Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

I looked over at the list again and put it all together (with help of the posts above) if it may help:

Codices Latini Antiquiores – January 1, 1982
by E. A. Lowe

Shijing (this book seems to be 'Library use only' at my library, so it will not enable me to loan it, so if you can get this Shijing that'd be great)

Texts and Transmission: A Survey of the Latin Classics [Hardcover]
Leighton D. Reynolds

Scribd: _http://www.scribd.com/doc/123688314/Leighton-D-Reynolds-Introduction-in-Texts-and-Transmission-A-survey-of-the-Latin-Classics

Classical Influences on European Culture A.D. 500-1500
R. R. Bolgar

Amazon: _http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0521078423/ref=sr_1_1_up_1_har_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391445903&sr=1-1&condition=used

BWB: _http://www.betterworldbooks.com/Classical-Influences-on-European-Culture-A-D-500-1500-H0.aspx?SearchTerm=Classical+Influences+on+European+Culture+A.D.+500-1500

Books known to Anglo-Latin writers from Aldhelm to Alcuin (670-804) (The Mediaeval Academy of America. Studies and documents) Unknown Binding by J. D. A Ogilvy

Amazon: _http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00085B9QQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1391446609&sr=8-1&keywords=Books+known+to+Anglo-Latin+writers+from+Aldhelm+to+Alcuin+%28670-804%29&condition=used

BWB: _http://www.betterworldbooks.com/books-known-to-anglo-latin-writers-from-aldhelm-to-alcuin-670-804-the-mediaeval-academy-of-america-id-bwb509021.aspx

Text and Transmission in Medieval Europe [Hardcover] Chris Bishop (Author)

Amazon: _http://www.amazon.fr/Transmission-Medieval-Europe-Chris-Bishop/dp/184718314X/ref=sr_1_2?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391548436&sr=1-2&keywords=Text+and+Transmission+in+Medieval+Europe

Historical Writing in England: 550 - 1307 and 1307 to the Early Sixteenth Century [Hardcover]
Antonia Gransden (Author)

Can anyone find this one (in red)?

Visigothic Spain 409 - 711 [Hardcover]
Roger Collins (Author)

PDF: _ftp://istorichka.ru/upload/Goths/Visigothic%20Spain%20409%20-%20711%20(A%20History%20of%20Spain).pdf

Amazon: _http://www.amazon.fr/Visigothic-Spain-409-Roger-Collins/dp/1405149663/ref=sr_1_1?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391457772&sr=1-1&keywords=visigothic+spain+roger

Visigothic Spain: New Approaches [Anglais] [Relié]
Edward James (Sous la direction de)

Amazon: _http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0198225431/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1391548198&sr=1-1
70E so still kinda expensive, Bo and I will try to get this one.

The Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow [Anglais] [Relié]
Christopher Grocock (Sous la direction de), I. N. Wood (Sous la direction de)

Shijing

Medieval European Coinage: Volume 1, The Early Middle Ages (5th-10th Centuries) [Anglais] [Broché]
Philip Grierson (Auteur), Mark Blackburn

Bo & Oxajil

Dawn of the Written Vernacular in Western Europe [Broché]
M. Goyens (Sous la direction de), W. Verbeke (Sous la direction de), Mich Le Goyens (Sous la direction de)

Bo & Oxajil

Oxajil said:
Shijing (this book seems to be 'Library use only' at my library, so it will not enable me to loan it, so if you can get this Shijing that'd be great)

Sure -- I should be stopping by the library sometime later this week, so I'll look it up and see what I can find out about it. Thanks for consolidating this Oxajil!

Historical Writing in England: 550 - 1307 and 1307 to the Early Sixteenth Century [Hardcover] Antonia Gransden (Author)
_http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/sortby/3/an/Antonia+Gransden+/tn/+Historical+Writing
_http://www.questia.com/read/109077534/historical-writing-in-england

Antonia Gransden's book is available both on amazon.de and amazon.co.uk, quite a bit cheaper on amazon.de though:

_http://www.amazon.de/Historical-Writing-England-Sixteenth-Century/dp/0415152372/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391583665&sr=8-1&keywords=antonia+gransden

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Historical-Writing-England-Sixteenth-Century/dp/0415152372/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391583699&sr=8-4&keywords=antonia+gransden

Then there's also this - it's only 648 pages instead of 1332 pages, condensed version maybe or only part of the book?

