I started a book club in a prison

loreta said:
I was looking something like how the USA killed so many Koreans during the war but for now I did not find anything in Spanish.

Here is a Sott Exclusive about it. It has precisely this information in Spanish:

https://es.sott.net/article/40907-Exclusiva-SOTT-Ocupacion-estadounidense-de-Corea-El-veredicto-olvidado-de-una-guerra-olvidada

Better than nothing :cool2:

Thank you Gaby. This morning I checked at Sott Spanish but found nothing. But I was in a worry. :-[
I will give it to him. ;D

Yesterday I went to see the 2 libraries that are in the prison, one very small, and the other with 15,000 books, very beautiful. Two inmates are the librarians, one of them a German. He told me that about 50 inmates are regular readers and the prison have 1,000 inmates. They have good books, really. The books of the little library are donations.

The class went well. 8/14 read the little book, and didn't like it. But they understood the story. Next week I will make them write a little text, to see their level of comprehension. It is not easy to stimulate these guys, I will make some games also, or some debate between two groups. I will see. Some breath exercises or stretch, some are too quiet (maybe they take sedatives ?), others too nervous. But they are very funny, like young boys in a class.

Next week also I will have a regular pass, so I will be able to go in the prison without nobody, enter and exit without nobody. I saw also yesterday one inmate room. They are very small, too small, and two men live in there. Very bad and I suppose uncomfortable beds. Horrible. I mean horrible because no intimacy with oneself...

When I was in the little library one of my boys was there, showing me the books he read. Now thinking about it I can see how happy he was to tell me the books he read but I can see also, behind this mask of happiness, a huge black hole of solitude. It is very interesting to see the masks and have some visions of what is behind, like seeing stars behind a cloud. I am interested in these masks and in these stars, even if they are black.

Thanks to listen!

Here are some "news" from my Book Club in the prison. I like the experience very much,in fact I love this experience more and more. When I enter the prison, every Thursday, I have the sensation to enter in a real situation, a microcosm of what is outside. In my class I am with real people, with real problems. They are, the majority, incapable of expressing their emotions. I have 14 men and just 4 read the books I propose. The rest don't read, make also no effort to read. 4 is good, I think so. Now the school classes for them will start and I asked if some of them will continue with me and these 4 will continue. The rest give me excuses like they will be very busy studying!

Next week will be the last class for this session but I will continue with a new group plus these 4 readers. I will give them a questionnary to see what they liked or not of the club, what they expect, etc. Next week also I will make them write some poems and I will post them in my facebook wall. Do you think it is a good idea?

Last week we read The Little Prince by Saint-Exupéry. Just 4 read the book, the majority of the others told me that they did not like the book even if they did not read the book. ;D Or because the book was for kids even if I specify that this book it is not for kids. I gave them a little lecture about fairy tales stories. When I asked them if when they were kids someone read stories to them, all answered no. But I told them that maybe a grandmother or a mother told them stories oral. I explained that stories is what is important, that in some cultures they don't have books but told stories orally.

I am still thinking how to make them read a book when they don't want to read a book?

I see others situations that I like to study, for example how the people who worked there treat the inmates, how the inmates react to the civil servants, their body language, their visage when they ask something, etc. With me they are always very educated in fact more then the average man outside the prison.

They are in this prison some levels that are "hard", like level 6 for people that made something bad, acted in a bad way, did not follow the rules of the prison, took drugs, etc. They are shut up during weeks or a month. they can not have permission to see their family or go outside on permission.

The other day, this Wendsday, one inmate ( I did not know him but he was in the level 1 so he was acting good) went on permission after 12 years to be in prison. He was assassinated the same day he went outside with 2 balls on the head. So I am aware of the world where I go every Thursday and I have to be careful anyway. They are inmates and they are there for a reason. I need never to forget this.

I am learning a lot. About others, about how to express myself with clarity, about my body language and be aware of it when I am with them, about the silence of a class that is plain of emotion not expressed, about people that are dead inside, about their lives, their infancy that they told just with some words. I like to see their interaction between them, their gentleness, their intelligence, how they lied or try to manipulated, how some take care of their bodies (gym) but are so afraid to take care of their brain. I have a clown in my class but he talked so good and intelligently about The Little Prince that now he is my philosopher. Another one make really an effort to read, I brought to him a small book because he asked me to bring to him something small and easy. They are there in the prison, the majority of my students, because of drugs, robbery.

Thanks to listen! And I welcome advice, always!

loreta said:
I am still thinking how to make them read a book when they don't want to read a book?

