How settler farmers fathered Europe's males

Biomiast

Jedi Master
Hi to all,

I am not a big fan of genetic analysis of ancestry, I think there are too many variables that people don't take into account, yet for those of you who are interested, I found this article. It mentions how hunter-gatherers in Europe are replaced by farmers from Anatolia based on current haplotypes of European males. It seems to me this is the event which introduced war and pathology to Europe.

They came, they saw, they farmed and then they stole our women. Stone age farmers from the middle east not only brought their agricultural know-how with them to western Europe, they settled down with the local womenfolk and had children.

A genetic analysis of present-day male Europeans has revealed that the first farmers spread both their agricultural technology and their genes across the continent, out-competing the resident hunter-gatherer males for female attraction.

The spread of agriculture from the fertile crescent of the Middle East to Europe was one of the most important cultural developments in the history of the continent. An agricultural way of life boosted the human population and allowed the establishment of urban centres and the rise of civilisation.

Until about 10,000 years ago, Europeans hunted wild animals and gathered whatever fruit and berries they could find. These paleolithic hunter gatherers created cave art drawings such as those at Lascaux in France, yet they were unable to build the cities and generate the art and culture that came with the boost in food production resulting from an agricultural way of life.

But scholars were not sure whether the transition from hunter-gatherer to farmer was the result of the passing of technological know-how from the middle east to people already living in Europe, or whether it was introduced by the actual migration of farmers across the continent, from Turkey to Ireland.

The study found that the spread of farming know-how coincided with the migration of farmers, which can be still be detected by analysing the DNA of the male Y chromosome of present-day male Europeans. The analysis shows that the Y chromosome, which is passed down from father to son, of most European men is descended from the Y chromosome of neolithic farmers who moved into Europe between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago.

However, a similar analysis of the mitochondrial DNA, which is only passed down the maternal line from mothers to their children, indicates that most European women are descended from the female hunter-gatherers who had lived in Europe long before the arrival of the first farmers, according to the study, published in the on-line journal Plos Biology.

“We found that farmers migrated from Anatolia [in Turkey] and that they have been very successful because they probably dominated the hunter-gatherer population by transmitting their genes more efficiently,” said Patricia Balaresque of Leicester University.

“In total, this means that more than 80 per cent of European Y chomosomes descend from incoming farmers. In contrast, most maternal genetic lineages seem to descend from hunter-gatherers. To us, this suggests a reproductive advantage for farming males over indigenous hunter-gatherer males during the switch from hunting and gathering to farming – maybe, back then, it was just sexier to be a farmer,” Dr Balaresque said.

The study investigated a particular form of the Y chomosome carried by 110 million men of European descent. The variation in this chromosome follows a gradient from south-east to north-west, the direction of the migration.

http://news.independentminds.livejournal.com/5659027.html

Hi Biomiast --

Interesting article -- have you seen this mentioned anywhere else? I'm curious about both the method as well as what the specific haplogroup is that is being correlated with the invading farming population.

Shijing said:
Hi Biomiast --

Interesting article -- have you seen this mentioned anywhere else? I'm curious about both the method as well as what the specific haplogroup is that is being correlated with the invading farming population.

Hi Shijing,

You can read the full article here for free:

A Predominantly Neolithic Origin for European Paternal Lineages, Patricia Balaresque et. al.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2799514/?tool=pmcentrez

I am not sure if this answers your question, because I am not familiar with this kind of research, but here is what I found about haplogroups in the article:

This approach has been applied to haplogroups E, J [12], and I [13] within Europe, but the major western European lineage has not yet been focused upon. The frequency of the major western European lineage, haplogroup (hg) R1b1b2, follows a cline from 12% in Eastern Turkey to 85% in Ireland, and is currently carried by some 110 million European men.

Biomiast said:
You can read the full article here for free:

A Predominantly Neolithic Origin for European Paternal Lineages, Patricia Balaresque et. al.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2799514/?tool=pmcentrez

OK, I appreciate you posting it here, and I will take a look.

Biomiast said:
I am not sure if this answers your question, because I am not familiar with this kind of research, but here is what I found about haplogroups in the article:

This approach has been applied to haplogroups E, J [12], and I [13] within Europe, but the major western European lineage has not yet been focused upon. The frequency of the major western European lineage, haplogroup (hg) R1b1b2, follows a cline from 12% in Eastern Turkey to 85% in Ireland, and is currently carried by some 110 million European men.

Yes, that's what I was wondering about. I've been doing some side-research on these haplogroups lately because I want to eventually frame a question for the C's around it, but I want to do my homework first. They are looking at haplogroup R here, and that's what I wanted to know.

