Ides of March

loreta said:
I will do the same. And thanks Laura and the team for letting us discover this magnificent man!

That doesn't even remotely look like Caesar, Loreta! This is Caesar:

Julius_Caesar_Bust.jpg

I will light a candle too, to the man who opposed this evil system of oppression and died trying to change the world in a better one,be blessed Caesar for your brave heart and soul,for your way of the warrior.

Interesting idea. Will keep a candle burning today, as well.

In addition, we decided to celebrate a different, or rather additional, New Year's Day on March 20th, the Spring equinox. (makes sense to think that before the current calendar was established to accommodate the ecumenical placement of Easter Sunday, and that September, meaning seventh month, October meaning the 8th month, etc, etc. all got moved forward by two months in the process, making March the original New year month.

Interestingly too, is from Wikipedia:
The Ides were supposed to be determined by the full moon, reflecting the lunar origin of the Roman calendar. On the earliest calendar, the Ides of March would have been the first full moon of the new year.

Next full moon falls on March 16th, tomorrow, which in Roman time would have been designated the 15th, I think. So maybe we should keep a candle burning through tomorrow, as well?

hmm, it just struck me... in light of the discussions on "0 New Year" and "April drop dead date", considering the quote "beware the Ides of March" has kind of made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

consider this also from Wiki:
Caesar's death was a closing event in the crisis of the Roman Republic, and triggered the civil war that would result in the rise to sole power of his adopted heir Octavian (later known as Augustus)

Keeping eyes and ears open.

Skyfarmr said:
Interestingly too, is from Wikipedia:
The Ides were supposed to be determined by the full moon, reflecting the lunar origin of the Roman calendar. On the earliest calendar, the Ides of March would have been the first full moon of the new year.

Next full moon falls on March 16th, tomorrow, which in Roman time would have been designated the 15th, I think. So maybe we should keep a candle burning through tomorrow, as well?

I think I will. My green and gold one is getting close to the end now, so I'll see what else I have that will burn all day tomorrow.

I have also lighted a candle for Gaius Julius.

Thank You for Your research. Thank You for what You give. All that You give.

Are You hungry? Are You lonely? Are You in need of anything that I can give to You?

I am in debt with You. I will never be able to give You back. Just like with my parents.

I am not afraid. Words. ...

Network. Thank You.

And Gaius Iulius is in my favourites brave souls gallery thanks to You.

Night Knights.

I also lit a fat one (red white blue) - although i never really liked candles cause they reminded me of churches and electricity shortages - but for J.C. it is worthy to shift that perspective. NICE!

It lighted up my day when I found this thread in time to get the picture of Caesar out and light a candle. Thank you!

Mine was just plain yelow. But made of real wax (if that counts ;) :D )

BTW, Caesar is a spot on image of my friend Marjan (except the hair)

The image of Caesar that Loreta used bears a striking resemblance to the current President of Syria. This said, Caesar spent a lot of time trying to invade the British Isles, and was constantly repulsed, having his boats burned by the minions of Boudicca the Queen. I am a red haired descendant of these people and seem to have problems every 'Ides of March', perhaps a genetic memory?
I may light a candle for Boudicca instead.
The Brits ended up being betrayed into the hands of the Romans, but not in battle.

MusicMan said:
The image of Caesar that Loreta used bears a striking resemblance to the current President of Syria. This said, Caesar spent a lot of time trying to invade the British Isles, and was constantly repulsed, having his boats burned by the minions of Boudicca the Queen. I am a red haired descendant of these people and seem to have problems every 'Ides of March', perhaps a genetic memory?
I may light a candle for Boudicca instead.
The Brits ended up being betrayed into the hands of the Romans, but not in battle.

I think you better read more history.

Back
Top Bottom