Well, maybe with time you will get the people who actually want to read.

I don't know if this helps, but do you know the series of books called "Elige tu propia aventura"? There are plenty of those on Amazon in Spanish. I remember enjoying them as a child. Maybe something like that would make them feel like they have a choice in what they read? You can ask them to tell the group later which path they chose, what the end result was, etc. It's a bit like a reading game. Now, I can't remember whether they were very "profound" in meaning or not, but if they goal is to get them to like reading, it might work.

Chu said:
loreta said:

Well, maybe with time you will get the people who actually want to read.

I don't know if this helps, but do you know the series of books called "Elige tu propia aventura"? There are plenty of those on Amazon in Spanish. I remember enjoying them as a child. Maybe something like that would make them feel like they have a choice in what they read? You can ask them to tell the group later which path they chose, what the end result was, etc. It's a bit like a reading game. Now, I can't remember whether they were very "profound" in meaning or not, but if they goal is to get them to like reading, it might work.

Yes, I remember those books, I never tried to read them but I know what you mean. It is a good idea. In fact it is an excellent idea.I will ask the "boss" of the Clubs about this and if we can find those books.

Thank you Chu !

loreta said:
Here are some "news" from my Book Club in the prison. I like the experience very much,in fact I love this experience more and more. When I enter the prison, every Thursday, I have the sensation to enter in a real situation, a microcosm of what is outside. In my class I am with real people, with real problems. They are, the majority, incapable of expressing their emotions. I have 14 men and just 4 read the books I propose. The rest don't read, make also no effort to read. 4 is good, I think so. Now the school classes for them will start and I asked if some of them will continue with me and these 4 will continue. The rest give me excuses like they will be very busy studying!

Next week will be the last class for this session but I will continue with a new group plus these 4 readers. I will give them a questionnary to see what they liked or not of the club, what they expect, etc. Next week also I will make them write some poems and I will post them in my facebook wall. Do you think it is a good idea?

Last week we read The Little Prince by Saint-Exupéry. Just 4 read the book, the majority of the others told me that they did not like the book even if they did not read the book. ;D Or because the book was for kids even if I specify that this book it is not for kids. I gave them a little lecture about fairy tales stories. When I asked them if when they were kids someone read stories to them, all answered no. But I told them that maybe a grandmother or a mother told them stories oral. I explained that stories is what is important, that in some cultures they don't have books but told stories orally.

I see others situations that I like to study, for example how the people who worked there treat the inmates, how the inmates react to the civil servants, their body language, their visage when they ask something, etc. With me they are always very educated in fact more then the average man outside the prison.

They are in this prison some levels that are "hard", like level 6 for people that made something bad, acted in a bad way, did not follow the rules of the prison, took drugs, etc. They are shut up during weeks or a month. they can not have permission to see their family or go outside on permission.

The other day, this Wendsday, one inmate ( I did not know him but he was in the level 1 so he was acting good) went on permission after 12 years to be in prison. He was assassinated the same day he went outside with 2 balls on the head. So I am aware of the world where I go every Thursday and I have to be careful anyway. They are inmates and they are there for a reason. I need never to forget this.

I am learning a lot. About others, about how to express myself with clarity, about my body language and be aware of it when I am with them, about the silence of a class that is plain of emotion not expressed, about people that are dead inside, about their lives, their infancy that they told just with some words. I like to see their interaction between them, their gentleness, their intelligence, how they lied or try to manipulated, how some take care of their bodies (gym) but are so afraid to take care of their brain. I have a clown in my class but he talked so good and intelligently about The Little Prince that now he is my philosopher. Another one make really an effort to read, I brought to him a small book because he asked me to bring to him something small and easy. They are there in the prison, the majority of my students, because of drugs, robbery.

Thanks to listen! And I welcome advice, always!

So far your experience sounds like it's been quite interesting loreta! Have you ever considered writing something about it?? I was also thinking about two movies that you guys could watch: Dead Poets Society and then maybe reading some of the poems mentioned in the movie? Which could be like an introduction to poetry maybe, dunno..

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/4lj185DaZ_o

And there's also another excelent movie called, Freedom Writers:

https://youtu.be/MT0L1U-Rdj4

And maybe they can have their own journals as in the movie?! :D Just some ideas, but I hope things go smoothly with this amazing experience loreta. :hug2:

Thank you Marina9 for your ideas, I think they are really good. I did not see the movie Dead Poet Society never because I don't like the actor but maybe I will do an effort this time and take some part of the movie (I have just one hour of class, so I can not show a whole movie, it is too long) and I will see the other movie you advice to look. Today I will tell them a fairy tale, and I will make them read aloud some stories by Christian Andersen. Then talk about the story. And maybe if I have time make them write something, a poem or a very short text.

