In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters With Addiction

Huxley said:
Maté also includes some of his own personal addictions and stories behind them, not with drugs, but with a simple classical music purchasing addiction that has tainted his life and made him lie to his family and be in a state of denial.

I thought the example of his own son being 'addicted' to writing his blog was also a good one. Whether it be drugs, unreasonable shopping habits or obsessively writing one's blog, it's still dissociation, a denial of reality, a quest for something which has always been missing. It was touching to see him realize that he could not treat his patients in a patronizing manner because, in many ways, his own actions are quite similar to theirs. The object of his 'affection' (CD's) is just more acceptable socially speaking, especially considering his status and bank account. Nevertheless this habit wreaks havoc in his life, his job and alienates his family, just like drugs do.

What I found most fascinating was his explanation of the process of addiction. There is a constellation of factors which need to be in place for someone to become an addict. His proposals to end the vicious circle of drugs-related crimes and addiction were astonishing and groundbreaking imo.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
I thought the example of his own son being 'addicted' to writing his blog was also a good one. Whether it be drugs, unreasonable shopping habits or obsessively writing one's blog, it's still dissociation, a denial of reality, a quest for something which has always been missing.

It did enlighten to me to see how many socially acceptable addictions there actually are when looked at from an addictive point of view. Clearly the little ones can be just as detrimental as the bigger, more obvious ones.
I really enjoyed the comparison of passion and addiction. The analysis made it very clear the difference between the two, and how we perceive some of our addictions as passions. Unfortunately i do not have the book at hand to get the exact quote :cry:

Huxley said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
I thought the example of his own son being 'addicted' to writing his blog was also a good one. Whether it be drugs, unreasonable shopping habits or obsessively writing one's blog, it's still dissociation, a denial of reality, a quest for something which has always been missing.

It did enlighten to me to see how many socially acceptable addictions there actually are when looked at from an addictive point of view. Clearly the little ones can be just as detrimental as the bigger, more obvious ones.
I really enjoyed the comparison of passion and addiction. The analysis made it very clear the difference between the two, and how we perceive some of our addictions as passions. Unfortunately i do not have the book at hand to get the exact quote :cry:

Hey Huxley,

No need to worry because that quote was in the initial post for this thread. Here it is again. :)

… Any passion can become an addiction; but then how to distinguish between the two? The central question is: who’s in charge, the individual or the behaviour? It’s possible to rule a passion, but an obsessive passion that a person is unable to rule is an addiction. And the addiction is the repeated behaviour that a person keeps engaging in, even though he knows it harms himself or others. How it looks externally is irrelevant. The key issue is a person’s internal relationship to the passion and its related behaviours.

If in doubt, ask yourself one simple question: given the harm you’re doing to yourself and others, are you willing to stop? If not, you’re addicted. And if you’re unable to renounce the behaviour or keep your pledge when you do, you’re addicted.

There is, of course, a deeper, more ossified layer beneath any kind of addiction: the denial state in which, contrary to all reason and evidence, you refuse to acknowledge that you’re hurting yourself or anyone else. In the denial state you’re completely resistant to asking yourself any questions at all. But if you want to know, look around you. Are you closer to the people you love after your passion has been fulfilled or more isolated? Have you come more truly into who you really are or are you left feeling hollow?

Passion is divine fire: it enlivens and makes holy; it gives light and yields inspiration. Passion is generous because it’s not ego-driven; addiction is self-centred.

Passion gives and enriches; addiction is a thief. Passion is a source of truth and enlightenment; addictive behaviours lead you into darkness. You’re more alive when you are passionate, and you triumph whether or not you attain your goal. But an addiction requires a specific outcome that feeds the ego; without that outcome, the ego feels empty and deprived. A consuming passion that you are helpless to resist, no matter what the consequences, is an addiction.

You may even devote your entire life to a passion, but if it’s truly a passion and not an addiction, you’ll do so with freedom, you and a full assertion of your truest self and values. In addiction, there’s no joy, passion or assertion. The addict lurks shame-faced in the shadowy corners of her own existence. I glimpse shame in the eyes of my addicted patients in the Downtown Eastside and, in their shame, I see mirrored my own.

