Increase in animals attacks

Representational Image
Representational Image

A child was killed and three others were injured in yet another wolf attack in Uttar Pradesh's Bahraich district. An official said the wolves attacked three children - aged three, six, and nine - in Kharighat's Chhattarpur on the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday.

The official said that before the teams could reach the scene, the wolves had already moved to the nearby village of Raipur, where they attacked and carried away a five-year-old child from his parents' home.

As many as eight people, including seven children and a woman, have so far died in similar attacks over the past two months in the region.

Earlier Tuesday, Bahraich district magistrate, Monika Rani, held a meeting with village heads to make people aware not to sleep in the open.

How Forest Officials Are Warding Off Killer Wolves

The Bahraich district magistrate and senior police and forest officials have been leading the ongoing efforts to control the situation in Mahsi tehsil since March.

The divisional forest officers of four districts have also been involved in the operation.

They are using high-frequency drone cameras to monitor the wolf pack.

The forest department has also been using elephant dung and urine to divert the wolves' route when the attack occurred.

"We identified six wolves using high-frequency drone cameras. Out of these, three have already been captured. Our primary goal is to ensure the safety of villagers by first driving the wolves away from residential areas," the news agency PTI quoted IFS officer, Akashdeep Badhawan, who is leading the special operation, as saying.

"The dung is set afire to create a scent that simulates the presence of elephants. Wolves, which are pack hunters, tend to avoid large animals like elephants. By creating this illusion, we aim to push them away from inhabited areas. We have also set up traps with bait in remote areas," he said.

Divisional Forest Officer Ajit Pratap Singh said there have been approximately 30 attacks over the past 40 days.

He said the wolves follow a specific pattern as they attack children sleeping in their homes and drag them to secluded areas to kill and consume their body parts.

Recently, the wolves have altered their attack timings following the increased night patrols by the Forest Department, police, and local residents, Mr Singh said.

Idaho Fish and Game has released more details about Sunday’s grizzly attack in Island Park in the following news release.

ISLAND PARK — On the morning of Sunday, Sept. 1, an archery hunter was attacked by an adult male grizzly bear west of Henrys Lake in Island Park. The man was hunting elk with a friend on the Caribou-Targhee National near the Divide Creek Road when the attack occurred.

During the surprise encounter, one of the hunters was knocked down and bitten by the bear. Both men were able to utilize their sidearms to shoot the bear, deterring the attack and killing the bear.

The hunters were able to call 911 and the injured individual was transported by helicopter to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center where he is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

RELATED | Adult male grizzly bear attacks archery hunter in Island Park

Fish and Game responded to the scene after coordinating with Fremont County Sheriff’s Office, Caribou-Targhee National Forest and Emergency Medical Service teams. Conservation Officers conducted a thorough investigation and determined that the hunters acted in self-defense during a surprise encounter with the bear from a very close distance.

“I am extremely grateful that both of these individuals survived this encounter,” says Fish and Game Regional Supervisor Matt Pieron. “I have had the opportunity to speak with the injured hunter and his family, and they are truly wonderful people. I wish him a speedy recovery from his injuries and the trauma these two hunters experienced.”

Grizzly bears are protected under state and federal law, and Fish and Game would like to remind hunters that grizzly bears may be encountered in north Idaho and the Greater Yellowstone areas.

Here are some good reminders when hunting in grizzly country:
  • Carry bear spray and keep it readily accessible.
  • Hunt with partners and make each other aware of plans.
  • Look for grizzly bear signs, including fresh tracks. Let partners know if you do see sign.
  • Retrieve meat as quickly as possible.
  • Hang meat, food, and garbage at least 200 yards from camp and at least 10 feet off the ground.
  • When not hunting, make noise, especially around creeks and thick vegetation. Most attacks occur by inadvertently surprising a bear at close range.

Four golden eagle attacks in five days
Norway 8-9 Sep 2024

These highly unusua, never heard incidences just happened in Norway (i have heard they were later 5 in total). Here is the translation of the article i found:

Four golden eagle attacks in five days:
- Completely abnormal behavior, according to ornithologist

Even golden eagle expert Alv Ottar Folkestad had never heard of people being attacked by the majestic bird. But then, in the space of just five days, there were four attacks in four different locations in Norway.

