I can't use a VPN to access SOTT

Ruth

The Living Force
I have no trouble with this forum (so far), but just recently am unable to connect to SOTT.net with the VPN connected. Is this normal, or is something 'up'?

Specifically what error message do you get in the web browser? Sounds like a DNS issue with your VPN service not being able to resolve sott.net.

Specifically what error message do you get in the web browser? Sounds like a DNS issue with your VPN service not being able to resolve sott.net.
This is the error message I get:

This site can’t be reached
www.sott.net refused to connect.

Try:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Maybe it's something to do with google Chrome? Funny, but it just started relatively recently. Maybe it's a browser problem.

This is the error message I get:

Maybe it's something to do with google Chrome? Funny, but it just started relatively recently. Maybe it's a browser problem.

Hmm, could be a few things. My guess is whatever Web Server sott.net uses refuses the connection from your VPN provider. They probably have some type of firewall/filtering setup that looks at the source IP, and blocks it based on something like source country or known VPN they don't want to accept connections from. Do you know which country your VPN provider resides in? You could try a different VPN service, if there's a free trial of one you could test it without spending any money. Or if your VPN service has a choice of which servers to use, you could use a different server.

You could also try resetting the cache in Chrome.

Hmm, could be a few things. My guess is whatever Web Server sott.net uses refuses the connection from your VPN provider. They probably have some type of firewall/filtering setup that looks at the source IP, and blocks it based on something like source country or known VPN they don't want to accept connections from. Do you know which country your VPN provider resides in? You could try a different VPN service, if there's a free trial of one you could test it without spending any money. Or if your VPN service has a choice of which servers to use, you could use a different server.

You could also try resetting the cache in Chrome.
Interesting! I only have trouble with SOTT, and not the Cassiopaea Forum. Do they use the same Web Server? I think the problem may be on my side for some reason.

I also have problems logging on to our MyGov - government linkages for all services - but we don't really want to 'spy' on you, website. I can access the site, I just can't go anywhere on it. I expected that though. :lol:

I think I'll have to get the mobile geek service a call. I wonder if they'll wear a mask and tell me it's for my protection... lol.

SOTT is served up via CloudFlare (DNS + they are our Content Delivery Network).

Most likely, CloudFlare is blocking the VPN for one reason or another... Possibly because VPNs are used for various nefarious purposes, and maybe bad guys are using your specific one.

OR, too many people are using that VPN, so your VPN-ified public IP address is seen as "denial-of-service attack-ing" CloudFlares servers.

That's just a guess, though. Haven't had any other recent reports of connection problems from anybody else, so most likely that's the issue.

It seems it works now, after I "added VPN extension to Chrome". I guess that might have been an example of me 'pressing the right button', and nothing's blown up so far...... yet..... :lol:

I spoke too soon! When messing about with my VPN icon, I flicked the on switch "Block adds and malicious web sites". Then I couldn't connect to SOTT again until I switched it back off. Apparently you are considered either an add or a malicious web site. Good Lord! :nuts::lol:

I cannot connect to www.sott.net but I can to es.sott.net a cassiopae.org. I use NordVPN through Spain or Portugal.
I doesn’t matter if I am at home (wifi with a local provider, PC, tablet or movil) or outside (4G provider) So I guess its a VPN service problem.

Back
Top Bottom