How to protect oneself from nanoparticles (and other nanotechnos) ?

Bastian

The Living Force
Hello,

nowadays nanotechnos are spreaded everywhere : in food, cosmetics (for instance nanoparticles of titanium dioxyde and zinc oxyde in sun creams as UV filter), new fridges/dishwasher/washing machines (nanoparticles of silver as bactericide), shoes and clothes, car tyres (nanotubes of carbon), etc.

So we are eating, drinking, inhaling, and absorbing them through the skin...
They are small enough to go through skin and mucus membranes into the body cells.
They are potentially genotoxic, carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, etc.
I'm not sure our bodies are prepared to detoxify them !

And we can expect nanorobots and other nighmares.
(In this forum, there is a thread about using nano to force vaccine on anybody).

So, do the Cs have any advice about how to protect from nanoparticles (and other nanotechnos) ?
(Beyond avoiding some foods and cosmetics.)

Some whistleblowers about nanos (and other "necrotechnologies") :
- ETC group (mainly in North America) : _http://www.etcgroup.org/issues/nanotechnology
- Pièces & mains d'oeuvre (in France, website in French) : _http://www.piecesetmaindoeuvre.com/

Thank you for your attention !

Hi Bastian. The safety concerns nanotechnology are the same I have about biotechnology. I found this in the net but the answer to how the damage can be reduced is as psycho as the world which we live in today: :mad:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090610192431.htm

ScienceDaily (June 11, 2009) — Scientists have identified for the first time a mechanism by which nanoparticles cause lung damage and have demonstrated that it can be combated by blocking the process involved, taking a step toward addressing the growing concerns over the safety of nanotechnology.

Nanotechnology, the science of the extremely tiny (one nanometre is one-billionth of a metre), is an important emerging industry with a projected annual market of around one trillion US dollars by 2015. It involves the control of atoms and molecules to create new materials with a variety of useful functions, including many that could be exceptionally beneficial in medicine. However, concerns are growing that it may have toxic effects, particularly damage to the lungs. Although nanoparticles have been linked to lung damage, it has not been clear how they cause it.

In a study published online June 11 in the newly launched Journal of Molecular Cell Biology Chinese researchers discovered that a class of nanoparticles being widely developed in medicine - ployamidoamine dendrimers (PAMAMs) – cause lung damage by triggering a type of programmed cell death known as autophagic cell death. They also showed that using an autophagy inhibitor prevented the cell death and counteracted nanoparticle-induced lung damage in mice.

"This provides us with a promising lead for developing strategies to prevent lung damage caused by nanoparticles. Nanomedicine holds extraordinary promise, particularly for diseases such as cancer and viral infections, but safety concerns have recently attracted great attention and with the technology evolving rapidly, we need to start finding ways now to protect workers and consumers from any toxic effects that might come with it," said the study's leader, Dr. Chengyu Jiang, a molecular biologist at the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences in Beijing, China.

The first nanomaterial was developed by German scientists in 1984. Nanomaterials are now used in a variety of products, including sporting goods, cosmetics and electronics. The fact that unusual physical, chemical, and biological properties can emerge in materials at the nanoscale makes them particularly appealing for medicine. Scientists hope nanoparticles will be able to improve the effectiveness of drugs and gene therapy by carrying them to the right place in the body and by targeting specific tissues, regulating the release of drugs and reducing damage to healthy tissues. They also envision the possibility of implantable nano devices that would detect disease, treat it and report to the doctor automatically from inside the body. The US Food and Drug Administration has approved some first generation nanodrugs. One example is Abraxane, a nanoformulation of the anti-cancer chemotherapy paclitaxel.

Lung damage is the chief human toxicity concern surrounding nanotechnology, with studies showing that most nanoparticles migrate to the lungs. However, there are also worries over the potential for damage to other organs.

In the study, the researchers first showed, through several independent experiments, that several types of PAMAMs killed human lung cells in the lab. They did not observe any evidence that the cells were dying by apoptosis, a common type of programmed cell death. However, they found that the particles triggered autophagic cell death through the Akt-TSC2-mTOR signalling pathway. Autophagy is a process that degrades damaged materials in a cell and plays a normal part in cell growth and renewal, but scientists have found that sometimes an overactivity of this destruction process leads to cell death.

The researchers also found that treating the cells with an autophagy inhibitor known as 3MA significantly inhibited the process, increasing the number of cells that survived exposure to the nanoparticles.

"Those results, taken together, showed that autophagy plays a critical role in the nanoparticle-induced cell death," said Dr. Jiang.