I just ran across another article that interlocks with the one above:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122944258

For Cave Women, Farmers Had Extra Sex Appeal

by Richard Harris

January 25, 2010

Can a man's technology make him more attractive to women? A new study says it can. But before you run out and upgrade your smart phone, take note.

The technology in this story includes stone axes and other basic tools of agriculture. And the smitten women are the hunter-gatherers of prehistoric Europe. Those technologies were not simply cutting edge about 10,000 years ago; they were revolutionary.

"You can regard it as the most important cultural change in the history of modern humans," says Prof. Mark Jobling at the University of Leicester in England. "It allowed people to generate their own food, and populations to grow and society to become specialized."

It was the foundation of modern civilization and so there's a big scientific push to understand just how agriculture spread from where it originated, which was in present-day Turkey and Iraq.

Evidence Of Migration Comes From Genetics

Over about 4,000 years, these transforming technologies moved west, throughout all of Europe. The question is whether the ideas swept the continent, or whether the farmers actually moved.

"We certainly know that technology moved," Jobling says. "The evidence of whether the people moved has come from genetic research in modern populations."

And that brings us to the story of the guys with their agricultural know-how. To track their movements, Jobling and his colleagues have been tracing the genetics of the Y chromosome, which is passed only from father to son.

His new study, in the journal PLoS Biology, concludes that farming men did, indeed, move from the Fertile Crescent, in the Near East, to all of Europe.

But here's the strange part. He did not see that pattern of westward movement in women, when he looked at genes handed down exclusively from mothers.

"Some people think well, one of them must be wrong. They've got to be the same," Jobling says. "But our view really is, why should they be, because they reflect the different sexes." And men and women don't behave in exactly the same way.

European Women Welcomed Farmers With Open Arms

In this case, Jobling sees a few possible explanations. He says maybe only farming men went west to seek their fortunes, leaving the farming women behind. And as they moved west, the men made families with the hunter-gatherer women.

But more likely, he says, is that "as the populations expanded from the Near East they contained men and women. But then the indigenous people, the hunter-gatherers who were already in Europe, the women were incorporated into these societies and had offspring."

Men can have more kids than women, presuming they aren't monogamous. So their genes would spread much faster than the genes of any women who were traveling with them. And it seems the women in Europe welcomed the farmers with open arms.

In fact, the finding implies that the hunter-gatherer men of Europe were the real losers here. They couldn't compete with the Johnnies-come-lately who knew how to grow grain and tend animals. So their genes faded from the population.

The result is the genetic pattern we see in many Europeans today: male genes from farmers who hailed from the Near East, and female genes mostly from women who had been hunter-gatherers in Europe after the last Ice Age.

Technology Can Make You More Attractive

So, to the punch line: Does technology make men more sexy?

"That would be one way to interpret it," says Peter Underhill at Stanford University. But it's not necessarily just sex appeal at work; it "might be in terms of not just physical appearance but also in terms of ability to provide for offspring."

So the farmer's daughters and sons would have more to eat, and therefore would be more likely to survive — and spread their genes to future generations. Underhill says the British study makes a pretty strong case for that.

Michael Hammer from the University of Arizona has found the same sort of story in how agriculture spread in both Africa and Japan. "The Y chromosome shows a very clear pattern, that looks like it's reflecting the spread of agriculture into Japan, starting about 2,100 to 2,300 years ago," he says.

And once again, it appears the men moved in on a population of women and outcompeted the men who where there already. So, assuming these scientists are reading the genes right, technology really can make a guy more attractive.

In light of all we know about agriculture (and the gluten that goes with it), this is kind of interesting as far as who was spreading the agricultural practices to whom, and where they originated.

Have you read "The Origins of the British" by Stephen Oppenheimer? Even though he focuses on the British, in order to do that, he had to follow the European DNA trails.

See: http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/stephenoppenheimer/origins_of_the_british.html
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Oppenheimer
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2006/10/mythsofbritishancestry/

Laura said:
Have you read "The Origins of the British" by Stephen Oppenheimer? Even though he focuses on the British, in order to do that, he had to follow the European DNA trails.

See: http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/stephenoppenheimer/origins_of_the_british.html
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Oppenheimer
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2006/10/mythsofbritishancestry/

I haven't, but I'll take a look at the links and see what I can dig up on the book when I get home later today -- thanks for the suggestions!

Addendum: OK, I have it requested through interlibrary loan, and I'm looking forward to taking a look at it when it comes.

Back
Top Bottom