How to block Ads on facebook and other products

You can download adblock for Safari (Mac) and it is working fine too... It is available on cnet and other places.

I run adblock , disconnectme and privacyfix. They are available as plugins for FF and Chrome, maybe others but I tend not to use Safari on Mac or IE (shiver) on Win 7/XP.
I won't put links.

Gandalf said:
Someone on Worldtruth gave a link yesterday for an add-ons (for Firefox) which blocks the tons of ads that we have on facebook and other products.

Here's the link: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Here is another add-on and three extensions that can be helpful in similar ways.

The NoScript add-on blocks JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins unless you authorize / whitelist them. Get it via the Tools -> Add-ons menu in Firefox, or it can be downloaded from http://noscript.net.

Three Disconnect extensions allow you to selectively block or enable requests from Facebook, Google and Twitter, and they are named just as you might expect - Facebook Disconnect, Google Disconnect and Twitter Disconnect. These place little icons on the right-hand side of the address bar in Firefox when a webpage contains requests, and you can click on each icon to enable or block the requests. If you have Google Disconnect loaded, you have to unblock Google requests to view Youtube videos, for example. Your enable or block choices persist over browser sessions, I believe.

I don't use AdBlock or NoScript because I'm not particularly paranoid about drive-by malware, since I run Linux, which is pretty secure, and don't visit a lot of dodgy websites down the back alleys of the internet. But I do have the Disconnect extensions because I do not want to be tracked, especially by Facebook.

I also have firewall rules that drop unsolicited traffic from websites, but that's beyond the scope here.

Guardian said:
Gandalf said:
Same thing for me; Windows 7 and Firefox 20,0.

And I just have a look at it when on Worltruth and the add-ons is active.

That's weird. The minute I enable Adblock, all the drop down menus on WT stop working?

I figured out the conflict...because it was driving me nuts. I have another add-on called "Privacy Fix"

The problem with the WT drop down menus occurs when I have BOTH Ad-block and Privacy Fix running. If I disable either one, the other works fine with WT, but if both are enabled at the same time, the drop down menus cease to function.

Guardian said:
Guardian said:
Gandalf said:
Same thing for me; Windows 7 and Firefox 20,0.

And I just have a look at it when on Worltruth and the add-ons is active.

That's weird. The minute I enable Adblock, all the drop down menus on WT stop working?

I figured out the conflict...because it was driving me nuts. I have another add-on called "Privacy Fix"

The problem with the WT drop down menus occurs when I have BOTH Ad-block and Privacy Fix running. If I disable either one, the other works fine with WT, but if both are enabled at the same time, the drop down menus cease to function.

Happy to see that you have figured it out. :thup:

Back
Top Bottom