Help identifying and understanding a "gut feeling" (anxiety? "panic attacks"?)

HowToBe

The Living Force
So there is a particular sensation I get more or less behind the belly button in my "gut". it feels "circular" somehow, and the image that has always come to me for it is like a white spherical radiation, like a ball with surface, no edge, it just radiates out into the surrounding area. Maybe sometimes it will project upward. It's very much a qualia, I can't really describe it in terms of any other sensations. It's not painful exactly, not tightness, not heat or cold, though maybe closer to heat somehow, not nausea, and I've never had it turn into nausea. In rare cases, maybe only once, I've had it move upwards a bit and my heart rate went up, a bit of thumping there.

It generally appears when I think about certain things, particularly taking action, or dealing with something stressful, but not necessarily specifically negative things.

Possibly relevant, when a psychologist tested me for ADD when I was younger, he suggested follow-up be done because he though my (sub-clinical for ADD) symptoms might actually reflect anxiety. I've always been very cautious and pretty indecisive so that probably fits.

History:
I first noticed it when dealing with an family member of mine in my high school years, ironically perhaps the guy who somewhat opened my brother and I to alternative ideas in general. But he tended to ramble on (rather like Frank, by the sound of Laura's descriptions), and wasn't capable of handling much disagreement, he would tend to shoot down any difference of thought or opinion I had. It got so that I would have running debates with him in my head, in which he'd always have some weasely counter-argument. Thinking about him would generate the gut sensation I've described. Even in my head I couldn't imagine being heard by him, being allowed a difference of opinion. Eventually once I was on the forum I asked about it, and opted to stop talking to him. Funny enough, he hardly made any effort to reach out. If we didn't bring ourselves to him it seemed he wasn't going to reach out, which was probably for the best at that time.

Other examples of when it has appeared:
1. When I decided to try setting an Aim (didn't really work at the time, I was laden with "shoulds" and some other mysterious difficulties) and pursuing a job. At this time I researched a bit and the closest thing I could seem to find were descriptions of panic attack symptoms, one of which is a feeling in the gut. Not sure I've ever had a full-blown panic attack, though. I pushed past it and got the job.
2. Thinking about going to work at times when the job had become particularly stressful, if I recall corectly.
3. Thinking about reading SOTT and participating on the forum during the period leading up to my relative absence the last few years. There were a lot of "shoulds" there in my mind - a habit from my childhood I didn't know how to crawl out of.

So, I'm wanting to figure out what this sensation is, and what it can tell me when it appears. It seems to be a potential confusing factor, since some of things it arises in response to might be good for me, but at the same time the pattern seems to indicate there's something below the surface -- possibly sometimes purely on my end -- that is not healthy.

When the feeling is there... I guess I might say it draws or demands my attention with a certain amount of urgency, perhaps. It is difficult to do things while fighting it, and it seems to accompany a certain amount of difficulty approaching things with clarity and purpose. Something like that.

EE breathing seems to help sometimes, but it doesn't seem to address the connection between the sensation and the associations that generate it. It doesn't prevent it from appearing or give me insight about how to address it. Also, I seem to recall that at one time when EE itself was a big "should" for me, I would even get the sensation when thinking about EE! Probably one reason I really didn't manage to keep the practice well over the years, though I made use of pipe breath quite a bit.

Is there any good reading, or types of therapy, or anything else that might help me get to the bottom of this? Since this sensation is so noticeable, it seems like it could be really useful or important to learn to read it.

EE breathing seems to help sometimes, but it doesn't seem to address the connection between the sensation and the associations that generate it. It doesn't prevent it from appearing or give me insight about how to address it.
Consider it as understanding our own machine which has many visible/invisible layers with their own origination point. Often we are programmed NOT to express emotion (fear/guilt/shame etc.). If that happened at the prenatal phase, it is much more difficult to narrow down. We can take a paper and write it down( without using mind) to let it out. But, that may or may not work immediately.

It is not just expression of it, it is also about processing of the implications and rewire it to a constructive conclusion. If we have a feeling or thought process that specific fear is worthless, but body none the less expresses it. what do you do with it? Often, we suppress it as we consider it as a worthless emotion. I like the following book as it divides machine into different parts ( Physical, mental and emotional) and tries to address them to rewire it. Amazon.com: You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life: 9781583334836: Jeffrey M. Schwartz, Gladding MD, Rebecca: Books
Search the forum for the author you will find few thread like this

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/threads/the-mind-and-the-brain-jeffrey-m-schwartz-sharon-begley.32001/

Whatever may be part, Vagus nerve seems to be critical part that can help to reduce the reaction. That's why EE is such a helpful tool.