1.jpg
MARKED: Francis Ari Sture shows off the injuries he sustained after being attacked by a golden eagle on his way down from Glittertind.
PHOTO: FRANCIS ARI STURE

- “Eagles attacking humans is so unusual that I haven't found any mention of it before, apart from very old stories that have not been confirmed. This is according to the golden eagle expert Alv Ottar Folkestad of the nature conservation organization Birdlife. He says that just one documented case of a golden eagle walking towards a human would be a sensation. In the past week there have been four (!) cases. - It seems incomprehensible that it can happen. Especially the attack on this child,” he says.

On Saturday, a 20-month-old girl in Orkanger in Trøndelag was attacked.

2.jpg
SURPRISED: Ornithologist Alv Ottar Folkestad. PHOTO: ARNE FLATIN / NRK

According to Folkestad, eagles can be frightened if you get too close to them in the wild, but for a child to be attacked by several people in a courtyard is very strange. He says that the eagle was only one year old, and that it hadn't yet started hunting.
- “There is no logic in what happened. It's a black hole. It's an abnormal behavior,” he says.

Young eagles

Folkestad has seen pictures from all four attacks. According to him, they are all done by golden eagles that have just come out of the nest.
“They've only been out for a month or two, and there must have been four different birds. There is quite a large geographical distance between the attacks (see map below).

3.jpg
KILLED: The young golden eagle was euthanized after a child was attacked. PHOTO: PER KÅRE VINTERDAL

The first attack happened at Tyin last Tuesday. Arvid Flæte filmed a golden eagle attacking him, which lasted more than 20 minutes before it gave up. It was Sogn Avis that first reported the incident.

Less than two days later, Francis Ari Sture was on his way down from the top of Glittertind when he too tasted the wrath of the golden eagle. He did not see the eagle before it attacked. Suddenly he felt a thump on the back of his neck. - “I was very scared, my adrenaline was pumping,” says Sture to NRK.

The eagle then landed two meters away from him. Sture began to roar and wave his arms.
- “It was just before my eye went. I was scratched quite a bit on my arm, but I managed to throw it to the ground,” says Sture. He believes the eagle attacked six times and that he eventually used his backpack to defend himself. Sture managed to call his father, who then called the emergency services. He was picked up by taxi at Spiterstulen and then went to the emergency room.

Got a deep cut in the back

A day later, about 250 km further north, Marianne Myrvang was attacked by a golden eagle as she was crossing the field outside her cabin in Holtålen in Trøndelag. - “Something big and heavy landed on my shoulders. And I thought - what in the world is going on?” Myrvang tells NRK. She says the eagle flapped, and that it became full of wings and feathers around her head. - “That's when I went down on my knees, because I couldn't stand.

4.jpg
Mariann Myrvang suffered a cut on her shoulder and several wounds on her back. PHOTO: INGE MYRVANG

Suddenly the eagle was right in front of her.

- I think I managed to tear her loose and throw her down a bit. I'm not quite sure where it happened. She looked at me and looked quite confused. Myrvang says it was very unpleasant, and that she cried out for help. Her husband came with a branch and chased the eagle away. But it didn't fly far, it stayed on a rock on the outside of the fence. Again Myrvang sat, with a deep cut. “The claws have gone quite far into his back,” says Myrvang, who was given penicillin and a tetanus shot at the hospital.

5.jpg
HAD TO GO TO HOSPITAL: Mariann Myrvang was attacked by an eagle in Holtålen in Trøndelag.

Child attacked

Approximately 24 hours later, a golden eagle was killed in Orkland municipality. The eagle had to pay with its life after it attacked a 20-month-old girl who was out playing. - The eagle came out of nowhere and grabbed the little girl. The mother jumped in and grabbed the eagle, but had to fight to get it to let go. A neighbor also had to help the mother and the little girl,” says the girl's father.

5.jpg

THIS IS WHERE THE ATTACKS OCCURRED:
Tyin on Tuesday, Glittertind on Thursday, Holtålen on Friday and Svorkmo on Saturday.