Thanks for putting up this information Turgon! I read the book a few years ago when we were struggling with our daughter's addiction issues. It really helped us cope and understand the deeper issues contributing to her addiction. And how we could use the tools outlined in the book to be supportive in her recovery. Since then I have recommended the book many times, for many different addictions, as others have shared in this thread. The portion below I have written down in a small book as a daily reminder on how to deal with personal compulsions, like obsessive cleaning :shock:

While some addictions are more severe than others it is good to have a go to method to use when the addicted brain falls into 'maladaptive habits of thinking or acting'. The reminder of 'regular practice with conscious awareness' is very helpful, always providing insights.

Turgon said:
Continued...

Four Steps, Plus One

This chapter outlines a specific method that I view as promising for behavioural addictions – for example, shopping, gambling and eating compulsions – or for anyone wishing to disengage from maladaptive habits of thinking or acting. Its other value is that it shed further light on the nature of the addicted brain and mind … They will not work if done mechanically, but require regular practice with conscious awareness.

The method Dr. Schwartz and his colleagues have developed applies conscious attention in a systematic, four-step fashion. On brain scans they have shown that the locked circuitry of OCD undergoes a change after a relatively brief period of consistent and disciplined practice by obsessive-compulsive patients. The demonstrated ‘brain lock’ opens up, and the person is freed from the nonsensical thoughts that formerly compelled her behaviour. Can the same four steps be applied to addiction? “I haven’t worked extensively with addictions,” Dr. Schwartz told me, “but given that addiction also involves problems with intrusive urges and repetitive behaviours, there is good reason to think that the four steps could be useful in treatment.”

The four steps should be practiced daily at least once, but also whenever an addictive impulse pulls you so strongly that you are tempted to act it out.

Step 1: Re-label

In step 1 you label the addictive thought or urge exactly for what it I, not mistaking it for reality … “I don’t need to purchase anything now or eat anything now; I’m only having an obsessive thought that I have such an need … Be fully aware of the sense of urgency that attends the impulse and keep labelling it as a manifestation of addiction, rather than any reality that you must act upon … It is strengthened every time you give in to it and every time you try to suppress it forcibly. The point is to observe it with conscious attention without assigning the habitual meaning to it. It is no longer a “need”, only a dysfunctional thought. Rest assured, the urge will come back – and again you will re-label it with determination and mindful awareness.

Step 2: Re-attribute

In Re-attribute you learn to place the blame squarely on your brain. This is my brain sending me a false message.”

It represents a dopamine or endorphin “hunger” on the part of the brain systems that, early in your life, lacked the necessary conditions for their full development. It also represents emotional needs that went unsatisfied … It is not a moral failure or a character weakness; it is just the effect of circumstances over which you had no control. What you do have some control over is how you respond to the compulsion in the present. You were not responsible for the stressful circumstances that shaped your brain and worldview, but you can take responsibility now.

Re-attribution helps put the addictive drive into perspective … If you change how you respond to those old circuits, you will eventually weaken them.

Step 3: Re-focus

The key principle here, as Dr. Schwartz points out, is this: “It’s not how you feel that counts; it’s what you do.”
Rather than engage in the addictive activity, find something else to do. Your initial goal is modest: buy yourself just fifteen minutes. Choose something that you enjoy and that will keep you active: preferably something healthy and creative, but anything that will please you without causing greater harm.

The purpose of Re-focus is to teach your brain that it doesn’t have to obey the addictive call. It can exercise the “free won’t.” It can choose something else … This is not a hundred-metre dash but a solo marathon you are training for. Successes will come in increments.

Step 4: Re-value

This step should really be called de-value. Its purpose is to help drive into your own thick skull just has been the real impact of the addictive urge in your life: disaster. You know this already, and that is why you are engaged in these four steps. It’s because of the negative impact that you’ve taken yourself by the scruff of the neck and delayed acting on the impulse while you’ve re-labelled and re-attributed it and while you have re-focused on some healthier activity.