How the stress ( disparity between drive vs reality) gets reflected in sensations can depend on the individual.

Have you experienced any stress while using the treadmill, considering what you mentioned about stress often accompanying the sensation? Alternatively, have you considered the possibility that the sensation could be linked to performance anxiety, where you may be operating under the belief, whether true or not, that you are inadequate or not producing satisfactory results?

Keeping a journal can be a useful tool for self-reflection and understanding. Try writing down your thoughts, experiences, and any observations related to the gut sensation. Over time, you might notice patterns or connections that can provide valuable insights into its origins and significance.

Hi HowToBe glad youre sharing here :) sounds like youre concerned about this issue and wish to get some support - thats great youve reached out !

I may be incorrect- but I can see two main components of the issue -

Firstly the sensation you describe in your stomach

Secondly Thinking about certain things that may be triggered by this sensation.

In relation to the sensation you describe there might be an unresovled past issue/ event that may have given rise to that -it may be subconscious.
seek10 mentioned the Vagus nerve and EE which is a very helpful.
is there anything/anyone from your childhood history that might/ could give rise to unresolved emotional trauma? in that case it may be supportive to raise these issues at with a fully qualified therapist.

In regard to the thinking processes /narratives/self dialogue component I have found what supported me a great deal in these kind of scenarios /loops has been :

cognitive behavioral therapy-CBT (for adressing the more mental/self talk aspect) - ive personally got great benefit from CBT
depending on you geographical location you can acsess a CBT based online course here Gain Access to SilverCloud® by Amwell® Programmes
I got mine free as i live in ireland after being recommended by by doctor.
There are numerous CBT base programmes freely available. I like the online one that I provided the link to as it was interactive.
of course you could see or attend a CBT course in person.

well wishes

I've been having the same symptoms lately. I associate it with the onset of a panic attack. It's still new, because a few years ago I suffered a lot of panic attacks but it was different, more drastic. This last sensation is as you explain, and it demands my attention in a strong way, it's as if all of a sudden everything was this sensation that frightens me a little, fear of losing control. What I do then is take deep breaths and it passes. Sometimes I walk around and say "I'm going to have a panic attack!" very loudly with deep breaths. What can also help is to always have a paper bag handy and breathe into it. It's a trick that works. Breathing your own co2 calms you down. I also take Dr. Bach's Rescue Remedy as soon as possible. It helps and calms. There's a flower essence in Rescue called Patience.

I also see these attacks as a cry, like a "Hey, you!" So I think back to the words of Master Thai, who said that we should take our pain, or our loneliness, or our suffering in our arms, as if it were a child, and say "I know you're suffering, I'm here, don't worry."

It can happen to me anywhere, the first time in a shop with a friend. Then at home. I haven't had this kind of attack for a week now.

I hope with all my heart that you will find a solution or a panacea to this problem.

We can take a paper and write it down( without using mind) to let it out. But, that may or may not work immediately.
I'm exploring this option a bit, by trying out Anna Runkle's (The Crappy Childhood Fairy on youtube) writing technique, which is at heart a Pennebaker exercise, it seems. We'll see how that goes. But yes. It seems like sometimes EE helps and sometimes it doesn't. It may depend on how well I'm able to embrace the exercise at a given time.

Thanks for the links! I know someone who has that book, if we can find. Otherwise it goes on my buy list.

Alternatively, have you considered the possibility that the sensation could be linked to performance anxiety, where you may be operating under the belief, whether true or not, that you are inadequate or not producing satisfactory results?
There's some possibility of this being an unconscious fear of mine, though more in space of worry about whether I'll be able to rise to challenges or "get myself to do enough". I may have reached somewhat of a milestone in that regard recently, I'm not sure. but I'm currently starting to make steps to become master of my life, and it has come fairly naturally so far, so it seems possible something has been released, but "it ain't the whole potato". :-) It feels like it probably rules me less now, but it would be really amazing if I could learn "what it means" well enough that I could use it as a signal to guide healing. That's the hope, basically.

No stress or odd feelings are provoked by exercise, thankfully. If I felt a "should" pressure to exercise, or that I wanted to do more but it might take too much time, maybe it would be different.