The girl had to have a couple of stitches in the back of her head and has scratches from the eagle's claws under her chin and on her face. Both adults and children were playing in the courtyard when it all happened. The girl was put under general anesthesia for a full check on her injuries, but everything seems to have gone well. - “It's been very traumatizing for the mother and the older siblings who were there when the attack happened,” says the father.

Thinks it feels threatened

- It's pure aggression. It has nothing to do with hunting. They don't regard humans as prey,” says golden eagle expert Folkestad. - What is most likely is that they feel in a defensive position. That they are afraid of a creature they have never seen before. And then it may be in them that what becomes an attack is triggered by a need to defend themselves. He denies that the eagle attacks as a result of hunger. He says the eagle may go after a large fish, a cat or a hare or a newborn lamb. He says they will not bring a human with them. - “It won't be the hunting instinct that is triggered,” he says.

Possible joker

Folkestad says it should be checked whether the eagle is ill. He calls it a possible wild card after all the attacks. - “We have previously seen abnormal behavior in sea eagles after illness,” he says. - So the attacks could be due to illness? - It should at least be checked.

7.jpg
TOOK A FOX WITH HIM: In 2021, hobby photographer Jan Lars Nesje took these pictures of a golden eagle flying off with a dead fox. The fox was laid out as bait, and Nesje thinks it may have weighed around 6 kilos. [ Note: on the original site, there is a video of the mentioned scene from years 2021 (35 sec)]

Don't shout and wave

So what should you actually do if an eagle is coming towards you? - Try to get out of the situation. Don't provoke them,” says Folkestad. - “They may be yearlings that aren't quite ready to fly, or that are sitting down and are unsure. If you resist, you could trigger an attack,” he explains. “You absolutely must not shout and wave. - It probably doesn't make sense to calm the creature that is in an attack position,” says Folkestad.

END OF ARTICLE

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
Four golden eagle attacks in five days
Norway 8-9 Sep 2024

These highly unusua, never heard incidences just happened in Norway (i have heard they were later 5 in total). Here is the translation of the article i found:

Four golden eagle attacks in five days:
- Completely abnormal behavior, according to ornithologist

Even golden eagle expert Alv Ottar Folkestad had never heard of people being attacked by the majestic bird. But then, in the space of just five days, there were four attacks in four different locations in Norway.

View attachment 101222
MARKED: Francis Ari Sture shows off the injuries he sustained after being attacked by a golden eagle on his way down from Glittertind.
PHOTO: FRANCIS ARI STURE

- “Eagles attacking humans is so unusual that I haven't found any mention of it before, apart from very old stories that have not been confirmed. This is according to the golden eagle expert Alv Ottar Folkestad of the nature conservation organization Birdlife. He says that just one documented case of a golden eagle walking towards a human would be a sensation. In the past week there have been four (!) cases. - It seems incomprehensible that it can happen. Especially the attack on this child,” he says.

On Saturday, a 20-month-old girl in Orkanger in Trøndelag was attacked.

View attachment 101223
SURPRISED: Ornithologist Alv Ottar Folkestad. PHOTO: ARNE FLATIN / NRK

According to Folkestad, eagles can be frightened if you get too close to them in the wild, but for a child to be attacked by several people in a courtyard is very strange. He says that the eagle was only one year old, and that it hadn't yet started hunting.
- “There is no logic in what happened. It's a black hole. It's an abnormal behavior,” he says.

Young eagles

Folkestad has seen pictures from all four attacks. According to him, they are all done by golden eagles that have just come out of the nest.
“They've only been out for a month or two, and there must have been four different birds. There is quite a large geographical distance between the attacks (see map below).

View attachment 101224
KILLED: The young golden eagle was euthanized after a child was attacked. PHOTO: PER KÅRE VINTERDAL

The first attack happened at Tyin last Tuesday. Arvid Flæte filmed a golden eagle attacking him, which lasted more than 20 minutes before it gave up. It was Sogn Avis that first reported the incident.

Less than two days later, Francis Ari Sture was on his way down from the top of Glittertind when he too tasted the wrath of the golden eagle. He did not see the eagle before it attacked. Suddenly he felt a thump on the back of his neck. - “I was very scared, my adrenaline was pumping,” says Sture to NRK.