The scientists then tested their findings in mice. They found that introducing the toxic nanoparticles significantly increased lung inflammation and death rates in the mice, but injecting the mice with the autophagy inhibitor 3MA before introducing the nanoparticles significantly ameliorated the lung damage and improved survival rates.

"These experiments indicate that autophagy is indeed involved in lung damage caused by these nanoparticles and that inhibition of this process might have therapeutic effects," Dr. Jiang said. "We will likely need to look for additional new inhibitors to block lung damage as this particular compound is not stable in humans, but this gives us a promising lead for the first time."

"Our study has identified the principle for developing such compounds. The idea is that, to increase the safety of nanomedicine, compounds could be developed that could either be incorporated into the nano product to protect against lung damage, or patients could be given pills to counteract the effects," Dr. Jiang said, adding that the findings could also provide important insight into how nanopaticles cause other toxic effects.

It is not clear whether other types of nanoparticles would cause lung damage via the same mechanism, but some may, Dr. Jiang said. The group's research also suggests that blocking autophagic cell death could perhaps be useful in combating other causes of lung damage.

I think that smoke tobacco can act as a palliative at the lungs level, because the mucus layer in the lungs that forms when you smoke may work as a barrier and could give time to the macrophages and another mechanism to isolate any particles in the same way it was proposed with radioactive particles.
Respect the skin I don't know if something can protect from the unintended exposition to nanoparticles. I suppose that build a good health can be helpful.

Hello all.

I'd like to "up" this thread, because I believe that's a strategic question nowadays.
Nanoparticles are potentially a lot more dangerous than GMO, for instance.

An exemple : you live in the countryside (or forests or mountains), far from cities. You grow your own food or buy only organic food. You make your own clothes with matters you produce (waoh, that's an achievement !). You own an old fridge and washing-machine (or none at all !). You use no cosmetics beyond your own home-made soap and cendar. So you assume you're safe from nanoparticles (you lucky one !) ?

But sometimes you go to a village. And there you meet some people you know. What do you do then ? Generally you kiss or shake hands with them - meaning : you touch them directly, skin to skin. Too bad ! They use nanos-enriched cosmetics (unaware of their potential harm), and you just get some "free sample" of nanos on you skin, and later inside your skin cells, maybe blood, etc.

Compared to some virus, nanos may be far worse !

So I'd like to know what (the hell !) could we do to protect ourselves from nanos, without leaving this planet...

Bastian said:
...But sometimes you go to a village. And there you meet some people you know. What do you do then ? Generally you kiss or shake hands with them...

Does not that sound a little paranoid?

Hello Alchemie.

Alchemie said:
Does not that sound a little paranoid?

(By the way, that's quite amusing to read such a comment on this forum. :lol: )

Well, such a story may seem "a little paranoid", for sure.
But here we don't care about appearances (and opinions), we're in search for the (objective) Truth, aun't we ? Knowledge protects...

To put it in a nutshell, what "I" learned about nanos so far is :
1/ the (psychopaths-driven) industry is creating and producing more and more nanoparticles (and other nanotechnologies) since more than one or two decades. They are already spreaded everywhere in the industrial world including western countries (maybe not yet in the deepest oceans, forests or deserts).
2/ for a given material nanoparticles do not have the same physical properties (and biological effects) than normal macro-scale particles
3/ nanoparticles are small enough to be able to go through the skin or other mucus membranes, and even to get into cells !
For instance, researchers have found nanoparticles from gas-oil into brains ! (They may have get there through the eyes.)
4/ our bodies are not prepared to get rid of ("detoxify") nanos, so generally they accumulate in bodies.
5/ it's already proven that nanos have a pro-inflammatory effect*, and a carcinogenic effect is suspected
* for instance, that's the case of titanium dioxide, broadly used in cosmetics like sunscreen or toothpaste.
6/ the industry is creating new nano-materials like C60 (bukminsterfullerene) and other carbon nano-tubes* - but they are playing the sorcerer's apprentice, as we know almost nothing on their toxicity after a few years or decades, or by accumulation, aggregation, recombination, etc.
* already widely used for instance in car tires (to limit their wear and tear, but they do wear nonetheless, so I suppose that these nano-tubes "get wild" and that we are already breathing them.
7/ as usual the (psychopaths-driven) medicine industry try to sell us "nanos good to repair your health" (in the same manner as they sell GMOs to "fight hunger and feed the world").
and so on and so forth.

