple of garlic sections, or more if you're a big garlic fan. Chop a green peeper up into semi small pieces.
In a pan (non teflon) brown any kind of chicken pieces you like in olive oil. Set aside. Add onions to the same pan and cook until soft on lower heat (add garlic near the end). Meanwhile, in a deep baking dish, open 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Add green pepper pieces. Add some sea salt and chicken boullion (about 1 TBLS or 2 if you like) I get mine msg free, gluten free from the health food store. Mix it up. Place chicken pieces on top and put into 350 oven until chicken cooked.
While this is baking, making a nice batch of brown rice. Everything should be done around same time. We use the rice as a base then put the tomato mixture on top, add some Braggs soy sauce (no perservatives, alcohol, non fermented) and chicken. Very hearty and filling.

Sounds good - the nightshades might be a problem for those fighting pain and inflammation and hate to break it to you, but according to Dr. Mercola, soy sauce is an excitotoxin - another form of msg - all soy sauce.  The only specific Bragg's product I have data on is the liquid amino acids which have been discussed on the forum too - and, yep, they're another glutamate - an excitotoxin. 

But, if you cut the soy sauce and have no problems with nightshades or peppers, it sounds really good!  :)

anart said:
Interesting recipe, gotnoscript, I bet it tastes great.

Just wondering what is in the Knorr vegetable soup mix?  I'd be interested in seeing the ingredients - is 'spices' listed or 'yeast extract' or 'hydrolyzed protein' or any of those undercover msg names, or soy derivatives?   Also, I think the simple starch of potatoes is off the menu if one is fighting candida (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that). 

You can substitute cauliflower for the potatoes and the Knorr vegetable soup mix does contain MSG. So if you're sensitive to that leave it out and just put in some other spices for flavoring.  The original recipe I grabbed from Dr. Fuhrman's web site and calls for his "VegiZest", but I didn't feel like spending the money on that just for a little flavoring, but you can get it at _www.drfuhrman.com.

Laura said:
I moved Gotnoscript's post and follow-ups to this thread since it had no place in the detox thread. The recipe included over half a dozen things that are not allowed while detoxing. What is more, it includes ingredients that should be avoided like the plague. GNS, if you keep eating like that, you'll soon be needing to detox. That is not even healthy eating. It may be vegetarian, but it's evil!!!

Yes, it's bad. I agree. Remove the Knorr mix from the recipe. Substitute as needed. I'm sure it'll still taste great. I have a vegetable lasagne recipe that's really good too, but it uses Tofu to make a ricotta cheese substitute, but otherwise uses just slices of eggplant, summer squash, zucchini and mushrooms. Oh heck, here it is. Substitute out evil Soy products:

No Pasta Vegetable Lasagna

LASAGNA "NOODLES"
2 large eggplants, sliced 1/4" lengthwise
3 small zucchini, slice lengthwise as thin as possible
3 small yellow squash, slice lengthwise as thin as possible

EVIL TOFU RICOTTA
1 package silken firm tofu
1 small onion, cut in quarters
4 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
1 1/4 pounds firm Evil tofu
4 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegieZest
2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
1 cup grated soy mozzarella cheese

VEGETABLES
2 bunches broccoli florets & peeled stems, coarsely chopped
4 cups sliced mushrooms, preferable a mixture of shiitake, cremini, oyster)
4 medium bell peppers (a mixture of red, yellow & orange), chopped
1 7-ounce bag organic baby spinach
3 cups pasta sauce, no or low salt
fresh basil, shredded

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Step 1: Lasagna "Noodles"
Bake eggplant, zucchini and squash slices for 10 minutes until
flexible but not completely cooked.

Step 1: Tofu "Ricotta"
Puree soft, evil tofu, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Add 1 bunch
basil leaves and pulse to coarsely chop.

Squeeze firm evil tofu to remove excess water and crumble. Mix pureed soft
tofu mixture with crumbled firm tofu. Add VegiZest, Italian herbs, and
grated evil soy mozzarella cheese.

Step 3: Saute' Vegetables
Saute' broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, and spinach over low heat for 5
minutes, without water, just until tender.

Step 4: Assemble
Spread a thin layer of pasta sauce on bottom of a baking dish. Layer
eggplant slices, then sauteed vegetables, tofu ricotta, squash and
zucchini slices and spread with pasta sauce. Repeat layers ending with
tofu ricotta. Spread pasta sauce on the top and bake, uncovered, for 1
hour or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with shredded fresh basil.

Yummy Salad Dressing. 

This is an excellent dressing.  I've played around with some of the ingredients.  It's not detox friendly, but it's a healthy dressing.  (I think) :/  I usually double the recipe.

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil

4 TBS fresh lemon juice

1 TBS honey

1 TBS Dijon Mustard (I've used plain old prepared mustard)

3 medium cloves of pressed garlic

3 TBS of fresh basil, or 3 tsp of dried

1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (I've used pumpkin, it was a very good substitute)

1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper ( I usually leave this out) Type-A

1/2 tsp sea salt

4 oz of tofu ( I've used both yogurt and low fat cottage cheese and they have both been fine.  I think you could leave it out completely as the ground nuts give the dressing a creamy texture.)

a bit of water if needed to thin

**Oops, I forgot the blend part. This needs to be blended until the seeds are ground. My blender has a flat blade that grinds the seeds, so it only takes a minute.

2 heads of romaine lettuce
1 bunch of dandelion greens
1 medium tomato (I leave this out)

It's the most time consuming salad dressing I've ever made, but I make it anyway cuz it's good and my tummy loves lemon and garlic.  :cool:

Major sweet tooth cure.

