Ideas on what to "teach" my child

A

Amanecer

I grew up in a very traditional Christian environment. About five months ago, after my life completely fell apart from having been a victim of a psychopath, I was introduced to the C's material and began to slowly "wake up". I feel like my world view has been shaken up and dumped out on the floor. I am in the process of trying to figure out how the pieces will fit back together. In the midst of this, I am raising two boys - 6 and 2 years old. Like a good mama christian, I taught my son all about JC. (just the wrong things, I believe) I am trying to figure out how to introduce things that I am learning about spirituality, the lies of government, etc. It is so overwhelming to me, I can't seem to figure out where to start. I have been trying to talk to him about issues (age appropriate) when the opportunity presents itself. He know a lot of traditional Bible stories and really believes it....how can I begin to tell him that it is most likely all a bunch of lies?! I also want him to be sure he can trust what I am teaching him.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or experiences with this type of situation?

Thanks

Hi - I'm sure others here can be of more help than I, but just for starters, it might help to realize that although the bible is not what it is proported to be, that the person JC was based on very likely existed - it's also important to remember that many of the 'stories' are actually applicable to life if looked at 'in the right light'. Basically, a lot of symbolism was used - when speaking of things that sounded like they were about the body, they were actually about the soul - and so forth.

Perhaps, there is some way that you can transform the literal understanding into something more symbolic - there is a lot of material available on this sort of thing on the main cassiopaea.org site - basically we were all given a lot of clues in the bible - there is a lot of truth there, masked - often very well and very deeply - with stories that could be taken the wrong way by those so inclined.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that 'a pack of lies' isn't necessarily the way you have to go about it - perhaps you can utilize those teachings in a way that accents Free Will - Service to Others - and avoids the lies of life (life meaning the reality that we're hypnotized into thinking is real). It's certainly a complicated subject, but, perhaps just starting by slowly emphasizing the Service to Others aspects of those teachings and minimizing the judgement/right and wrong/so forth teachings. I'm sure others will be able to give more detailed advice - it is possibe, without destroying the 'spirit' of the original story, so to speak - but it can be a narrow plank to walk. Of course, throwing in the idea that not all people who look human are necessarily really human would be the most valuable lesson to teach - in a way that doesn't promote 'OP spotting' - but just promotes the understanding that paying attention to actions as opposed to words might be a good idea. FWIW.

Thank you anart. There is a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from your post. I will definitely check out the main cassiopaea site for more information on this issue.

Amanecer said:
I grew up in a very traditional Christian environment. About five months ago, after my life completely fell apart from having been a victim of a psychopath, I was introduced to the C's material and began to slowly "wake up".
<snip>
In the midst of this, I am raising two boys - 6 and 2 years old. I am trying to figure out how to introduce things that I am learning about spirituality, the lies of government, etc
I'm in a similar situation.

It's not easy, and I'm working it out as I go along, but I agree with what anart says, that many teachings are still useful. they can be used as 'stories' which illustrate a point. this can included stories from the bible, arthurian legend, or greek mythology or wherever. In fact, I think that the more different sources that you can draw from then the richer a world you can describe. I think in this way, a child will gradually come to his/her own understanding about these stories, (maybe even seeing things in them that you or I don't) and will understand the concept of stories for their own sake and that archetypal myths might not have happened exactly as described, etc.

I always talk to my son about everything, but on a level that seems appropriate. I think maybe don't 'push' things to hard. When a child is ready, they will ask all kinds of questions as long as they are brought up in an environment where it is 'ok' to do so: I think it is fine to admit to your children when you don't have the answers, but that you are still questioning things - this demonstrates that things aren't always black and white, and that there is always more to learn.

Regarding teaching about different types of people, psychopaths etc, I haven't really tackled anything like that, but I HAVE talked about different types of behaviour (my son is 4) - so if a behaviour is manipulative, then I explain what is happening and why that is wrong. so when my son tries the 'crocodile tears' or whatever it might be (or someone else is exhibiting manipulative behaviour), I will always talk to him about the behaviour and explain what he is doing, this generally works - he seems to be developing an understanding of how his behaviour affects others.

The most powerful way I see that I can educate my son is by being an example to him, in the way I behave - of course, this is not easy!

Ideas on what to \

Nomad said:
I'm in a similar situation.

It's not easy, and I'm working it out as I go along, but I agree with what anart says, that many teachings are still useful. they can be used as 'stories' which illustrate a point. this can included stories from the bible, arthurian legend, or greek mythology or wherever. In fact, I think that the more different sources that you can draw from then the richer a world you can describe. I think in this way, a child will gradually come to his/her own understanding about these stories, (maybe even seeing things in them that you or I don't) and will understand the concept of stories for their own sake and that archetypal myths might not have happened exactly as described, etc.
I'm in the same boat as well. I agree that it is not easy but what I do sometimes with my young son is that instead of reading to him from a book at bed time, I make up my own stories - that way I get a chance to cover different themes that I want to explain to him.

Re: Ideas on what to \

Given the fascination of my children with komodo dragons (among others)..I am using it to introduce the reptilians and emotional state control.

Not in a fearful way, rather telling them that komodos feed on their emotions and for example that fighting a komodo or trying to kill him is useless, that they will become bigger by the anger of yours, so your only solution is books and reading as the komodos cant and wont eat clever boys.

I have just recently started and the concept is still evoluting haha yet I agree that we must not force or give before the child asks or the opportunity is there.

Would love it if there were some nicely done children stories books on that line.

r

Hi
I had some interesting replies on the subject of talking to our children about the things we are learning here, on the link below:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14882.msg118349#msg118349

there are other interesting posts on the Family Life board, but I think you may need to register and have 10 posts to access that? I am sure a moderator can advise.

Much of the advice centres around a gentle approach, using stories and comparisons that a child of a young age would understand.

Another point to consider is that it is worth remembering, that things you may share with them, may be repeated by them to their friends in the playground etc.. and it may create other issues for them with their peers when they are still at an age that would find that hard to cope with.

Nomads advice is a good summary of points raised before on this forum.

Good luck!
Al

I thought about that also, before I tell him anything I try to imagine him repeating the story to his teacher or fellow children and if I see odd faces it means I went to far...I try to make it as if it is something like those bits of intimacy, connection and play between parent and child that others not necessarily understand rather than a fact that he needs to learn and tell around.

My kids are only 3 and 2 so for the moment it is more play than anything but questions are just around the corner and I found the other topic quite interesting as someday I will be there too.

They grow fast!

R

Back
Top Bottom