The have a lot of difficulty to concentrate, maybe the only moment where they are in attention is this class. But outside they don't. Some breath exercises I will try before the class.

Thank you Marina. Have a nice day.

loreta said:
Thank you Marina9 for your ideas, I think they are really good. I did not see the movie Dead Poet Society never because I don't like the actor but maybe I will do an effort this time and take some part of the movie (I have just one hour of class, so I can not show a whole movie, it is too long) and I will see the other movie you advice to look. Today I will tell them a fairy tale, and I will make them read aloud some stories by Christian Andersen. Then talk about the story. And maybe if I have time make them write something, a poem or a very short text.

The have a lot of difficulty to concentrate, maybe the only moment where they are in attention is this class. But outside they don't. Some breath exercises I will try before the class.

I think your talking about Robin Williams. I liked Mariana's Suggestion.

Since you do not have the time for long movie's, perhaps some clip's (with your discretion), that could be of service to empathy.

Thank you for the updates.

https://youtu.be/nktvyqGqQ_o

Robin Williams Tribute - "One of a kind" (5:04)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWOdAmqhpc

Robin Williams actor in Spanish
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=robin+williams+actor+in+spanish

Good Will Hunting - The best Robin Williams scene

https://youtu.be/jg_9FQk6UnA

Edit Corrected last Vid.

Thank you C.A. The discours of Robin is very beautiful.

Yes, I will check for something short, but it has to be in Spanish.

Thank you!

loreta said:

I think adding some breathing exercises is a great idea loreta! Yes, you are right about the time, both movies are quite long but as c.a pointed out, maybe some clips could do :) Good Will Hunting, is another great one c.a! I guess that as with all projects it will take some time until they have their full concentration. And maybe you see some of them "not interested" but maybe in the bottom they are getting something very useful out of all this experience, I am sure it is something that in the long run will help them a lot!

Thanks for sharing with us, and hope all goes well!

I found a couple of themes that you may consider. First one, five minutes plus. But it is unfortunately only in English.
The theme is of a man living with his inner peace by the sea.

The second is six plus, (and it is from Spain) about Mountain pilgrimages with the backdrop being in Spain.

And as we have come to appreciate, the sound, and apperception of water has incredible healing property's, as do the mountains.
OK then, Good luck loreta.

August 2017

https://vimeo.com/229802433?byline=0&portrait=0

https://vimeo.com/6838539

Thanks c.a. sorry for to be late to thank you.

So my group continue. Now, finally, I found a book that interested them very much: "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. The story is about a young boy that have the syndrome of Asperger.

This book is so plain of other subjects: empathy, coldness, our world, how Aspergers see the world and us, compassion, relations between fathers and sons, mathematics, contact, etc. They were so interested that they asked me to bring some more information about this syndrome.

I made them write a letter to Christopher, the young boy of the novel. Tomorrow I will make them write a letter from Christopher to them, how Christopher see them. As if Christopher is able to be a sort of mirror, cold mirror, with space. Christopher is a very interesting character for that. He sees us with objectivity and coldness. So we can see us under another perspective.

But Christopher is a very sad character also. So I will make them talk about how emotions are important, specially to express them, how to be grateful to feel, to see others as humans and not as mathematical formulas. A team work will be perfect for this.

Every meeting I do Laughter yoga and some breathing and stretching exercises. They laugh, they feel good and then their brain is oxygenated. We can start the class with a good energy. :)

Thanks to listen!

Congratulations loreta, it is very good to hear you are doing something involving what you love to help other. As has been mentioned, safety is important and it sounds as though you have that covered.

Keep us posted on this initiative, and best of wishes! :)

There is this man in the Club that never read a book, and the first day he told us: I just read the news on paper. I don't like to read at all! For him a book was something too huge so he asked me if I can bring to him a small book, something thin. I went to the book shop and found some books, one about stories by Jorge Amado, the book was thin, so I take it for him and gave it to him. He started to read the book. But then when we all read the story of Christopher the young Asperger boy, everyone was so interested that this man read the book also. And yesterday he told me how much he loves to read the book, wanted to finish it. He was very happy and also very proud. Me too!

Back
Top Bottom