Freezing time for bananas is about 8 hours.

1/2 cup coconut milk

2 TBS of lime juice (I've also used lemon)

1/3 cup of grated coconut

2 heaping cups of ripe (the skins should have brown spots) frozen bananas sliced into 1/4 inch rounds ( about 4 medium bananas)

1. add the lime and 1/2 of the coconut milk and frozen bananas into the blender. Pull apart ant banana pieces that have frozen together. You may have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides.

2. add the rest of the coconut milk and blend.

3. add grated coconut and run the blender for another 5 seconds.

You don't want to blend it too long or the mixture becomes runny rather than creamy. You may serve in 1/2 of a papaya or a glass.

Serves two.

The husband inhales this one. :cool2: I usually manage to get a couple of bites.

I don't think this works for the detox diet because of the coconut milk

anart said:
Sounds good - the nightshades might be a problem for those fighting pain and inflammation and hate to break it to you, but according to Dr. Mercola, soy sauce is an excitotoxin - another form of msg - all soy sauce. The only specific Bragg's product I have data on is the liquid amino acids which have been discussed on the forum too - and, yep, they're another glutamate - an excitotoxin.

But, if you cut the soy sauce and have no problems with nightshades or peppers, it sounds really good! :)
Thanks for this...didn't know ALL soya sauce. My son has tics and I have to avoid excitotoxin. I suppose it's in anything "soy'? Hmmmm I'll have to research.

Gotnoscript said:
Yes, it's bad. I agree. Remove the Knorr mix from the recipe. Substitute as needed. I'm sure it'll still taste great. I have a vegetable lasagne recipe that's really good too, but it uses Tofu to make a ricotta cheese substitute, but otherwise uses just slices of eggplant, summer squash, zucchini and mushrooms. Oh heck, here it is. Substitute out evil Soy products:

Better to use the Ricotta and avoid the tofu.

Gotnoscript said:
You can substitute cauliflower for the potatoes and the Knorr vegetable soup mix does contain MSG. So if you're sensitive to that leave it out and just put in some other spices for flavoring. The original recipe I grabbed from Dr. Fuhrman's web site and calls for his "VegiZest", but I didn't feel like spending the money on that just for a little flavoring, but you can get it at _www.drfuhrman.com.

Gotnoscript, MSG is not just something people are sensitive to, it is an excitotoxin that actively kills brain cells!!! From the detox cocktail thread:

Incognito said:
This is from chapter three.

Environmental Toxins Cause All Human Disease

Have you heard food manufacturers and chemical companies tell you that the minuscule amount of chemicals are harmless? That there is no evidence that they cause disease? I hope by the end of this chapter you'll answer them with an emphatic "Hogwash!"

Stockpiled chemicals stored in our fat don't stay put. They slowly leach out and damage our machinery, producing disease and accelerated aging. Pesticides, volatile organic hydrocarbons, auto and industrial pollution, mycotoxins, heavy metals and more mimic any disease. They can cause any symptom or disease from high blood pressure, heart failure, osteoporosis, high cholesterol, arthritis, or Alzheimer's disease to fibromyalgia, degenerating disks, Parkinson's disease, depression, fatigue, irritable bowel, loss of libido, colitis, asthma, eczema, prostatitis, esophagitis, atrial fibrillation, GERD, hearing loss, headaches, recurrent sinus, ear or throat infections, diabetes or cancer, and more.

Myth: Small Amounts Are Harmless

This myth was touted all over the world before DDT was partially banned decades later. Scientists were appalled to find out that every amount that we have created stays in the environment and merely cycles through soil, plants, animals and back to the soil, plants, and animals. the were also surprised that is was on of the strongest cancer causing chemicals that man had ever devised and can cause or mimic any disease including common allergies, recurrent infections, hormone deficiencies, auto-immune diseases and cancer. Sure, small amounts would be harmless if we had a way of getting rid of them, but instead they slowly stockpile. Right now, there are no animals, no plants and no humans without detectable levels of DDT or its metabolite DDE in their bodies. Furthermore, it appears there are no oceans, seas or lakes that are free of some of this pesticide. To quote Turusov, "DDT residues have been found in all birds and fishes analyzed, even those living in desert areas or in the depths of the oceans." Even the breast milk of Eskimos at the Arctic Circle has detectable levels that mothers innocently transmit to their babies. And in spite of the known carcinogenicity and persistence in the environment and our bodies, DDT is currently heavily used in may other countries.

There is no question that these accumulated toxins ( along with undiagnosed nutrient deficiencies) are behind every disease. Cadmium accumulation from seafood, dental work or auto and incinerator exhausts can trigger osteoporosis, back pain, high blood pressure, hip pain, arthritis, kidney disease, BPH,(benign prostatic hypertrophy), chronic fatigue, cancer or damage vision. Arsenic from cigarettes, treated playground and deck wood, pesticides, paints and porcelain dental crowns and inlays can give mysteriously painful burning skin, bloody colitis, or heart disease with arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation or paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, or congestive heart failure as well as weakness or paralysis, anemia or cancers.

Mercury from pesticides, fungicides, tuna and other fish, dental "silver" fillings, and paints, triggers depression, chronic fatigue, leukemia, symptoms that mimic multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, resistant Candidiasis, chemical sensitivity, shoulder tendinitis, or body burning. It merely depends on each person's total load or combination of factors. And these are by no means all of the symptoms these environmental toxins produce, just examples of some of the more commonly documented ones.

pg. 89-90-91

Back
Top Bottom