Impact? Massive wave anomaly in the South Atlantic moving North

According to a few different bathymetry maps, the depth in that area of the South Atlantic could be up to 5km deep, unless it mostly occurred from shallower ridge areas around the islands. But the size of the anomaly on VentuSky suggests to me it was in a deeper part of the ocean. If the deep ocean has warmed that much, then this could just be the beginning of these sorts of events.

The "shallow" and "subsurface" in the above phrase "shallow subsurface methane hydrates" refers, I believe, to not far below the surface of the seabed, rather than shallow water depth. In fact, it seems that sediments accumulating at shallow water depths (<200 m) cannot contribute to gas hydrate accumulation since marine methane hydrates are only formed at significantly higher pressures, i.e in sediment deep under water.

My take is that probably others have some input filtering enabled and are considering anomalous data, a sensor malfunction that is not fed into models, or maybe some input smoothing that was rejecting transient values. Ventusky's provider, on the other hand, maybe didn't have that kind of safeguard, and the model wasn't even prepared for that kind of events. So they were kind of right in saying that this was a model error, but the general public interpreted this as "everything is fine", as everything today is black or white, with no grey in between...

Yeah, I think so too, a combination of both:

The real area and power of the event was probably a lot smaller than the computer model showed (while still being way out of the range for the sensors/model, aka., a real big event nonetheless) thus causing the sensors and/or computer model to "overreact".

Interesting article here that explains how methane release from that general area off SW Africa is caused by a weakening of the AMOC (Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation).

Basically, warming causes Greenland etc. ice sheet melt and that influx of fresh water into the salty N. Atlantic decreases the salinity, and thus the density, of surface water to the point that it is no longer able to sink and make the return journey to the equator.

This causes intermediate waters at the equator area (and below) to warm which causes dissociation of shallow subsurface methane hydrates and the release of methane (which we saw recently). Methane in the atmosphere causes more global warming in a feedback loop.

This process has been blamed for the "younger dryas" cooling, but we suspect there were far more significant impacts involved, in the form of, well, impacts.... of space rocks, that ushered in a new ice age.

These guys think that will lead to "runaway global warming", but global warming (and as noted, methane itself) dramatically increases atmospheric water vapor which, according to the Cs "moves the belt of great precipitation much farther north", which then leads to a lot of NH precipitation which leads to rapid ice sheet build up and a fairly sudden new ice age.

That info about the weight of water is interesting. There's been discussion about the cause of outgassing being attributed to cosmic rays heating the earth from within, and also shear stress on the earth due to a slowed rotation that makes the lithosphere and core spin out of sync.

Q: (L) Well. Okay, I have another question. I watched a funky little video that was kinda like a webcam of Vesuvius in 79 AD. It was a really unique way of looking at it. It was CGI, computer animated, but as if a webcam had been there. That prompted me to look into that 79 AD eruption. In the course of reading about this eruption - and I assume that Pliny the Younger was the source of the information – it was said that, apparently some short time before the eruption, there was a herd of sheep...

(Andromeda) It was a few years before. There was an earthquake that happened, and a bunch of sheep died.

(L) Yeah, there was an earthquake, and then a whole herd of sheep somewhere near Pompeii just dropped dead, apparently from gaseous effusions from the ground. Reading that, it just made my skin crawl because... It was like 600 sheep, they said. When you look at the planet nowadays and you see all the animals dying on land, in the ocean, falling out of the sky, etc., you can’t help but draw a comparison. We've already speculated and discussed in a couple of sessions about the fact that some of this is due to gases being emitted from within the earth either on land or in the oceans. What kind of gives me the shivers is the global nature of it now as opposed to a localized event near to where a volcano is going to erupt. That is, it was like a warning of the eruption. So, does that mean that we are looking forward to a whole, whole, whole lot more volcanic eruptions in the future?

A: We once mentioned worldwide simultaneous eruptions. Not just that, but also the cyclic heating within the Earth and release of gases that propel continental drift. When the present period of change terminates, much of your world will be unrecognizable.

Q: (L) YEEHAW! [laughter]

(Pierre) Maybe one question here... Currently, we're experiencing an increase in outgassing.

(L) Just about every-freaking-where!

(Pierre) And this is the cause of continental drift. Now, this outgassing seems to be caused by heating within the Earth. Is the heating within the Earth due to the surge of cosmic energies as exemplified by the spike in El Niño?

A: Largely initiated by that, yes.

Q: (L) But then the cosmic ray thing goes in through these points at 18-19 degrees, and that acts on the Earth. And something is also slowing the Earth down, the “grounding of the current flow”, as was mentioned previously, so the slowing down of the Earth is causing a mismatch between the speed of rotation of the core and the lithosphere.