In the Re-value step you de-value the false gold. You assign to it its proper worth: less than nothing.

Be conscious as you write out this fourth step – and do write it out, several times a day if necessary. Be specific: What has been the value of the urge in your relationship with your wife, your partner, your husband, your best friend, your children, your boss, your employees, your co-workers? What happened yesterday when you allowed the urge to rule you? What happened last week? What will happen today? Pay close attention to what you feel when you recall these events and when you foresee what’s ahead if you persist in permitting the compulsion to overpower you. Be aware. That awareness will be your guardian.

Do all this without judging yourself. You are gathering information, not conducting a criminal trial against yourself. Jesus said: “If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you.”

Step 5: Re-create

Life, until now, has created you. You’ve been acting according to ingrained mechanisms wired into your brain before you had a choice in the matter, and it’s out of those automatic mechanisms that you’ve created the life you have now. It is time to re-create: to choose a different life.

… Write down your values and intentions and, one more time, do so with conscious awareness. Envisions yourself living with integrity, creative and present, being able to look people in the eye with compassion for them – and for yourself. The road to hell is not paved with good intentions. It is paved with lack of intention. Re-create. Are you afraid you will stumble? Of course you will: that’s called being a human being. And then you will the four steps – plus one – again.

Thanks for the re quote Turgon, i skim read the quotes unconsciously to throw my 20 pence in on the actual book :-[

It is on my top 4 most helpful books list! I thought he did a great job of discussing addition from various angles. I liked how he describes addiction as a process that is expressed/manifested in a variety of substance and behavioral ways and how he puts it all into a continuum. It made so much sense to me!

This book also ties in well with "Chronic PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving" by Pete Walker.

A belated thanks for posting about this book, Turgon. I agree that it's a very valuable read. These are some of the things I liked about it:

• Showing that the real root of addiction is emotional pain, not accidental chemical dependency. It explodes the commonly touted 'War On Drugs' myth that everyone has an equal chance of being addicted to drugs if they try them -- rather, people who are already isolated and suffering are more likely to become addicts, and to perpetuate their own addiction because they lack the social and emotional resources to feel whole. This allows one to shift their attitude from one of blaming the victim (i.e. 'it's their own damn fault they're addicted') to one of compassion with an eye towards seeking rehabilitation, by searching for ways to heal emotional wounds and eventually meet these needs in other healthier ways. The Rat Park experiment is a good way to show the direction of causality in a straightforward way.
  • Showing that addiction is not always drug-related, but can be connected to nearly anything that provides a temporary dopamine hit. Since passion and addiction can sometimes look similar from the outside (and can also be confused by the experiencer themselves), I like the diagnostic questions Maté offers -- for example, does this activity steal valuable time that I should be spending with my family or others that I care about? Does it disrupt my schedule and keep me from fulfilling my responsibilities? Does it provide an escape from thinking about hard issues or decisions? Or does it enhance my life, allow me to be creative, and/or to give back to others in some way?
  • In a more esoteric sense, it's interesting to think about how drugs and other addictive substances/activities perpetuate the cycle of 'loosh' extraction. If there are entities which feed on our negative emotions, then it would be in their interest to prevent emotional wounds from healing once they've been inflicted. Maté's discussion shows how an addict is conditioned to prevent their emotional wounds from closing because they only treat the symptoms -- sort of like continuously scratching an itchy scab so that it never has a chance to heal and is therefore always weeping.

