I Can Hear My Eyes Moving!

Evan

Jedi Council Member
Okay this is weird. For the last couple of weeks I’ve been experiencing a woosh when I move my eyes, similar to a blood pressure sound, but more immediate and brief. As fast as I can look from one direction to another, the sound is right there. It doesn’t have to be a huge sweep from left to right; even a tiny shift does it. There are no other symptoms, no dryness, etc, to explain it. There is however a feeling. A momentary consciousness shift not dissimilar to when you nod off to sleep for a moment, and bounce back to reality. But unlike nodding off, I can flash it by moving my eyes, with the accompanying sound. At first I thought I was just nodding off in front of the tv and needed a nap, but when I went outside into the sunlight, I could look from one direction to the other, hear the accompanying woosh, and get that split second dreamy flash and waking back feeling. I don’t know if this is a growth thing or I’m losing my string (or maybe it’s THE VIRUS!!! 🦠 :scared: :lol:,) but it sure is strange!

Hi Evan, I’m not familiar or heard about cases where you can hear your own eye movements. But apparently it could be some thing temporary or if you are experiencing this since a long period of time, it could be related to a problem with your inner ear and there is a disorder called dehiscence syndrome (I’m not saying that you have this, just curiosity to see if you have any related symptom), found this article hope it helps:

What is superior canal dehiscence syndrome (SCDS)? Superior canal dehiscence syndrome is a disorder caused by an opening in the bone that should cover the inner ear's top balance canal (called the superior semicircular canal). The inner ear consists of a bony labyrinth that has two parts: the cochlea, which enables us to hear, and the vestibular labyrinth, which enables us to keep our balance. Located within the labyrinth are three semicircular canals that act as angular accelerometers for the head. When these are working properly, they allow us to maintain a steady gaze and keep images stable on our retinas even when our heads are moving.

The inner ear is a closed system surrounded and protected by the petrous portion of the temporal bone. In superior canal dehiscence, a portion of the bone covering the superior balance canal is missing. Without this bone, the membranous canal is exposed to the overlying dura mater membrane of the brain's temporal lobe. Mechanical stimuli such as sound and pressure can then cause motion of the fluid in the membranous canal resulting in abnormal neural activity from the sensory receptor cells associated with the canal. This can lead to hearing loss, abnormal eye movements and a sudden sensation of movement (vertigo) as a result of loud noises or pressure, such as coughing or sneezing.

How were you able to first identify SCDS? It was a study of the eye movements. The eye movements of this disorder, which is evoked by sound and pressure, are quite distinctive. Because the superior semicircular canal is affected, the eye movement is typically vertical-torsional, meaning the eye closest to the affected ear will twitch in a direction up and away from that ear (toward the middle of the face) in response to loud noises or by stimuli that change middle ear or intracranial pressure (such as coughing, sneezing or straining).

Hi Evan, I’m not familiar or heard about cases where you can hear your own eye movements. But apparently it could be some thing temporary or if you are experiencing this since a long period of time, it could be related to a problem with your inner ear and there is a disorder called dehiscence syndrome (I’m not saying that you have this, just curiosity to see if you have any related symptom), found this article hope it helps:

I did research that condition, and I don’t believe it’s the case. It’s difficult to articulate the sensation. Have you ever heard pain? Like a wince in your mind when feeling a stab of pain? It’s not so much an audible sound as like a squeezing in your brain. A sort of pressure as you brace against it. This is closer to the “sound” of my eye movement than say, a friction in my head. And then there’s the accompanying flash of returning to presence. It’s like blinking in and out of the now.

Well, since it is associated with movement, I think that what Irjo found might be moving in the right direction. It almost sounds like a variation on benign positional vertigo. Since I have suffered from occasional vertigo for years, I can tell you that sometimes, it can be brought on by very slight eye movements, not just changes of position of the head. I can be perfectly still, and move my eyes a certain way and get a sudden sensation of disorientation that quickly passes.

Hi Evan, I see you said that there are no other symptoms to explain it, but have you had any health issues, or other symptoms that may not seem to be associated? Something like this could be a symptom of an issue elsewhere in the body.
Some things to think about: how is your blood pressure, any rapid heart beating? Do you get headaches, is your gut health ok, any other sensations like lack of taste or smell (no, I'm not screening for COVID :lol:). Obviously you don't need to answer these questions here, but it may help you to have a ponder- to look at the bigger picture.

Hi Evan, I see you said that there are no other symptoms to explain it, but have you had any health issues, or other symptoms that may not seem to be associated? Something like this could be a symptom of an issue elsewhere in the body.
Some things to think about: how is your blood pressure, any rapid heart beating? Do you get headaches, is your gut health ok, any other sensations like lack of taste or smell (no, I'm not screening for COVID :lol:). Obviously you don't need to answer these questions here, but it may help you to have a ponder- to look at the bigger picture.
As far as things like blood pressure and such I no issues. I’m fairly consistently around 107/64, heart rate low 50s. My gut health and immune system are solid. I do have liver issues, degenerative arthritis, and neuropathy.

You mentioned other sensations and as a matter of fact I have had ringing in my left ear. Usually lasts about ten seconds, maybe every other day. And it did start around the same time!

Well, since it is associated with movement, I think that what Irjo found might be moving in the right direction. It almost sounds like a variation on benign positional vertigo. Since I have suffered from occasional vertigo for years, I can tell you that sometimes, it can be brought on by very slight eye movements, not just changes of position of the head. I can be perfectly still, and move my eyes a certain way and get a sudden sensation of disorientation that quickly passes.
I did have some bouts of it (vertigo) last year when I was recovering from pneumonia, so I’m well familiar with the condition. I still have a bottle of meclizine, and will try taking it.:-)

Back
Top Bottom