I beg your pardon, I'm lacking time to find some sources in English to quote, but I'm sure that's easy to find some on the web. You may begin by this WP article :
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotoxicology

WikiPedia said:
Nanomaterials are able to cross biological membranes and access cells, tissues and organs that larger-sized particles normally cannot.[15] Nanomaterials can gain access to the blood stream via inhalation[16] or ingestion.[17] At least some nanomaterials can penetrate the skin;[18] even larger microparticles may penetrate skin when it is flexed.[19] Broken skin is an ineffective particle barrier,[20] suggesting that acne, eczema, shaving wounds or severe sunburn may accelerate skin uptake of nanomaterials. Then, once in the blood stream, nanomaterials can be transported around the body and be taken up by organs and tissues, including the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, spleen, bone marrow and nervous system.[20] Nanomaterials have proved toxic to human tissue and cell cultures, resulting in increased oxidative stress, inflammatory cytokine production and cell death.[16] Unlike larger particles, nanomaterials may be taken up by cell mitochondria[21] and the cell nucleus.[22][23] Studies demonstrate the potential for nanomaterials to cause DNA mutation[23] and induce major structural damage to mitochondria, even resulting in cell death.[21][24]
(...)
As the use of nanomaterials increases worldwide, concerns for worker and user safety are mounting. To address such concerns, the Swedish Karolinska Institute conducted a study in which various nanoparticles were introduced to human lung epithelial cells. The results, released in 2008, showed that iron oxide nanoparticles caused little DNA damage and were non-toxic. Zinc oxide nanoparticles were slightly worse. Titanium dioxide caused only DNA damage. Carbon nanotubes caused DNA damage at low levels. Copper oxide[disambiguation needed] was found to be the worst offender, and was the only nanomaterial identified by the researchers as a clear health risk.[26] The latest toxicology studies on mice involving exposure to carbon nanotubes (CNT) showed a limited pulmonary inflammatory potential of MWCNT at levels corresponding to the average inhalable elemental carbon concentrations observed in U.S.-based CNT facilities. The study estimated that considerable years of exposure are necessary for significant pathology to occur.
To me, nanos are probably the next asbestos - a major public health scandal to come !

You can more or less easily protect yourself against, say, industrial food.
But it's hard (without living in an ad hoc bunker) to protect someone from :
- nuclear radiation and particles
- electromagnetic pollution
- and nanoparticles (among other chemical toxic products).

That's why "I" feel concerned (or paranoid ?) about this subject, and why I'm asking this question for the Cs.

Paranoid, huh? Don't look up, Damocles!
If you do, you may notice all the 'chemtrails' criss-crossing the sky above you, polluting the sky with God knows what (maybe including nano-particles) so that even if you ARE ensconced in your forest/desert/deep sea hideaway, you will be breathing in this stuff from the very air around you. We are all in this together, no doubt.
A guided response from the C's on this problem would be appreciated.

MusicMan said:
Paranoid, huh? Don't look up, Damocles!
If you do, you may notice all the 'chemtrails' criss-crossing the sky above you, polluting the sky with God knows what (maybe including nano-particles) so that even if you ARE ensconced in your forest/desert/deep sea hideaway, you will be breathing in this stuff from the very air around you. We are all in this together, no doubt.
A guided response from the C's on this problem would be appreciated.

Have you read Laura's article about chemtrails/contrails?

http://www.sott.net/article/221199-Chemtrails-Contrails-Strange-Skies

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not read Laura's article on strange skies.
One thing that was not mentioned was the possibility of the trails being used for imaging.
I guess there must be multiple uses for these things.
It is peculiar that despite all their jumping up and down about so-called Global Warming (harumph - Climate Change), you never hear the Greenies clamouring about the pollution in their skies. And I'm sure that if I think it's bad in Australia, it's likely to be much worse in USA and Europe.

Hello MusicMan.

MusicMan said:
Thanks for pointing that out, I had not read Laura's article on strange skies.
One thing that was not mentioned was the possibility of the trails being used for imaging.
I guess there must be multiple uses for these things.
Please keep the focus of this thread on nanos, and use a dedicated thread to discuss chem/con-trails, for instance this one.
Thanks !
And I'm sure that if I think it's bad in Australia, it's likely to be much worse in USA and Europe.
(And at least South-Eastern Asia.)

Hello.
I still hope to have one day a good answer to this (almost 12-year old) strategic question ! ;-)

BTW, you might be interested in this brief history of nanos :

What is it that is said to be in dental anesthetics these days? Nanoparticles?
I had a dental procedure done today, and took along an assortment my own anesthetics, but she did not have the right kind of injection equipment to use bottled fluids. So, I took a dental injection.
I've been using some fumed silica for making paints and painting, but always very carefully, and with a serious respirator.

Back
Top Bottom