How to eat paleo/keto and gain weight?

Fester said:
Thanx all :)

You're right, I know I shouldn't be drinking beer. It's hard to say no to a free one, tho :evil:

Well then, learning to say No to a free one, not only will it help your health, but it will also help you work on the underlining program there. See what emotions come up when you say No to a free beer. It will be an interesting observation.

Fester said:
A year to put on some weight, huh.... sounds reasonable.

Like as I said, with the daily fat-bomb, it took about 2 months for me to gain 5 kg. So it doesn't have to be a year if you are doing it correctly :)

luc said:
Carlisle said:
COLD SHOWERS?!!? :scared: nooooooooooo.....

:-[

I love hot water, but cold water I'm like a cat to any water :rolleyes:

However, I know I gotta stop being such a p... uh, wimp, grow a pair and just do it. I know I can get used to it, I've done it before. Before I knew it has health benefits.

It is awful at first, and only gets marginally better. Still, it's totally worth doing, even as just an exercise in discipline :).

You can try deep belly breathing and conscious relaxation of the muscles while doing the cold shower. It really helps me to control the "flight reflex". With this method I can stay under the cold shower for a longer time - when I do it right, I sometimes don't feel the cold at all! I must admit though that it doesn't always work, especially in winter, since the body really tends to switch to panic mode and hyperventilation when the water is really cold :O I wouldn't want to miss the cold shower, it really seems to help in many ways.

Adding to others' comments on cold showers: I agree that cold showers are very helpful, both in boosting energy levels and in improving mental clarity, along with toning down internal mind chatter, as well as helping in detoxing the body. As for the initial resistance to the coldness, it seems to me that this might just be a mental construct formed via habit, and that if you don't identify with these thoughts, you can then go into just sensing how your body is actually responding to what is happening and that the interpretation of 'cold is unpleasant' can be uncoupled this way, next to realizing that it's really just a narrative of sorts. But yes, it does take training indeed! :P

You can approach cold showers in small steps. Start with warm water, then after a while turn it a little colder and stay with it for a while, and breathe yourself through it until the colder temperature feels ok to your body (that actually does happen! ;)). Then, turn it a little colder again, stay with it, breathe yourself through it until accustomed to the new temperature. And then repeat, until you reach the coldest temperature. That can take days or weeks depending on the individual.

The cold water will after some time make your body itself generate heat and then you don't feel the cold anymore, and in my experience, once I'd grown accustomed to the cold showers, the body actually starts craving/demanding it, and warm water will even feel unpleasant and somehow 'off', for lack of a better description. Further, if you don't have a water filter for your shower, the warm water opens your skin's pores and all the toxic chemicals in the tap water can enter your bloodstream very easily - so that might be another convincing benefit there.

RedFox said:
Also being skinny I still haven't worked this on out, but I can echo what the others have said - it's about being healthy more than anything.
Having said that, a few things do seem to help. Firstly being properly keto adapted (limited/no carbs, limited protein, lots of fat) helps a lot. Add to that the high intensity exercise, cold showers and occasional intermittent fasting - all of those actually seem to increase weight a little.

Recently i have just began exactly as RedFox has spoke about.
At 6,1 ive always been between 10-11 stone and maintained my weight to around the low end of 10st when i shifted into paleo/keto.
Recently i broke my Tibia and was basically bed bound for around 2months, putting me at just below 9st and leaving my leg completely wasted away.
So now that my leg is healed, i began to gain some muscle as an experiment for myself within the keto diet. To see if it was now possible :huh:
Purchased myself a barbell and some squat stands, as i hate the idea and energy within a gym. Peacock muscles have never been my interest - so i did some research into crossfit and the olympic weightlifting that focused on core and natural body lifts really caught my attention.

Doing just the common lifts such as deadlifts,squats,rows etc. this has boosted not only my weight and muscle tone but also my energy levels. I do a week of intermittent fasting every 3 weeks (16/8) as my alternating work schedule is a little complicated. But the energy i have while on the fasting week is pretty incredible, this is when i can be most bothered to do exercise and when i feel the least stressful altogether.

Exercising prior to breaking fast has always caught my eye as it feels asif you are working for that meal.

Even when exercising it doesnt seem like we need to up our protein amount much, just slightly more to satisfy after exercise and the rest, for me, is all fat (Fat bomb is just to easy now :D).

In regards to the cold showers, which are for sure BEAUTIFUL after a workout, personally ive found this to relieve DOMS significantly and really calms the body down after exercise.

My broken leg is now almost on pare with the other, but in all honesty i have no desire to jump back on the scales - its no importance to me how much weight i have on... As everyone has stated: Its about how you feel.
To conclude, if i had the available time/schedule i would intermittent fast alot more while continuing to exercise as this is when i definitely feel the peak of energy, better 'gains' (oh do i hate that term! :mad:) and the cleanest in body and mind.

Alana said:
I also noticed the paradoxical thing, that by eating carbs I don't gain weight at all. So, if by the sounds of it you have a similar metabolism as me, eat your meat, go for a fat bomb cup a day, get rid of sugars and beer, go as low as you can on the carb intake in general, and do some weight-lifting exercise (or house/yard work). That ought to do it. IT worked for me and it was by accident, I had stopped hoping to get some weight by that time, because nothing in the past ever worked. Good luck!

