Hepatitis C

My brother tried the Ribavirin/Interferon treatment years ago when it was the only one available. Very toxic for 48 weeks and did not work, came out of remission after 12 weeks. Made him very sick and weak. His Hep C counts lowered but were coming back up about 3 years ago. He opted to go for the Harvoni treatment as his health insurance covered most of the treatment. He took it for 8 weeks and it worked with almost no side effects. He was clear of the virus for 2 years while being tested every 3 months, unfortunately he passed away April 1, 2019 from a pulmonary embolism. Harvoni does work and is not very toxic or has bad side effects like earlier treatments. His only other option other than this new treatment would have been a liver transplant. I do know that Harvoni is much less expensive in other countries such as India.

... He was clear of the virus for 2 years while being tested every 3 months, unfortunately he passed away April 1, 2019 from a pulmonary embolism...
This evolution, being cleared from the symptoms of a disease and later getting another worst illness (sorry for your brother by the way, scotseeker), makes me think that similar cases may happen a lot, when not treating the deep causes and getting away from the problem with heavy chemical solutions..
That's one of the reasons I don't like this kind of treatments, even if it seems to work pretty well...

Back
Top Bottom