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hist-Writing-In-England-C550/dp/041560446X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391583699&sr=8-1&keywords=antonia+gransden

I've ordered these:

Visigothic Spain 409 - 711
de Roger Collins
EUR 43,90

Text and Transmission in Medieval Europe
de Chris Bishop
EUR 43,59

Books known to Anglo-Latin writers from Aldhelm to Alcuin (670-804) (The Mediaeval Academy of America. Studies and documents) - J. D. A Ogilvy; Unknown Binding
$49.96
Condition: Used - Good

Classical Influences on European Culture A.D. 500-1500
Bolgar, R. R.

I don't have a scribd account for Texts and Transmission: A Survey of the Latin Classics and maybe I won't need it with the other ones.

Right about now, as I'm finishing "Scribes and Scholars: A guide to the transmission of Greek and Latin Literature", I'm seeing that there are some really suspicious things. I'm not quite going along with Fomenko, that 1100 years of history was made up and "inserted" into our timeline, but it seems that at least 300 years was inserted, and not all in one sequence.

I already suspect who did stuff and when and why, I just need to see if there are any more bits of evidence that can support my ideas about it.

History is one heck of a Matrioshka doll. You have to deal with the history itself, then the history of the historiographers, then the history of the texts written by same, and the "hidden history" that is going on behind the written history, the psychology of the whole mess, and a history of history itself, especially concerning how we, in our times, understand it and how it gets worked out. In all of this, I just want, fer gawd's sake, a few items of hard facts, hard dates, archaeologically or cosmologically confirmable events.

I'm not entirely sure how to deal with this. Tree rings and ice cores are "matched" to historical years and the assumption that our history is "so many years." So, counting back from now, Baillie's 1014 AD event, i.e. "the largest ammonium signal in the Greenland ice in the last two millennia" happened 999 years ago (i.e. 999 tree rings or ice core years in the past). And the 540 event happened 1473 years ago. But if 300 years of fake history was added to the historical timeline, that means that the dates of those events would be different (as we arbitrarily measure them by convention. They would not be closer in ABSOLUTE time, but they would be dated differently in conventional time.

In terms of conventional time, we have the problem of the BC/AD split and when and how that was applied to our dating terms. If we lop the 300 years off, we are in the year 1713 right now, and 999 years ago was the year 714 AD. And then, that puts the 540 AD event at 240 AD. That is actually helpful in a way because Ammianus (325/330–after 391) speaks of "the devastation of Gaul" that happened earlier and was probably described in his earlier "missing books". His work chronicled from 96 to 378 according to our convention, although only the sections covering the period 353–378 survive. So his actual history of the times of interest here just happens to be missing.

What some people do is count things BP, Before Present, though that can get iffy when you write about something BP, and then someone reads what you wrote 10 or a 100 years later at which point BP has changed. (Then you would always have to keep in mind the date of writing.)

I think it would be far more useful to be able to have a few hooks to hang historical things on, like "the Destruction of Rome by cometary bombardment" which may match that strongest ice core event that is now dated to 1014 AD.

Laura said:
If we lop the 300 years off, we are in the year 1713 right now, and 999 years ago was the year 714 AD.

Wow, it is really weird to think that we could be on the 18th century.

Gaby said:
Laura said:
If we lop the 300 years off, we are in the year 1713 right now, and 999 years ago was the year 714 AD.

I hope that means that comets will not come within the next 300 years. :)

Persej said:
Gaby said:
Laura said:

I hope that means that comets will not come within the next 300 years. :)

It actually makes it worse. It means they come more often and the schedule is more regular.

I don't know if there are some good elements in the following article from the French SOTT, but it seems that there were some confusion about the counting of years right after the Roman empire destruction (years counted according to consuls) and the christianisation of the calendar: http://fr.sott.net/article/13628-Sommes-nous-en-2010-apres-la-fondation-de-Rome
The 800 years result from an attempt to supperpose the black death with Justinian plague, but some elements can maybe be used for a more correct sequence of events.

mkrnhr said:
The 800 years result from an attempt to supperpose the black death with Justinian plague, but some elements can maybe be used for a more correct sequence of events.

FWIW, playing with years, including 300 added years somewhere between 600 AD and 1000 AD, and bubonic plague pandemics, gives cca 500 years between each of pandemics.
  • mid 500s AD - Justinian plague
  • mid 1300s AD - black death
  • mid 1800s AD - third pandemic according to wikipedia _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_plague_pandemic
Interesting thing is that, again according to wikipedia, all three pandemics originated from Asia (China and Mongolia).

If there is some connection between pandemics, like in cycles related with arrival of comets, then there should be some "event" around mid first century AD...

edit: I'm not familiar with such event, but if there is some connection with supposed place of origin, it could easily be that something happened then in East Asia and just didn't get to the Europe.