This was exactly the same for me, I've always been the tall-skinny type. Once I was fully keto adapted, completely gluten/grain free and forgot about the goal of gaining weight/muscle, it begun to happen naturally. That coupled with the odd bit of high intensity exercise and fat bombs worked far better than any sort of weight-gainer rubbish ever did. :)

I can echo what others have said. I have always been quite skinny as I was vegetarian for most of my life, and when I first went paleo/keto my weight levels dropped even further. But I realised it was because I was not eating enough FAT! :evil:

As soon as I upped the fat to around 250-300g a day my weight shot up! Also began to exercise every day/other day - doing around 120 pressups and 30-60 bicep curls. Now I no longer feel brittle and thin, and a powerful workout followed by a 7°C shower provides you with a real immune boost that you can feel! So once you are properly keto-adapted (if you aren't already), things should start to improve.

Best of luck Fester, and let us know how you get on.

I was always skinny. Being on keto for few years now, last summer i managed to gain few kilos of weight by just eating more fat bombs - 3 per day (100g fat each). But it was summer, i didn't do cold showers and i exercised very little. Now i still don't do cold showers but ride bike or run in this warm winter and lost weight, although i eat at least 300g fat per day and about 100g meat. C's said we just need to eat more fat to gain some body fat, that's true, but so difficult to manage. I can barely digest early enough to get sleep in the night, starting early with breakfast.

osher said:
i eat at least 300g fat per day and about 100g meat.
I overestimated, should be "at least 250g fat" (2 fat bombs plus fatty meat portion) or even less, cause sometimes it's only 1 fat bomb plus more fatty meat. Anyway, more fat is needed. Sorry for confusion.
so difficult to manage
* to achieve

I'm not sure about this after a recent C's session on how ketogenic diets are not for everyone. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and my weight has only been + or - 5 lbs. (175 cm, 68kg with +-2kg).

I am not even sure if cold showers help our types. Supposedly cold showers help create brown fat which helps burn more calories. Do we really need more if we can't gain weight?

Laura said:
(L) Okay, hold on now. I'm gonna have a little change of topic here. There's a question that we received from a forum member.

(Chu) "l apprenti de forgeron" on the forum.

(L) Okay, we have an individual who wrote:

"Since more than eight months ago I am in the hands of doctors who cannot detect what is my problem. Personally I think it may be something like inflammation in the bowel, such as Crohn's disease. Interestingly, these discomforts have started when I really started to follow a ketogenic diet, and as you have reported, can lead to changes in DNA... Therefore, I wonder if I experienced a DNA that has become a problem due to "the animal ancestor", which does not let me adapt to the diet? [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2937711/Neanderthals-suffered-psoriasis-DNA-study-suggests-ancient-human-cousins-suffered-modern-diseases.html]
Could you ask to the C's for a simple diagnostic to do something about it?"

(L) Is there something that you can say to this individual?

A: For many, the transition in diet is either not possible due to epigenetic factors, or must be undertaken very, very slowly. For some, the requirements for carbohydrates is higher. They need to fulfill this need as safely as possible. In this case, the individual has intuited the relationship and should do some experimental adjustments adding root type vegetables and some greens and berries.

Q: (L) What you're saying, I think, is that for some people, transitioning to functioning on ketones is much more difficult for a variety of reasons?

A: Yes

Q: (L) So, the ketogenic diet is not ultimately desirable for everyone?

A: No

Q: (Galatea) But then that also leads to the question about how being on a ketogenic diet helps you evolve and raise your FRV, and make you super-smart and strong?

(Chu) The path to transformation and all that...

(L) Are you saying that the people who can't do the ketogenic diet that they...

(Galatea) They can't evolve, or they can do it another way?

A: It is helpful to evolving and FRV for those who require it. For some, it is required that they follow an adjacent plan. There is a great range of individual types. As you may have noticed, the ketogenic path is very difficult and a challenge even for the people it is right for. Some others have a bit more leeway and less struggle. And in answer to your next question, indeed there is something like karma involved.

Q: (L) So are you suggesting that those of us who need the ketogenic diet have karma to pay off? That we're being tortured? [laughter] We were gluttons in past lives or something?

A: Close enough! But aren't you glad that a path is available?

Divide By Zero said:
I'm not sure about this after a recent C's session on how ketogenic diets are not for everyone. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and my weight has only been + or - 5 lbs. (175 cm, 68kg with +-2kg).

I am not even sure if cold showers help our types. Supposedly cold showers help create brown fat which helps burn more calories. Do we really need more if we can't gain weight?

I have put on some pounds and my diet hasn't really changed that much since I started doing keto. I thought that eating more fat would bring more weight, but what I did was to reduce the number of meals to two per day (9AM and 6PM). Also, some other members have reported that doing some yoga or exercise actually help the skinny types to regain some kilos.

What kind of fat bombs do you use that made considerable weight gain?, I found some recipes on net, and what about keto fruits beside avocados? Most advices are based o doubling intake of what you eat,if two eggs then four, etc... but it s of course strain on budget but I know it dependes plenty on genetics.

I use this recipe for fat bomb:
1 egg yolk + coconut oil (virgin) 1 teaspoon + ghee butter 2 teaspoons. You can also add olive oil

Corvinus said:
What kind of fat bombs do you use that made considerable weight gain?, I found some recipes on net, and what about keto fruits beside avocados? Most advices are based o doubling intake of what you eat,if two eggs then four, etc... but it s of course strain on budget but I know it dependes plenty on genetics.

There is a recipe section on this board and there have been different recipes given for various flavors of Fat Bombs. I don't know if the below is the only thread on it, but here it is:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35043.0.html

Back
Top Bottom