Heavy breathing and belly lump in my little budgie parrot ( parakeet )

I've found the site I told you but unfortunately they don't attend health matters any more, at least online, sorry Constantine! In any case, I realize that an online vet can't help you much either as long as no analyze is available, aside from giving a first opinion on the lump issue based on the photo solely you´d provide him.

I've been watching several yt videos of birds owners and vets operating lumps, and there seem to be quite many reasons for a lump to develop, not just ingrown feathers. I dearly hope your birdie continues to make her noise, which are excellent news really! I´m touching wood :)

I showed the image to the avian vet, and she said that it looks like lipoma. You can see similar images here. It is a benign growth that happens often to parakeets due to an unbalanced diet. Or if the diet is balanced, it could happen due to some disturbance in lipid metabolism.

She said that it is hard to know for sure without an x-ray, and perhaps it has to do with liver after all, but the treatment is the same, so it doesn't really matter. Also, don't know if you read Russian, but there is a good page about it, including explanation and treatment. The idea is that if you follow simple instructions and treatment, you can stop the progression of the growth and even lessen it to a large degree.

Here's a short version, including recommendations from the avian vet.

First the diet.

- You should try and exclude foods rich in protein, like eggs and nuts. Add more vegetables, fruits and fresh grass.
- It is also important to allow your birdie to fly free. Movement is good for him. He should have daily exercise and not to sit for long in one place.
- Provide him with mineral supplements.

Now for the treatment.

- Silymarin (it is an active ingredient in Milk Thistle) 7-7.5 mg twice a day. For 30-60 days
- Antibiotic Enrofloxacin 0.03 ml per os twice a day for 3 weeks.
- You can also give your birdie lipoic acid. 1/6 of a tablet. No less than 3 months.

You may not find silymarin in this exact name, but under all kind of trade names. It doesn't matter. As long as it contains only Milk Thistle, it is good. And even if it due to a large liver or not, it will still be good for your birdie, and will also help with lipid metabolism.

As for Enrofloxacin, pay attention to the dosage or concentration, They may vary.

Also, don't know if you have access to homeopathic remedies, but the site that I mentioned talks about Lipomin (Contains Natrium muriaticum C6, Graphit C6). It is intended for birds (and small animals) specifically for this kind of problems.

Now, it is possible that it isn't a lipoma but an abscess. After all, physical examination is always better. But then, just be careful not to stress the birdie too much when opening it, because unfortunately there are many cases of birds not being able to handle the stress. :(

Wish you and your bird a lot of good luck!

Thank you so much Keith. This really means a lot.
His diet is realy balanced, i have to add more vitamins and minerals. I am giving him fruits and vegetables.

I can also fing sylimarin and i already have thst anti iotic and AL A.

I just must let him more out the cage so he can be more active.
Now i have some idea what should i do.
I hope that je will be better.

Thank you once more Keith.

Yesterday afternoon my budgie passed away. :(

Exactly 2 moths after I wrote my first post about him here.
I was giving him silymarin and ALA every day, and after some time there were days when he looked little better.That raised hope in me that he will be better.
Last 3 weeks his lump increased double or maybe even triple in size so he has trouble with balance.
Until then he had a huge appetite and he ate a lot of food than normal. Soi decreased the seeds portions a little and increased the fruits and vegetables and he had no problem with that.
When I saw that the lump increased I decided to put weak iodine solution on the lump with a small soft brush every evening.
It has no effect at all.
Last 3 days he stopped to eat. He was just laying in one corner on the bottom of his cage. Yesterday morning I checked him and he was still in the same spot. I knew that he won't make it the next 24 hours. At 4 pm my wife called me at work and told me that he is not good and that he is breathing very slowly.
I came home at 5:30 pm and he was dead.
I felt so sorry for this little buddy. He was so intelligent and energetic. I didn't know how to tell my son. He loved him so much.
I told him that he was not feeling good this morning when I went to work and that now he is dead. He starts crying. I hugged him and i told him that he is at a much better place now and that he is not suffering anymore.
I also miss him very much. He was jumping all over me when he was out of his cage. We had a nice time together.
Then I wrapped his body in a nice thick and soft cloth and went outside with my son so we can put his body on the ground. I dug a deep hole in the yard and we put him there.
He cried all night until he falls asleep.

After all this, its lump was probably some kind of tumor or cancer that killed him.

So very sorry Konstantin! It's always so hard when a loved pet passes. He seemed to have a very good life with you and was very happy. As you told your son, he is no longer suffering. May he rest in peace for a while and, then, move on to a new adventure. :hug: to you and your family.

My condolences to you Konstantin. Pets are part of my family and it always hurts bad when they pass on. :(
I always like the story of the Rainbow Bridge. And meeting back up with them. :)

Konstantin,

I am sorry for your loss.

Imagine how despair for you to watched such painful crying from your pet, yet you can’t help. That made tears in my eyes. And thinking about suffering from every living beings in this density. That really depressing.
But I keep going in my life because now days I have hope that from Cs and Laura’s life long work. So, just keep working on myself to be better. And comfort me that some would make and escape this awful place.

I am very sorry for your loss, Konstantin. :( Big hug to you and your son. :hug2:

I´m so sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Konstantin. These little birds are so intelligent and their company so incredibly endearing, they´re one of the many mysterious gifts of the universe.

When my parrot died she also behaved the same way than yours, and without a lament as it´s mostly usual in the kingdom of animals, which honors them all the more. And when their time comes to an end, it was always a wonder to me how they wisely gather themselves together letting nature doing her job without interfering.

I hope your son will take it easier soon, and I send many hugs to you and your family!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your budgie, Konstantin. Big hugs to your family. :hug2:

Back
Top Bottom