Oxajil said:
by E. A. Lowe

I was able to stop by the library today and look this up. Despite the fact that the online system lists six volumes available, only two were in the location the call number showed (volume 6: France: Abbeville-Valenciennes, and volume 10: Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Egypt and Holland). The volumes themselves are oversize (about one foot by two feet), but I checked them out just in case -- if there is anything specific to look for in them, I'll do my best to see what I can find.

Oxajil said:

Shijing

I made an interlibrary loan request for this yesterday -- I'll give an update when it arrives.

That's great Shijing! I got these from the library yesterday:

Visigothic Spain: New Approaches [Anglais] [Relié]
Edward James (Sous la direction de)

Medieval European Coinage: Volume 1, The Early Middle Ages (5th-10th Centuries) [Anglais] [Broché]
Philip Grierson (Auteur), Mark Blackburn

Dawn of the Written Vernacular in Western Europe [Broché]
M. Goyens (Sous la direction de), W. Verbeke (Sous la direction de), Mich Le Goyens (Sous la direction de)

Mal7 said:
That book's in my local university library. Given the price of the book and the shortness of the article, it almost seems like it would be fair use to photocopy the whole article?

Yea, a lot of people do that for study purposes, I can say so as a student. Especially if it's just some pages from a book.

Shijing said:
Oxajil said:
by E. A. Lowe

I was able to stop by the library today and look this up. Despite the fact that the online system lists six volumes available, only two were in the location the call number showed (volume 6: France: Abbeville-Valenciennes, and volume 10: Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Egypt and Holland). The volumes themselves are oversize (about one foot by two feet), but I checked them out just in case -- if there is anything specific to look for in them, I'll do my best to see what I can find.

Don't worry about that one since I now know what it is about and it is not necessary for my purposes. That level of detailed examination won't help with the issues. I've got enough descriptive material coming in that I can forego that.

Shijing said:
Oxajil said:

Shijing

I made an interlibrary loan request for this yesterday -- I'll give an update when it arrives.

This one might be useful.

"The Anglo-Saxon library" arrived today, and I'm a few pages away from finishing "Scribes and Scholars" and have a pretty good handle on the transmission of texts and their authenticity. What I'm trying to find are specific clues about specific texts, particularly John Malalas and Procopius.

Saša said:
FWIW, playing with years, including 300 added years somewhere between 600 AD and 1000 AD, and bubonic plague pandemics, gives cca 500 years between each of pandemics.
  • mid 500s AD - Justinian plague
  • mid 1300s AD - black death
  • mid 1800s AD - third pandemic according to wikipedia _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_plague_pandemic
If there is some connection between pandemics, like in cycles related with arrival of comets, then there should be some "event" around mid first century AD...

Playing with numbers (it's fun although a better assessment of the events must be done):
If the destruction of Rome occurred in ~1014 but misdated to 534
If the black death was correctly dated in ~1348
If again the great comet of 1680-1681 was correctly dated,
Then we could be in some really dire straits :D

mkrnhr said:
Playing with numbers (it's fun although a better assessment of the events must be done):
If the destruction of Rome occurred in ~1014 but misdated to 534
If the black death was correctly dated in ~1348
If again the great comet of 1680-1681 was correctly dated,
Then we could be in some really dire straits :D

Thing is, we can note the number of years between events by ice-cores and tree-rings. What I think was happening was that years were added to "pad" the history of Christianity to give it more "authority" and make it seem like a safe refuge from catastrophe.

I was reading the paper mkrnr found and translated for me today and even if the guy doesn't realize that it's really about REPEATING, CYCLIC disasters, he had some good insights.

Examples: 1) his remark that Christianity could NOT have been imposed without a cataclysm... a religion of fear and constant prayer toward a fearful god; 2) his conjecture about the slaves in Alexandria reading the Septuagint. Put that together with the cult of Caesar and you have a volatile mix, especially among Jews and slaves mixed. It's probably in that milieu that gnosticism had its greatest development.

Anyway, while I was sitting at the table reading, and some of the numbers he was tossing out were popping up and down in my head, I made a little diagram at the bottom of the page. I've scanned it and attached as PDF to this post so you can see what I'm thinking.

I think that there were something like 300 years between events and since those guys playing with history and stuff were also into numerology, it would be entirely their style to add deal with the historical prestidigitation this way. It was funny that, in order to make it work, I had to add 141 years of "historical expansion" to two periods which is about how much things are off. Interestingly, 141 adds up to 6 and 3 such periods would be 666. And then, two of the 333 year periods, which is how the numbers sorted from 540 to 1014 to 1347 - three known events - add up to 666.

Anyway, take a look at how I was playing with it.

Attachments

• post-impact_Rome.pdf
    539.4 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom