How to prepare for the coming Ice Age?

Hi Oxajil, for good coats I would like to recommend The North Face, Tenson, Arc'teryx and Mammut. Just go with whatever high-tec stuff is on sale. Shoes, I really love all my Merrells, please do try this amazing brand, Lowa is also very good for the female foot. Meindl is great but probably doesn't suit your feet. Check Bever and Perry! X

If you're not concerned about making a fashion statement, Soral or Kodiak boots are fantastic. I had a pair of Kodiaks (men's size 6) when I lived in Canada. It was the same sort the oil riggers used. Add a good felt sole liner and your feet will be toasty. They are pricey, but you'll wear them forever. These are rated -30°C / -22°F

Hi Oxajil

This year I am also looking for a jacket for winter/ice age. I've watched quite a few videos on youtube and it's mainly about the layers you have on and what material the jacket is made of.

Finally today I checked that I got a voucher from my company and bought a set for heavy winter form -10C to -20C / -30C also suitable for normal winter 0C to -10C (I happened to have the pos you gave in the back of my head and saw it at night).

I bought on the Polish site Decathlona - I came to the conclusion that there is a lot of reviews for most of the products, users often describe how the shoes performed in weather such as 300km in winter through the snow at -10 degrees to get to the top of the mountain.

Maybe someone will find this description useful

1) Warm hiking socks for adults SH500 U-WARM half high 2 pairs 14 euro or at polish site 50zł
2) Warm and waterproof hiking boots for men SH500 U-warm leather 80 euro or at polish site 350zł (Comfort temperature measured at rest: -10°C in motion: -19°C.) From the descriptions it seems that they are strong and do not wear out + can go through the snow in the mountains- the price is very accessible as for boots for a serious winter - there are also much more expensive - I encourage you to search on decathlon and check the comments of users to the product.
3) Winter hiking parka WTP - SH500 Ultra-WARM -20°C - men's 120 euro or at polish site 450zł
And one more thing - when you're buying shoes remember to take 0,5 or 1 size bigger for socks + when you're going down the "hills" not to rub your toes + heels.
Sample comment:
Jacket extra - urbane - slightly tapered at the waist so I don't look like a sack in it.
The jacket is very warm, I wear only a T-shirt and at minus 20 a light sweater.
Pros:
- appearance
- quality
- rainproof
- mega warm
- many pockets
Minuses :
- a bit heavy
- difficult to grab the zipper on the right side due to stiffness
4) Water-repellent warm hiking pants with gaiters men SH520 X-WARM STRETCH 60 Euro or at polish site 250 zł

Of course, it is still worth buying thermoactive leggings and fleece under the jacket,
For this set is missing:
- a mouth ointment to protect against the cold
- sunglasses
- crampons for your boots
- A "sled" for carrying things
- gloves and a hat

There are so many options!
I think this is an important choice to make.
So for snow boots, there are these three famous brands, Sorel, Kamik, and Baffin.
I used Baffin at one point, except that they were too warm for the winter temperatures in France.
Whatever the quality of the shoes, the socks that go with them are important, for me merino socks are my choice.
For the winter coat, I'm mostly on the move, so I chose a layered option that I can take off and put back on depending on my needs and the weather.
For example I have merino underwear like Icebreaker, a light or heavy fleece like Patagonia, and then the outer layer, either a windbreaker, or a softshell like Mountain Hardwear.
So I think whatever technical jacket you choose, it will have more or less these qualities of insulation layers, so maybe the outer layer is important to consider for its capabilities against wind, rain, and snow, because if this first outer layer does not do its job well enough, the technical qualities of the other inner layers will lose their effectiveness.
It's definitely worth considering and investing in something that will follow you like your shadow.

I think this is an important choice to make.
So for snow boots, there are these three famous brands, Sorel, Kamik, and Baffin.
I used Baffin at one point, except that they were too warm for the winter temperatures in France.
Whatever the quality of the shoes, the socks that go with them are important, for me merino socks are my choice.
Ditto.
For the winter coat, I'm mostly on the move, so I chose a layered option that I can take off and put back on depending on my needs and the weather.
For example I have merino underwear like Icebreaker, a light or heavy fleece like Patagonia, and then the outer layer, either a windbreaker, or a softshell like Mountain Hardwear.
Ditto,
In my case, icebreaker underwear, and Aclima, a light or heavy fleece by Paramo or Wolfskin, and an outer layer by RAB, PHD, or Paramo. I also wear merino shirts of various thicknesses (Brand no longer in business). Also access Aclima website for good advice and a range of products that cover all layers.

So I think whatever technical jacket you choose, it will have more or less these qualities of insulation layers, so maybe the outer layer is important to consider for its capabilities against wind, rain, and snow, because if this first outer layer does not do its job well enough, the technical qualities of the other inner layers will lose their effectiveness.
It's definitely worth considering and investing in something that will follow you like your shadow.
Agreed.

I would highly recommend checking out your local charity/second hand/vintage shops where they sell used clothing, because i've managed to find all kinds of quality (ice age appropriate) clothing there, in the right size, and including brand names like Regatta.

It helps to go to those shops in wealthier neighbourhoods, where people tend to give away higher quality goods, that are in better condition.

I've found that the best period to go is a short while after Christmas, up to March, because around that time people seem to be getting rid of unwanted presents, or they're having a 'spring cleaning', and they throw out all kinds of goodies that could come in handy.

Trawling through the racks isn't for everybody, and not every country has the same access to these kinds of shops, but for those able and interested, you can save quite a bit of money.

I would highly recommend checking out your local charity/second hand/vintage shops where they sell used clothing, because i've managed to find all kinds of quality (ice age appropriate) clothing there, in the right size, and including brand names like Regatta.
Excellent idea.

I bought my Canada Goose on marketpalce (FB) and I paid only 400$ for a coat of more than 1200$ and it was like brand new.
Idem for my wife.

This may be a bit of a silly question, but since I've been looking to buy a new winter coat as mine is not insulating enough 🥶, I thought I'd ask, just in case someone has some recommendations from experience. I'm looking to get a good quality winter coat that does well for low and below 0 temperatures and good snow boots as I don't have any. I was wondering if anyone has any brand in mind they have good experiences with. Did you go for wool, feathers or synthetic when it comes to a winter coat? I came across Canada Goose, but I'm guessing that's an overkill and it's expensive too. Or maybe North Face? There are so many options!
I've also used EBAY for great deals on clothes. Both new and used.

In my opinion the Zippo handwarmer can be an amazing help at keeping warm. It is well made from quality metal and it looks and feels a-class. You fill it with lighter fluid, ignite it and the metal warmer will not give a flame but it will glow. It comes with a soft black pouch in which you put it. They say it will stay warm up to 12 hours but mine worked way over 20 hours. Only one thing a less positive about it is it smells a bit.

They are currently on sale @ Knives and Tools sites!
Last week I received mine and was so happy with the amazing warmth I ordered a few more that very same day.

🔥:-)

Back
Top Bottom