(Pierre) So then there is a shearing stress going on all over the planet...

(L) I think we understand that some of this is the cause of those booms people are reporting as well as the trumpet-like sounds, and the mechanical grinding sounds being heard in so many place.

A: Indeed! It is like one giant interactive puzzle!

Waves always travel. They dont magically stop. Doesnt matter if the impulse comes from above (low pressure system for example) or from below. According to this sea maps with 80ft swell on them ive seen the wave must had hit at least part of the SW coast of africa.
Looking for some evidence of strong swell near the fault I located myself on the island of Tristan da Cunha, an overseas territory of the United Kingdom, in the South Atlantic Ocean and in the town of Tristan da Cunha the small local newspaper reports

Visit of the MS Ambience, April 2024

The cruise ship MS Ambience arrived at Tristan da Cunha in the morning of the 10th April 2024 just after 6:00am.
The ship came in close to the settlement, which gave passengers a good view, but unfortunately no landing operations were possible then due to the swell. However she went for a cruise around the island and came back a few hours later to see if conditions had improved
When the Ambience returned at 11:00am, operations were cancelled by the Captain. Even though the harbour was workable for islanders, the ship was not able to use her tenders to land passengers, and it was deemed unsafe for island personnel to board the vessel using her pilot ladder.
This was a sad disappointment for all the islanders as they had spent two days in preparation. All the shops had packed up enough items to take on board to sell to over 1000 passengers and 500 crew
!africa is.sta H.png
There was another ship on the morning of April 11 reporting bad weather in the morning.
Anyone know how to make sense of this wave height data in the Southern Atlantic 10th-11th April. Was there really an anomalous massive wave peaking over 14ms? pic.twitter.com/L7mvlOXe4E
In videos, strong winds from southeasterly gale force winds hit the city of Cape Town, uprooting trees, breaking windows and roofs of houses, causing fires, and roads were impassable due to fallen debris and structural damage. This must have been one of the reasons why the high waves in this area did not seem strange. It should be noted that in Namibia the coastal area is deserted.

Last edited:
Super interesting - it's also visible on the Windy.com weather/atmospheric website - but only on the ICON forecasting. I took a screen grab.

www.windy.com/-Menu/menu?iconWaves,waves,-32.176,17.402,3

ICON weather model (Icosahedral Nonhydrostatic)​

• Resolution: various (Europe 7km, ICON7), (global 13km, ICON13)
  • Forecast depth: 5,1 day
  • Step: 1 hour
  • Updates frequency: 4 times/day
Created by the German Meteorological Service (Deutscher Wetterdienst), the ICON is generally considered to be even more accurate than the ECMWF due to the better resolution, albeit only in Europe. The most important variables of the ICON are considered to be air density and virtual potential temperature, horizontal and vertical wind speed, humidity, cloud water, cloud ice, rain and snow. Its small-scale part includes the COSMO model, which will be fully integrated into the ICON by 2020.

I don't know why it's only visible on that weather model though.

Untitled.png

Just for orientation, the island referred to in mabar's video is called Bouvet Island, the world's most remote island, located at the southern end of the mid-Atlantic Ridge.

Bouvetøya is a volcanic island constituting the top of a shield volcano just off the Southwest Indian Ridge in the South Atlantic Ocean. The island measures 9.5 by 7 km (5.9 by 4.3 mi) and covers an area of 49 km2...

Bouvet Island.jpg

The Bouvet Triple Junction is located 275 km (171 mi) west of Bouvet Island. It is a triple junction between the South American Plate, the African Plate and the Antarctic Plate, and of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the Southwest Indian Ridge and the American–Antarctic Ridge.

Bouvet Triple Junction.jpg

The island itself is 93% covered by glacier. It's record high is 10.6 C (51.1 F) and it's record low is -18.7 C (-1.7 F). It's average temperature range is between 1.4 C (34.4 F) and -2.7 C (27.1 F) over the year. Once the ice is there, it doesn't need to be very cold to stay there.

Bouvet Island (NASA).jpg

Just for orientation, the island referred to in mabar's video is called Bouvet Island, the world's most remote island, located at the southern end of the mid-Atlantic Ridge.
There was an earthquake in that region back in January, perhaps maybe some huge rock-the like has slipped and is causing the outgassing to come out.
● M 5.1 - Bouvet Island region (South Africa)
2024-01-15 17:30:27 (UTC)
53.876°S 3.044°E. 15.8 km depth
USGS earthquake alert
chrome_screenshot_15 ene. 2024 16_35_52 GMT-06_00.png

Back
Top Bottom