Regarding journaling, it can be tricky as I can just go on and on. I'm very "thinky", I have thoughts and associations galore, and also tends to like to describe things in detail when I write about them, to keeping it "contained" in time and space can be an issue. 😅
is there anything/anyone from your childhood history that might/ could give rise to unresolved emotional trauma? in that case it may be supportive to raise these issues at with a fully qualified therapist.
It's definitely a consideration. There are 3 potential events I know of:
1. Circumcision.
2. And incident in which I basically cut my head in a grocery store when I was a toddler or so. No memory of that.
3. An event in which I cut the skin almost all the way around one of my fingers as a post-toddler kid because I woke up early and wanted a piece of fruit. I have some vague memory of that, but for a long time I illogically thought it was how I got my forehead scar, so that makes trauma likely for both of those, as I intuitively think it would make it easier for the memories to get conflated.

Otherwise, if I have any trauma it would be developmental due to my parents' somewhat dysfunctional relationship (and father's relative absence through most of childhood - away-from-home job, only home for 3 days a month or so since I was about 5 years old), and my mother basically having to raise us like a single mother despite physical disability and childhood issues of her own.

But yeah, I've considered trying therapy. I'm curious. I'm closer to being able to start now than I have been in the past, I think I'll likely pursue it soon. I might try something like BetterHelp first, it sounds like it should help lower the bar-to-entry.
cognitive behavioral therapy-CBT (for adressing the more mental/self talk aspect) - ive personally got great benefit from CBT
depending on you geographical location you can acsess a CBT based online course here
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look!

I've been having the same symptoms lately. I associate it with the onset of a panic attack. It's still new, because a few years ago I suffered a lot of panic attacks but it was different, more drastic.
Hmm, I feel for you, it actually sounds like yours are much more severe as to my knowledge I'm not sure I've ever experienced a panic attack. I'm glad we have this thread to share anything we learn about it along the way, then! :flowers:

Ah, ran across a random "synchronous" reference. Check out what Jordan Peterson says here at about 1:50 :

Okay, I can currently report that while the data is still fresh, it seems that generally the kinds of things Anna Runkle (The Crappy Childhood Fairy youtube channel and website) recommends for emotional dysregulation seem to reduce this feeling.

This has led to a more general thought. In general, these seem to be activities that energize the nervous system (or to be more technical the psycho-neuro-endocrine-(spiritual?) system).
1. exercise (just push ups until my muscles slow down, then maybe a few extra if I feel I've got the spare will; I gotta start minimal, might buy some kettlebells soon)
2. cold shower
3. meaningful conversation with full honesty and potentially high stakes
4. Anna Runkle's writing exercise (it's hard to tell if this helping or how much, but it doesn't hurt, and it's giving my mind things to chew on, coming out of my own head)
5. EE breathing (I've done the breathing, now I'm going to do the writing exercise and use the EE meditation for the meditation portion of Anna Runkle's exercise. It seems like a potentially super-effective and efficient approach.)

In fact, earlier to day, just by remembering the exercise and the cold shower, and thinking about how that probably excited the body and got all the cycles flowing, I was able to imagine opening up my bodily system, and it seemed to diminish that feeling.

And then later for perhaps the first time I had a significant emotional event during EE. Beatha breathing. Not full-on crying, but sort of like sobs without crying, and slight tears. To a degree I sort of "leaned into it" to let it go on as long as it could/needed to, which seemed to have helped.

There were two rounds of that, and it was actually kind of funny to feel and observe how very similar laughing and crying can be.

So for now, perhaps I'll try these things and see where they go.

A further interesting point is that yesterday, as I was reading but occasionally giving some attention to this feeling in my gut, exploring it, twice, a feeling of... something like happiness, came to me and the feeling slightly lessened. Not sure what to make of that, that's new.

[Edit for typos.]

It’s not an optional extra in the luxury package; it’s a feature even the base model gets. Time, knowledge, and general wear and tear tend to diminish the sensitivity. Imagine a future day when you actually find yourself wishing you could get back in touch with the things that seem so overwhelming now.

On the subject of panic attacks, which I'm prone to, and other ailments like migraines, came across this video by Irene Lyon. Short but interesting. I was going through a panic attack of sorts and had all sorts of sensations in my body the other day and a guest facilitated this breathwork practice with me, which was a more involved and prolonged version of bio-energetic breathing and had a number of emotional releases happen during the session. After that, the panic attack was gone entirely. I felt calm and normal again, and that these panic attacks are a reaction to suppressed feelings and emotions just outside conscious awareness that were calling for release and expression.

Back
Top Bottom