The eagle then landed two meters away from him. Sture began to roar and wave his arms.
- “It was just before my eye went. I was scratched quite a bit on my arm, but I managed to throw it to the ground,” says Sture. He believes the eagle attacked six times and that he eventually used his backpack to defend himself. Sture managed to call his father, who then called the emergency services. He was picked up by taxi at Spiterstulen and then went to the emergency room.

Got a deep cut in the back

A day later, about 250 km further north, Marianne Myrvang was attacked by a golden eagle as she was crossing the field outside her cabin in Holtålen in Trøndelag. - “Something big and heavy landed on my shoulders. And I thought - what in the world is going on?” Myrvang tells NRK. She says the eagle flapped, and that it became full of wings and feathers around her head. - “That's when I went down on my knees, because I couldn't stand.

View attachment 101225
Mariann Myrvang suffered a cut on her shoulder and several wounds on her back. PHOTO: INGE MYRVANG

Suddenly the eagle was right in front of her.

- I think I managed to tear her loose and throw her down a bit. I'm not quite sure where it happened. She looked at me and looked quite confused. Myrvang says it was very unpleasant, and that she cried out for help. Her husband came with a branch and chased the eagle away. But it didn't fly far, it stayed on a rock on the outside of the fence. Again Myrvang sat, with a deep cut. “The claws have gone quite far into his back,” says Myrvang, who was given penicillin and a tetanus shot at the hospital.

View attachment 101226
HAD TO GO TO HOSPITAL: Mariann Myrvang was attacked by an eagle in Holtålen in Trøndelag.

Child attacked

Approximately 24 hours later, a golden eagle was killed in Orkland municipality. The eagle had to pay with its life after it attacked a 20-month-old girl who was out playing. - The eagle came out of nowhere and grabbed the little girl. The mother jumped in and grabbed the eagle, but had to fight to get it to let go. A neighbor also had to help the mother and the little girl,” says the girl's father.

View attachment 101228

THIS IS WHERE THE ATTACKS OCCURRED:
Tyin on Tuesday, Glittertind on Thursday, Holtålen on Friday and Svorkmo on Saturday.

The girl had to have a couple of stitches in the back of her head and has scratches from the eagle's claws under her chin and on her face. Both adults and children were playing in the courtyard when it all happened. The girl was put under general anesthesia for a full check on her injuries, but everything seems to have gone well. - “It's been very traumatizing for the mother and the older siblings who were there when the attack happened,” says the father.

Thinks it feels threatened

- It's pure aggression. It has nothing to do with hunting. They don't regard humans as prey,” says golden eagle expert Folkestad. - What is most likely is that they feel in a defensive position. That they are afraid of a creature they have never seen before. And then it may be in them that what becomes an attack is triggered by a need to defend themselves. He denies that the eagle attacks as a result of hunger. He says the eagle may go after a large fish, a cat or a hare or a newborn lamb. He says they will not bring a human with them. - “It won't be the hunting instinct that is triggered,” he says.

Possible joker

Folkestad says it should be checked whether the eagle is ill. He calls it a possible wild card after all the attacks. - “We have previously seen abnormal behavior in sea eagles after illness,” he says. - So the attacks could be due to illness? - It should at least be checked.

View attachment 101229
TOOK A FOX WITH HIM: In 2021, hobby photographer Jan Lars Nesje took these pictures of a golden eagle flying off with a dead fox. The fox was laid out as bait, and Nesje thinks it may have weighed around 6 kilos. [ Note: on the original site, there is a video of the mentioned scene from years 2021 (35 sec)]

Don't shout and wave

So what should you actually do if an eagle is coming towards you? - Try to get out of the situation. Don't provoke them,” says Folkestad. - “They may be yearlings that aren't quite ready to fly, or that are sitting down and are unsure. If you resist, you could trigger an attack,” he explains. “You absolutely must not shout and wave. - It probably doesn't make sense to calm the creature that is in an attack position,” says Folkestad.

END OF ARTICLE
Very strange. If it was in one area we could dismiss it as one crazy bird but it seems to be widespread phenomenon.
I vote for illness, possibly parasites affecting the behavior of the eagle.

Back
Top Bottom