Shijing said:
A belated thanks for posting about this book, Turgon. I agree that it's a very valuable read. These are some of the things I liked about it:

• Showing that the real root of addiction is emotional pain, not accidental chemical dependency. It explodes the commonly touted 'War On Drugs' myth that everyone has an equal chance of being addicted to drugs if they try them -- rather, people who are already isolated and suffering are more likely to become addicts, and to perpetuate their own addiction because they lack the social and emotional resources to feel whole. This allows one to shift their attitude from one of blaming the victim (i.e. 'it's their own damn fault they're addicted') to one of compassion with an eye towards seeking rehabilitation, by searching for ways to heal emotional wounds and eventually meet these needs in other healthier ways. The Rat Park experiment is a good way to show the direction of causality in a straightforward way.
  • Showing that addiction is not always drug-related, but can be connected to nearly anything that provides a temporary dopamine hit. Since passion and addiction can sometimes look similar from the outside (and can also be confused by the experiencer themselves), I like the diagnostic questions Maté offers -- for example, does this activity steal valuable time that I should be spending with my family or others that I care about? Does it disrupt my schedule and keep me from fulfilling my responsibilities? Does it provide an escape from thinking about hard issues or decisions? Or does it enhance my life, allow me to be creative, and/or to give back to others in some way?
  • In a more esoteric sense, it's interesting to think about how drugs and other addictive substances/activities perpetuate the cycle of 'loosh' extraction. If there are entities which feed on our negative emotions, then it would be in their interest to prevent emotional wounds from healing once they've been inflicted. Maté's discussion shows how an addict is conditioned to prevent their emotional wounds from closing because they only treat the symptoms -- sort of like continuously scratching an itchy scab so that it never has a chance to heal and is therefore always weeping.

Thanks for the summary of points Shijing. The second point struck me particularly. I think that whenever I do something, there is an intuitive sense of whether the activity is one that is actually productive or something that is depleting and destructive. When I don't have this sense, I feel quite lost. Taking a few steps back, the issue of addiction becomes clearer. Healing from addiction means making more intelligent choices, developing the ability to distance oneself from one's desires or compulsions and bringing light into the mental processes that dictate the choices that we make. Without a conscious appreciation of oneself and the impulses that govern one's actions, the pull of addictive tendencies become that much more difficult to separate from.

It is very sad to read the stories of the people who, due to horrifying childhood experiences, have become empty shells of themselves and finally succumb to the effects of addiction, be it through ill-health, disease, or overdose. Dr. Mate shows his characteristic compassion when he talks about his patients and sees his own emotional hunger reflected in them. When first listening to his talks I was struck by how "deliberately calm" he was when addressing his audience. His presence exuded a very grounding effect that tended to still the mind. It felt like he had a somewhat meditative state of mind, which would allow one to enjoy a depth and breadth of thinking AND feeling.

The bigger picture shows that the PTB is a huge culprit in perpetuating this system of suffering through their so-called "intelligence agencies" which supply drugs to the population which ends up feeding this "hunger". Well, this applies to the US and their CIA, maybe the powers of other countries are not so demented as this.

Turgon said:
Here's a really good talk with Gabor Mate up on youtube discussing addiction and some of the answers he's found as to the causes and ways of eventually overcoming it. It's from a few years ago but still relevant. It's also been posted up on SOTT with a full transcript added on as well in case it's easier to read it instead of watch the video.
[...]

Thank you for posting that video Turgon. I have watched it before, and re-visiting it was very much worth it. Gabor Mate's honesty about his own condition, his addictive personality and his foibles really shines through and is what makes this presentation so meaningful to me. I don't think it takes a small dose of courage to be forthright about the fact that you don't embody what you write in your books every second of your life. A point that needs to be driven home is that looking outside of ourselves for solutions to our perceived defectiveness is not the answer. Our disconnection from our essence - due to lack of early attachment, which is nothing more than a mirroring of our essence - is the ultimate cause of addiction, neuroticism, and other "negative" states of being. How to re-live the essence? Through the body.

He mentions that he also does yoga work - which is what I have been doing lately and it has been a huge benefit in lessening neuroticism and living a more holistic and centered existence.

Two thumbs up. Highly recommended especially to those who found Gabor's books enlightening. What a way to live what you preach.

Thank you for starting the thread Turgon, ordered the book after reading your post and look forward to reading it soon! :)

Yeah, thanks. I've listened to the audio twice and it's great! I have Hungry Ghosts, so I think I'll move it up on my to read list.

Back
Top Bottom